Sign in to follow this  
shardy

And now for something completely different

How many people have noticed how slow moving games are these days. What I mean is of the 90 mins that a match is played how much of that time is the ball actually in play. It takes an age to take throw ins, goal kicks, free kicks players going down fiegning injury to get the game stopped (for example michael rickets for cardiff after his embarrassing shot stayed down holding his shin, ref stops play, he gets up nothing wrong) I''d be surprised if we actually get to see 65-70 mins of playing time this can''t be good for football.

I for one am getting very annoyed about this and the fact that the refs, don''t even seem to notice until the crowd start getting aggravated then he motions for play to continue.

On tuesday in the 2nd minute of the match against cardiff my brother said to me they''re playing for the draw here, How right he was, it was funny to see them rushing around trying to get the game going when they were 1-0 down.

But to be fair to cardiff they''re no worse than any other side in this div and that includes my beloved Norwich, as a paying fan i want value for money and that means 90mins of football not 70 mins of football and 20 mins of a load of grown men being pathetic rolling round on the floor as if they''ve just had their precious pedicure ruined, or taking an age to get the ball back into play cos they can''t be arsed to run around for 90 full mins.

I''m so tempted to take a stop watch to the ground on a match day and keep stopping and starting it when the ball in play or out of play just for my own piece of mind more than anything else.

What are all your views on this subject

I read somewhere once that we lose about a tenth of the game overall due to the time the ball is out of play. What I will say is that the amount of stoppage time played these days seems a lot more than used to be the case say 15 years ago when the referee just added on what he felt was right. We regularly get 4 or 5 minutes at the end of a half these days - don''t remember that happening back in the day.

Funny how it always seems to be 4 minutes + if we are trying to hang on to a lead .

Shardy, quite a good shout.

unfourtuantly, this is the way the game is going these days, and nothing will stop it. Face it, if you were at carrow road when we beat manchester united, being 2-0 up some 20 minutes to hold on, every time we got a free-kick or throw in and took our time i got a sense of relief, when we are winnning and doing it its not problem.

however we are losing and the other team are doing it is a totally different matter.

Its a ''rules for one and rules for another'' thing.

personally, i think it is all part of the game now days, everyone does it.

AJ just becuase everyone does it doesn''t make it right, and when either side is winning, you can understand it to a certain extent but when after 2 mins of a match and 0-0 to be able to say they''ve come here for a draw it''s a bit much isn''t it