Sign in to follow this  
ZLF

Player ratings v Cardiff

Green     6  Dealt well with shots,  seems to be lacking confidence.

Colin      7 Good game, used ball well and defensively sound, always available for the ball and linked well with Zipper.

Doc        6 Never under threat

Davnport 6 Outpaced by Jerome a couople of time in the second half but generally in control. 

Drury      6 Defended well but needs to use the ball better

Hughes   6 Shocking miss caused injury by emabrrassment?!?!

Zipper    6 Good effort but a bit peripheral at times.  Looked class but delivery not great.

Safri      6 Defensively sound but passing not up to usual standard.  Harshly booked.

Jarrett   7 Only midfielders to get beyond strikers and caused problems for Cardiff when he did - Ashton miss most notable.  Came into his own in the second half.

Hux       5 Too many dead ends and too little end product

Ashton  6 At times seemed to want to collect ball, cross it and head it in; left his shooting boots at home.   

Hendo   6  Much better than in midfield but little output for tremendous energy put in. 

Brennan 6 Too limited as a player for central midfield generally but adapted well and had best game of season  

Flem 6 Only on a short time but did nowt wrong.

These may seem harsh but it was a wonderful victory not a great performance. 

The most striking thing was that apart ALL players were starting in a normal position.  I know Hughes was wide right but he played much of his Reading career there.  As a result we had a far better shape than in any other game I have seen this year - it does make that much difference. Hopefully the win will bring some confidence, improved performances and a decent run to move us up the table.

Finally anyone else struck by how anonymous both Koumas and Cooper were?  They were shadows compared to our midfield.

OTBC

Generally agree with you there zipper, but felt it was a good team performance and a well deserved win.   Yet again we created bag fulls of chances in the first 30 minutes, but as they weren''t being converted started to try different things which was frustrating large sections of the crowd, you know the people that just scream get it in the box, when there is no one there, lol.

Anyway I thought our possession and ball distribution was excellent and the best home match I have seen this season.

I am glad you rated Jarrett highly as he has got a slamming by some others on here and from the crowd last night too.   He is definitely low in confidence at the moment and that was causing his mistakes, but as the game wore on he came on leaps and bounds and I can see him being very useful if given a decent run of games in the centre.

I was surprised WLY got MOM, as he was non-existant for large parts of the game, but played well when he did get the ball and put in bag fulls of effort.   I thought the Doc deserved MOM thought.

Isn''t it funny how people were so against Doc, but now he looks like one of our star players.

I was annoyed to hear Neil Adams on the radio saying about fans wanting Holt, Flemming and Edworthy out last season and now we are missing them.     The only reason that people like me wanted them out Neil is because Nigel had Safri, Shackell and Helveg sidelined in favour of those players.  I agree that we could do with them now, but only because Shacks is out, our replacements for Helveg and Eddy are no better and the midfield is struggling for fit players.

fair summary, the only thing I would disagree with would be

Green 5 - distribution poor, too route 1 too often, and almost cost a goal at the death coming and flapping at a ball the defence had covered, with Koumas screwing the chance just wide

Doc 7 solid as a rock

Davenport 5 - outpaced yes but nearly cost us a goal with that shocking slice into the air in the second half

Green 5 - Poor kicking and flapping at high-balls. Not commanding the box like he should be.

Drury/Davenport/Doherty 7

Colin 6 - One of his better games and improved as the game progressed especially going forward but defensively he still concerns me. Like a statue at times in the first-half. Maybe I get a different perspective from the Barclay upper (jarrold side) to ZLF?

Hughes 6 - My son reckons that''s been his best performance so far.

Jarrett 6  (Based on an average of 5 for first-half and 7 for the second after he''d changed his slippers)

Safri 6 - A rash challenge duly reciprocated.

MCVeigh 7 - Worth his motm.

Ashton 5 - Did he hit the target?

Huckerby 5 - Its no coincidence that NCFC''s best performances (Hull and Brighton) coincided with a good game by Hucks. His form has undoubtedly dipped. Some tame attempts (albeit more accurate than Deano) but his (successful) dribbling runs which were a feature of 2003/4  are diminishing.

Hendo 7 - Worked hard and some good touches. Not really a goal threat though.

Brennan - Dicky''s whipping boy played well in the 2nd half.

Fleming 6 - Do I believe my eyes? Surely, you''ve had a lapse there ZLF?

[quote]clearly hendo was better than a six he should start each game!!!!![/quote]

Hi norwich babe05 and welcome.  I know I am middle aged, spreading with dimming eyesight but you dont need to shout.

I am glad you enjoyed Hendos performance (hearing the ground sing his name was a welcome first!) last night.  Can you tell me what you like about it so much to start each game and get more than a 6?

As I said I thought his energy was excellent and he put himself about a lot.  However I cant recall a mjor contribution to the game from him.  I am not having a dig at him, in my book a 6 is average, 5 below par and 7 good.  Given our injuries I am happy for him to start again against Wolves.

OTBC 

I just wrote a review but i turned my back for one second and its now gone, but anyway my ratings very simply for last nite were;

Green: 6

Colin: 7

Doherty: 7

Davenport: 7

Drury: 6

Safri: 6

Hughes: 6

Jarrett: 6

Huckerby: 7

Henderson: 6

Ashton: 6

McVeigh: 7

Brennan: 6

Fleming: 6

[quote]jphucks 06 - hucks 7 ????? did i miss something ??[/quote]

Do many people admit to doing a below average job?   I think JPs name give us a clue - not much anonymity there is there!

OTBC 

Green: 6

Colin: 7

Doherty: 7

Davenport: 7

Drury: 7

Safri: 8

Hughes: 7

Jarrett: 7

Huckerby: 7

Henderson: 7

Ashton: 8

McVeigh: 7

Brennan: 5

Fleming: 7

My problem is that I thought everyone put the effort in (apart from Brennan), and the mental effort too, which has often been lacking, so I find it difficult to criticise them. There were a couple of flashes of the Hux of 2 seasons ago, and he tackled back tirelessly. We played some good possession football, but clearly lacked confidence in front of goal. It happens.