Sign in to follow this  
still holding out for new heroes

Whats wrong with Hucks?

i definitely noticed hucks wasnt quite with it last nite as well!!

he didnt play badly but looked lackluster and not really that bothered, which i''''m sure is just because he is tired.  i''ve never understood why if we are attchcking down the wing, he''ll wait behind our attacking player so he can have it, we get nowhere doing this?

oh well, good win last nite!!!!

Hucks is certainly having a severe lack of form and is as stated a shadow of his former self.  There are four possible reasons for this:

1) He is tired and is not 100% match fit from a previous injury.
2) His is carrying a slight injury
3) He is suffering from loss of form due to being played in several different position recently, normally changing mid-match.  3 different positions played in against Sheffield Wednesday.
4) He has gone stale.  Someone pointed out to me recently that with the exception of Coventry, he seems to come into a club, make a real impact and then die out a bit. 

Not too sure about option 4 but Hux is definately a confidence player.

[quote]Hucks is certainly having a severe lack of form and is as stated a shadow of his former self. There are four possible reasons for this: 1) He is tired and is not 100% match fit from a previous injur...[/quote]

Option 3 for me. I like Hucks, but I do think he thrives on consistency. Last season he was played consistently at left mid and did okay for us. This season he''s been moved up front only for every time to be moved back to left midfield at half time.

I also think like everyone they''re suffering from a lack of confidence.

I think he''s lost a couple of MPH due to age and probably lack of effort on the training ground. Hucks main strength is that speed. However I also think he prefers playing the one-two with a player in a central role pushing forward and not down the wing on the overlap with Drury. Francis used to provide him with that one-two whilst surging forward. No one has replaced Francis''s role.

OK Hughes pushes forward and had great energy, but his passing and finishing have been appaling. If Hucks doesn''t get the right midfielder with pace to play off, we might as well drop him.

Someting is up, as he is simply not having the impact he should - is he just marked out of it as he was frequently surrounded by 3 blue shirts?

One thing I still cant do is question his desire to perform - that was evident, but for whatever reason its simply not happening.

Is it the constant changing from left to roght wing to striker then back again, or just confidence or both?

His class will always come good again - and we are must worse without him that with; and I thought he was our worst player last night.

OTBC

[quote]I thjnk he is just a bit tired!![/quote]

Tired? 

Of what - life, football, norwich, running, defending, KTF v WOB,  ball boys throwing a second onto the pitch, doing that peculiar jump for a header where his feet leave the ground but his head stays at the same height???

I hope its not physically - they only have to work hard for 3 hours a week 46 weeks of the year...

OTBC

I agree that Huckerby hasnt quite been himself this season, but i thought that he was quite impressive last nite. I felt that his crossing quality was actually really good, and unlike previous matches he was real treat and really didnt look like doing something everytime he got the ball. Yes he did hav one really poor corner(hitting the 1st man) but on the whole i felt that he everytime he got the ball, he chose the right option, and keep possession very well.

tired???? possibly.

Hucks being a class Football Player, any opposition knows how he is going to play his game. I mean have you ever noticed instead of taking the ball down too level with the 6 yard box before crossing it in. He will 99% of the time always cut inside virtually level with the 18 yard box. The opposition knows this and are waiting to close him down before he gets to the penalty area because a player of his speed to stop him  a defender is liable to give away a penalty should he miss time his tackle when in the penalty area.

He should really alter his style of playing and keep them guessing at the moment he is not doing that and they can read him like a book.

Chris  

There is another point about Hux that I have pointed out before.  Our players react differently to him than the other players on the pitch, almost in a school boy fashion.  It''s like they deem him to be the most skillful player and far too often (sometimes always) look to give him the ball.  All too often he is given the ball in positions where he should not receive it and where he has no chance of causing the opposition any difficulties.  I think the players give it to him in the hope that he will do "something" when other options may have been the better choice.

[quote]Another very average performance from Hucks last night, unwilling to go outside and final ball consistently poor, a shadow of himself, what gives?[/quote]

That''s exactly what supporters of all his other Clubs have ended up asking.

Although he looks like World beater when he first joins Clubs, sooner or later (normally sooner, but in our case later) the form tails off and he becomes no more than an average player who occasionally, very occasionally, has a half decent game.

This is why he has had so many Clubs and why he hasn''t, until now, stayed at any of them for very long.

Still having said that, I still like the bloke.

However, I think he has a big chip on his shoulder, he''s a bit of a sulker and his attitude currently leaves a lot to be desired. 

He''d undoubtably do us, and himself, a big favour if he snapped out of it, got a grip and got on with doing what he does best.

I have been thinking what Saint expressed in this last post- I think we give it to Hux way too much in no-win positions and expect him to "do his thing" and conjure something out of nothing. Time and again he gets hospital balls booted cross field or down the line and he is expected to run on, beat two defenders and put in a miracle cross. Its too predictable, just as we bash it up to Deano too much.

