Sign in to follow this  
rieg77

Worthy out......then what???

As a fan who has yet to be convinced by those encamped in the ''Worthy Out'' category I''d like to open up this post for suggestions of a strategy that the club should adopt. What I mean is, assume they sack Worthy (its just an assumption for the moment, don''t get so excited), what then??

Its my understanding that the board would have to spend a significant amount of the clubs kitty to pay Worthy off and attract the right manager to the club. That would mean a vastly reduced transfer budget and since most Worthy outers would point at a lack of quality in the squad its therefore reasonable to assume a new manager would have to be followed by new players.

As players cost money (in both wages and transfer fee), we would most likley have to sell off our stars to improve overall. Thats if anyone wants them. Ashtons reputation (and therefore value) must have taken a dent this season, ditto Green and Huckerby.

So if we want to hang on to our stars (or we can''t sell them for the right money) then the only other options are stick with the players we have (and hope that the new manager can turn monkeys into megastars) or gamble away our prudent financial plan in the hope that we make it to the playoffs.

I''m as disappointed as the next man about our recent form but I''m not convinced everyone has thought this through. Please prove me wrong.

Its a good question!!. Sure to get rid of Worthy will cost us money, but it does not necessarily mean that we will have to sell players as a result. A new manager will probably replace the coaching staff, resulting in new ideas and a new regime. A new manager will also mean that the "slate will be wiped clean" in terms of any differences players may have had with Worthy etc, which in turn could improve morale, remove any tension around the club, improve performances on the pitch. We may not be able to afford new players but may not need them if a new manager is able to exploit to the full the potential of our squad.

I am not a "Worthy Out" advocate, I am however concerned about what is happening at my beloved club (despite all the assurances something is wrong somewhere - it is not all down to bad luck on the pitch), but I have faith in the Board to do the right thing by Norwich City and its supporters. 

[quote]As a fan who has yet to be convinced by those encamped in the ''Worthy Out'' category I''d like to open up this post for suggestions of a strategy that the club should adopt. What I mean is, assume they ...[/quote]

Good points well made Rieg77, it''s a big risk but just because it''s a slow day at work though, I''m going to play devil''s advocate.

You say that sacking Worthy and then adding to the squad would be to "gamble away our prudent financial plan".  What if though, Worthy stays all season and we don''t get promoted?  What if he has another bad start next season and we again end up not getting promoted?  How would that affect our prudent financial plan?  Quite severly I would say due to the loss of the parachute payments, we will then see our best players leaving on the cheap.

I have been saying along that this is not an easy decision for the board to make, there is a lot of risk involved for them.  I for one would not want to have to make the decision.

Inresponse to the heading..  Thats like saying I like my underpants and they are comfy and doing a good job today so I wont ever change them!  Eventually they simply wont be doing the job properly and will let you down (probably quite soon!)   That is where I think we are with Nige - he has done a good job but cant do any more for us.

A good post, well put Rieg despite my flippance above.  I agree that removing Worthy will eat into the budget and more importantly is an uncomfortable step into the unkown.  That risk has to be balanced against the possibility of either relegation (if the very worst happens) or missed promotion.  A £1m pay off compared against a lost parachute payment of £6-7m... or the cost of dropping ino league one pales against that pay off; I know it is unlikely, it is not impossible though - just ask Weds, Citeh or Forest who also thought they were too good to go down (twice in the case of forest!)

It does not automatically follow that there will be a player exodus if worthy is sacked.  If leaving worthy in charge means we sit in 18th or below then I would suggest that some players will be begging to go in any event. 

A new manager could bring a renewed optimism, a change in routine, better tactics, develoopment of staff, deployment of players in beneficial positions, a focus on energy AND USING THE FOOTBALL, increased understanding and co-operation on field, ability to attract loan players that would all help the team.  That sort of change could move us up the table and encourage players to stay as they see their confidence rise and a possibility of promotion rises. A new broom sweeps clean does have some merits, ask Palace post Dowie.  Likewise some clubs go through several managers unil it gets better - us post Walker. 

There are always pros and cons and at this stage it is an entirely theoretical discsussion as its an ifs and buts conversation and, more importantly the board have made their decision crystal clear.  

However we should not let the fear of the unknown cloud our judgement if things take a return to the worst. 

OTBC

[quote]Good points well made Rieg77, it''s a big risk but just because it''s a slow day at work though, I''m going to play devil''s advocate. You say that sacking Worthy and then adding to the squad would be to...[/quote]

Good points well made. Thanks for the response.

If we don''t get the decisions right over the next 2 seasons and get back to the prem then we''ll have lost a big opportunity to move the club forward (and a great deal of money as well). Our prudent financial planning will suffer a severe tightning of the belt (somthing along the lines of going from bernard manning to posh spice in belt size) and its difficult to see how the club would continue to progress under those much tighter parameters, with the vultures swooping for cut price deals for fcr''s finest.

I agree that a new manager might be able to spark an upturn in the current crop of players performances but we would surely need to add to them to stand a decent chance of promotion.

I''m totally with you in not wanting to make the decision myself.