Sign in to follow this  
Saint Canary

Deano

I have no doubt that Ashton will regain his form soon and start banging in the goals.  However his loss of form may actually do us a favour, in that it reduces the risk of him leaving come January.

The main question I wanted to ask was, does anybody know how many goals he had scored for Crewe at this point last season?

Same applies for Greeno - can''t see many teams coming in for him in Jan.  Set us up for second half of the season and our promotion push.

...but by the same token Saint if Deano is still struggling for form would (a) he still want to stay in a poorly performing team and (b) would we be better off cashing in the chips if it hasn''t really worked out with him after a whole year?

may i say i remember ashton saying that nigel worthingtongave him his chance at the top and that he would repay him by doing norwich a favour (as in not leaving us and hopefully getting us back into the premiership):whistling

Terrier - I don''t think he''s being played out of position - I think he''s playing out of position. It seems to me that he''s trying to "do a Gerrard" - carrying the team, doing the midfield thing as well as scoring goals. And I think he could do that. I like the idea of a 3-pronged attack of McVeigh, Henderson and Ashton, with Ashton coming from deep and one of the others dropping back to cover.

Deano''s a hero - absolutely maximum effort. The goals will come back for sure.

Deano does seem to have lost his shooting boots a little of late, but isn''t it a good position to be in that he''s scored 7 at this stage of the season and we''re worried he''s lost form ;-) That''s more than most of our strikers over the last 10 ears have scored all season. Pure class.

[quote]...but by the same token Saint if Deano is still struggling for form would (a) he still want to stay in a poorly performing team and (b) would we be better off cashing in the chips if it hasn''t really...[/quote]

I really think he will stay Tumble.  I also think he will turn the corner and end up with 20+ goals this season.  It''s not surprising he is struggling for form at the moment, so far this season he has been paired with Hux, Leon, Henderson, McVeigh, Lisbie and Jarvis.  Thats 6 different partners in 17 games and in the some of those games he has 3 different players alongside him in one match.  He has had no time to form a partnership with anyone.

Strikers, just like defenders need the right partner to bring out the best in the them.  Shearer (no matter how well he has done since) always looked a much better player when paired with Sutton.  I really think that Ashton needs players being close to him, what we really need to do to get the best out of him is maybe the return of Leon and for a midfielder (maybe Jarrett or new signing) to make more forward runs.