With a more tactically astute manager we would have a team which realised this and played Hux at the right times. Its no wonder the poor soul gets fed up.

[quote]Tired? Of what - life, football, norwich, running, defending, KTF v WOB, ball boys throwing a second onto the pitch, doing that peculiar jump for a header where his feet leave the ground but his h...[/quote]

Unusually acerbic Zipper.....

Maybe being the most fouled player in the Prem is more than a mere statistic?

Just as persisitent heavy hits wear out rugby forwards and boxers get ground down by repeated blows, maybe Hucks is feeling the effects of all those trips, hacks and pushes?  His may not appear a physical game but the treatment he receives has to be tiring and to sap something from the soul.  Pele''s (I know Hucks and Pele in the same sentence is going a little OTT but hear me out) spirit burned out in the mid sixties from all the brutal treatment he received.  It''s not just the physical pain but also the frustration of knowing what you want to do but having it forcefully snatched away.  It must make you want to weep to always be so thwarted.

Pele rediscovered his mojo in 1970.  Hucks''s will also return.  To misquote Delia, a good player does not turn into a bad one just like that!!!!

United in our love for

[quote]like the rest of the team struggling to adapt back to life in the championship[/quote]

simply that

it is a team effort, its quite easy to point the finger, but just because huckerby isnt filled with confidence at the moment like any other player in the team, losing 4 games in a row, thats quite a bad feeling. I dont expect him to run rings around the opposition every game, but he has been struggling recently, but given the teams form it is understandable

I am not quite sure why he isnt doing what he did in the promotion season. He is still only 28 so i can only think it is lack of confidence and not fitting into the teams tactics

I think the trouble is partly just that he has set very high standards over the last 2 seasons.

03/4 he was the best player in the league, by a distance. Incredible. Last year, and looking at the season highlights video again the other night, he showed he can trouble Premiership defences.

This year...should just be a matter of time...but needs support on the rhs to stop us being so one dimensional.

Spend the Morrison £2m on a proper right winger... 

What''s wrong with Hucks? This is weird - I thought he played well last night! He wasn''t by any means at his unmarkable best of 2 seasons ago, but he made a couple of runs that reminded me of then, and I haven''t seen any of that this season. He also tackled and worked really hard. He is a bit chunkier now and doesn''t accelerate quite so well, but maybe (like ''03-''04) he''ll start the season late!

[quote]Unusually acerbic Zipper..... Maybe being the most fouled player in the Prem is more than a mere statistic? Just as persisitent heavy hits wear out rugby forwards and boxers get ground down by repea...[/quote]

You know what Cambridge - I think i must have been ............................... tired - probably emotionally after a win

OTBC

[quote]That''s exactly what supporters of all his other Clubs have ended up asking. Although he looks like World beater when he first joins Clubs, sooner or later (normally sooner, but in our case later) the...[/quote]

You could NOT be more wrong  , Plans for !  While Hucks would be in his rights to have a chip on his shoulder , given the idiot , so called , managers that have been inflicted on him [ keegan !!!]     its just not in his nature to hold grudges , nor does he EVER sulk  ,  hear this ...   keegan   thanked Hucks for getting Mancity back into the prem  , by  sticking him in the reserves  almost contuously  , whilst he went on a wild spending spree ,  buying  , so called , prem players , most of whom were duds !  practically ruining Mancity ,  SUCH  was the ego of Keegan , that  he NEVER called Hucks back to the first team , even though  they were in the relegation zone , and  fell over his arse to sell him  to us , thereby ridding himself of the  nasty thought  that he`d done Hucks wrong ...

During ALL his time in the reserves , Hucks  ALWAYS gave 100% ,   because thats the character of the man !    don`t ever believe  that  we would  have reached the prem without him  , and while we were in the prem   , I would say that  he was the sole influential player !!!    

All the way through  that season , Hucks had to watch  MOST of his crosses  being wasted by the , so called , strikers  ....  and , I believe , its THIS that is , finally , getting him down !   strikers who  can`t stick the ball in the net , and a keeper  who lets `em in   like  he`s short sighted  !!  ...  ther ARE limits  .

[quote]You could NOT be more wrong , Plans for ! While Hucks would be in his rights to have a chip on his shoulder , given the idiot , so called , managers that have been inflicted on him [ keegan !!!] ...[/quote]

Hi Sheded

I have read your response to my synopsis several times and I have come to the conclusion that you are actually Darren Huckerby.

MPFN

[quote]Hi Sheded I have read your response to my synopsis several times and I have come to the conclusion that you are actually Darren Huckerby. MPFN[/quote]

So THAT was a  " synopsis "   I often wondered what they looked like !  ...