Sign in to follow this  
morty

Strikers for Saturday

Ok everybody, whats the plan? Hucks is obviously first on the team sheet at the pointy end ( I look forward to welcoming him back to HQ Sexy football) but who plays with him? Is it Iwan?? But what about neon leon? Do we play Iwan and Leon up front with Hucks just behind?? Do we finally start the most gifted young striker we''ve had for ages (Jarvis of course) with Hucks?? I really don''t know, I hope NW does, but I suspect he''ll go with 4-4-2 with Hucks and the gap toothed welshman!! Any thoughts?

All this Iwan talk is really quite disturbing. There''s absolutely no doubt in my mind - it''s all McKenzie, baby.

I''m sure Iwan has all the talent in the world (hmmm) but he can''t magically gain the pace of a 20 year old (unless medical science has moved on a step or two since I last looked)

Think about it. When ever Huckerby has been paired up with Robbo they have formed a good partnership. Something like 6-8 goals between them. Iwan and Huckerby for me. Then replace one with Leon to snatch a couple at the end.

This is a hard one. I think Worthy will go for Iwan, and give him 60mins. Which gives neon leon 30mins to come on and score score score. The one good thing about Iwan is his capability to hold the ball up, and lets hope his distribution is as good as the Cardiff game. I hope Worthy will start Brennan again and leave hendo on the bench. And i would love to see Mcveigh give Heckingbottom hell down the right. OTBC

Iwan may be slow but as Stan says, he can hold the ball up and he''s the only one that can do that at the mo. Remember the difference he made against Preston a couple of seasons back? Interesting to see the thoughts about playing Hux in the whole, that''s OK but it means dropping someone from midfield (see many previous posts!). I suspect we''ll see Brennan on the left and McVeigh on the right with the youngsters keeping Rivers off the bench once more.

I think it will Iwan aswell, he''s not quite finished yet although he''s clearly not the player he was. My main problem with Iwan playing is not really Iwan himself, it''s the fact that when he plays the team can sometimes end up just launching erractic high balls downfield in hope that he will get his head on it
I would like to see Leon though, he''s strong and I think he could hold the ball up well, Ok so he''s not a 6 footer but neither was Mark Hughes and I don''t recall seeing many players better at holding the ball up than him.

This argument about holding the ball up always amuses me - the only reason Norwich need someone to do this is because the team pump long balls out of defence completely bypassing the midfield. The reason they do this is because they''re trying to pick out someone who can hold the ball up! Play Leon, force the team to be more creative. Norwich can play very very good passing football, the only thing is, they have to want to!

agree with you totally windy

we have to stop this long ball crap now

we will never get away with tactics like that next season in the premiership, time to get it all out of our system and start playing proper football, worthy has at last realised that is the key to success, and he has now got players in (hucks and mckenzie) to do it, IF he plays mulryne every game

having said that, he might start off with iwan, considering the opposition on saturday, he and hucks have formed a good partnership and if iwan is in the box for crosses (not balls pumped from the defence) these two can probably take bradford apart, however, on a footballing basis, i would like to see hucks and mckenzie, or jarvis given a go

Couldn''t agree more Windy - holding up the ball is not an attribute I would be looking for in a striker. Frightening when you think thats the role Heskey is associated with in the England team. However, as displayed at the weekend Iwans ability to rough players up can cause defences trouble. Particularly ours it seems...

I have to join the list of people praising Windy, and suggest that poor old Iwan can have an effect on the style the team plays rather than anything else. Remember our play-off run? Well, of course you do, but my point is that we played McVeigh and Neilsen up front - neither of whom are the most challenging in the air. After our dour 1-1 draw at home to Grimsby where we tried to play long ball to these two, we learnt to keep the ball on the floor and thus began our run to Cardiff!!

I can see the merits of a good target man - especially as a foil to Huckerby (look at his partnership with Crouch), but if we can get the ball down with players like Mullers, McVeigh and Hucks, it''s hard to see where we can go wrong!! Having said all that, I still think Worthy will persist with Iwan on Saturday.

Oh, and the point about Mark Hughes - don''t forget he played when football was a contact sport! These days, Mark Hughes would be sent off every game. In fact, with the likes of Van Nistelrooy, Kewell, Pires, etc. on the prowl - you don''t have to touch a player to give away a free-kick!!

I really think you should have the option to get the ball down and play, use a target man and work the ball down the flanks. I prefer to see good passing football but I also think that being able to play in a variety of ways makes it hard for the opposition to settle and keeps them guessing. I think Iwan will play Saturday, i''d rather see Mckenzie though. At the end of the day I just want a win (and not seeing Malkay launch the ball on a mission to mars everytime he has it)

Mark Hughes sent off every match? Probably so, doesn''t take away the fact that he was an excellent player though. I''m pretty sure players like Pires and Van Nistelroy would probably have had him charged for GBH! You fall around like that in Sunday League match, you''d probably get a slap and laughed off the pitch!

Get me not wrong my fellow canaries, having options is a good thing - Crouchy was excellent. However, what I object to is using a frontman when "holding the ball up" is the only string to his violin. Iwan''s other skills have sadly, in my opinion, creaked and twanged off a while back, and this orchestra needs Leon playing his wide ranging notes. That said, I fear NW is a bit tone deaf in this department so I wouldn''t be surprised to see old Iwan, bless him, start.

I agree Windy, while I want Leon to play i''m pretty sure it will be Iwan. In my opinion Iwan''s all round game is just not as good as it once was.
I think Crouch is an excellent footballer and his height and strength just happen to be a bonus on top of all the other "footballing" attributes. Iwan as you said, doesn''t have as many strings to his bow as he used to.

Saint Canary, don''t get me wrong - Mark Hughes was a fine player who scored many a fine goal, I was merely observing that the old-fashioned centre forward is becoming very rare in the modern game. Alan Shearer is the last of a dying breed, sadly. I love watching strikers who give their centre backs hell, but referees these days seem to jump so quickly on any sort of contact that these players aren''t as effective as they once were.

But you''re right about Iwan, his touch isn''t quite what it was but I still suspect he''ll be starting on Saturday. Obviously my hope now is that Iwan proves us all wrong and bags a hatrick on Saturday.

Somehow all 3 will play I dont know how he''ll do it but we will see Iwan, Hucks, and Leon all starting against Bradford.

If NW hasn''t seen the light after Iwan''s debacle against Everton he never will. Sadly the big man was way out of his depth. Granted Bradford are no Everton, but as Delia says ''upwards and onwards'' this MUST exclude Iwan at all costs. My selection- Hucks and Leon through the middle with Paul (sort his contract out) Mcveigh and Rivo providing the width. For a more cautious away approach, chuck PM over to the right and bring in JB. Hendo is not an option-yet. OTBC