Sign in to follow this  
allways travelling

loans why lack of them

Just wondered if anyone knows why we have not brought any one else in as we do seem do be down to the bare bones in midfield.Surely it can not be financial as we have done nothing since the 2 mill offered for morrison.There was talk of sunderland midfielder cant think of his name but i did like him would have been a good addition. And strong links to primus in papers at weekend either us or plymouth were in the running for him.Everything regards loans seem to have dried up unless like year before last when we signed three to four players in the space of a week.Lets hope he has some signings to help us over the xmas and new year in mind.

[quote]Just wondered if anyone knows why we have not brought any one else in as we do seem do be down to the bare bones in midfield.Surely it can not be financial as we have done nothing since the 2 mill off...[/quote]

I think it''s going to be hard to identify any quality players (ie from the Premier League) that clubs are going to be willing to let go.  We are not the only team with injuries and clubs are going to be reluctant to loan out players during a period where the games come thick and fast.

There have been rumours that players (ie Matt Holland) would welcome a spell on loan but it is yet to be seen whether their clubs would be quite as willing.  The more worrying thing for me is that Worthy has not yet (publicly) acknowledged a problem in the midfield.  So if a loaner was found it is questionable as to whether it would be in that position.

Think for a moment about the knock-on effect of Worthy "publicly acknowledging we have a problem in midfield". What would this do to the confidence of the midfield players at the club? Do you want them to run out onto the pitch thinking "I am a problem that will only be solved by getting a loan player in to replace me"?

After all, look what happened to Leon''s confidence when Steve Bruce let slip that we were bidding for Clinton Morrison. It fell off a cliff.

In football, as in business, managers have to play their cards close to their chests. Worthy''s lack of comment on specific team selection issues is good management, not bad.

It is possible that players don''t fancy coming on loan to us at the moment as we are hardly setting the league alight.  If we are back in the top six by Christmas then we might be a bit more appealing.

[quote]Think for a moment about the knock-on effect of Worthy "publicly acknowledging we have a problem in midfield". What would this do to the confidence of the midfield players at the club? Do you want the...[/quote]

I don''t really think the midfield problem and Leon are even slightly comparable.  Looking to spend £2m on a new striker, when we have some very capable ones already is nothing like looking for players in a position where we are down to the bare bones.

We currently have 1 fit midfielder in Jason Jarrett.  Marney is out for at least 3 months, Hughes is out and Safri is 50-50 to play at Wolves and will be off to the ACN soon.  How is going to knock the players confidence if they are not available to play anyway?  The players are not stupid they must realise we need a body or two in that area and it''s not as if he cannot talk to all those players and make it clear he needs to bring in some short term cover.  Unless he is unable to talk to his own players?

I wasn''t criticising Worthy as such but if, as you say it is good management to play your cards close to your chest and not announce transfer targets.  Surely then you will feel that earlier in the season it was bad management when despite having 4 fit centre backs Worthington boldly announced several times he was looking to bring in a new defender?  Or not?