Sign in to follow this  
ZEMAS TENDON

ANDY HUGHES

I''m sorry but I think what you have just said is complete rubbish. Him and Safri and one of the best midfield partnerships in the division, in my opinion

[quote]I''m sorry but I think what you have just said is complete rubbish. Him and Safri and one of the best midfield partnerships in the division, in my opinion[/quote]

I second that will prove to be a great buy.

To me Hoooozey is a man in the wrong job - super communicator, good with the fans, a positive influence on the team due to his motivational skills, definite leadership skills that are otherwise missing in this squad. He looks like a decent future manager to me.

He has a good engine but unfortunately I agree with Zemas assessment on his footballing ability.  He is good at the one touch lay off but anything requiring a second touch or thought is beyond him - he simply relinquishes possession far too easily.  I think it was FilletTFW who said its pointless him winning the ball as he gives it straight back again! 

As far as tackling is concerned he spends far too much time with his backside on the floor (rumours that his back side is his preferred foot are unfounded) and dives in for too many reckless challenges.  For ball winning Safri beats him hands down.  

As far as a partner for Saffers is concerned I would like to see a bit more of JJ - I thought he got better as the game went on and his fitness levels seem to be improving.   JJ still has a lot to prove but he has more to his game than Hooooozey. 

Having said that the brief 6 minutes of Hughes on the right flank suggests he could fill that role for us as an alternatve for when Zipper is next out of favour... 

Sadly he has done nothing to make me reassess my first impressions of him.

OTBC

ZEMAS leave hughes alone the guy has been hampered with injurys so far this season and has hardly strung any games together this season so is struggling for form.

Do you not get the impression though Zipper that both Hughes and JJ were brought in as squad players?  I''m sure that Worthy (at first) felt that Francis would stay and that his first choice partnership would be he and Safri.

[quote]I''m sorry but I think what you have just said is complete rubbish. Him and Safri and one of the best midfield partnerships in the division, in my opinion[/quote]

i third that, he is a good player, gets behind everyone and take control on the pitch, something we have lacked a bit this season.

However, at time he can be absolute rubbish, like 1 on 1 with the keeper and he skies it, he has to improve that.

but again, after a miss like that, id be kicking myself more than much else, whereas hoozey is straight back in the midfield clapping everyone for the greatness of the move and trying to get everyone going.

Oh yeah ?

And according to many other posters we''ve also got the best goalie, the best central defender (Davenport), the best winger (Huckerby), the best striker (Ashton), the best squad and the best Manager.

Somehow, I don''t quite think so.

[quote]ZEMAS leave hughes alone the guy has been hampered with injurys so far this season and has hardly strung any games together this season so is struggling for form.[/quote]

He''s been a complete waste of half a million pounds. Reading fans were well chuffed to get any money for him. You can see how much they miss him eh?

Hopeless footballer, Sunday League clogger.

And he''s played most games by the way mate, try buying a programme.

Whilst we are slagging some players for their abilities......

Assists this year in the league:

Leading the category with 4 is Marney (cross for Ashton v Cov, McVeigh v Brigton, Doc v Hull, long range shot saved Lisbie rebound v Watford).

Second is..............................

With 2 assists:    Davenport (header v Millwall with Marshall flapping, header v Cardiff),
                        Brennan (Cross for Ashton v Stoke, cross that skimmed Davenports head v
                        Cardiff) 
                        or Colin (Cross for Ashton v Plymouth, cross v Millwall that Marshall flapped at).

The point being that all are creative players aren''t creating. Safri, Hucks, Macca, Hughes, JJ, Jarvis, Henderson, can boost 4 assists between them.

SaintCanary, i totally agree with you that Hughes and JJ were brought as backup to Francis and Safri. I think JJ will improve with time, and can see him doing what Safri did last year, when he came into the team

[quote]Totally overrated.. goes round clapping everyone.. trying to gee everyone up.. but if you ask me he is a poor mans gary holt..[/quote]

Sorry have got 2 disagree, Hughes a supreb leader! and Safri, along with hughes a great CM partnership!

Limited Footballer.

For all his tubthumping and shouting and geeing the players up he needs to improve - shooting , passing , retaining possession , tackling and staying on his feet.

Perhaps if he worried as much about that as he does about going to all 4 stands to applaud the fans after another woeful display , then we would be clapping him instead..

And don''t get me started on Jarrett - never facing the opposition goal , no wonder he can only pass back...

Why are we slagging off a player who provided something we all knew we were lacking (leadership on the field), who has put in great effort all the time, and who has turned in decent performances? Is it because he isn''t Roy Keane or Viera? In that case, let''s have a go at all the other players in the squad. Get a grip.

He works his socks off.... I''m just not convinced that he has the ability to impose himself enough in the centre of midfield (similar to Lee Marshall a few years back).

It takes a real talent to be effective in there... Safri has it... he knows where to be and when... too often the rest of the midfield are chasing players... Saff somehow just knows...

I think Hughes would be really effective as a centre-back/full-back where shear hard work can see you though (maybe even on the right wing), but as we saw with Holt last season, working your socks off isn''t always enough.

That said you''ve got to love him for his enthusiasm... if you wanted one player around for team spirit he''d be our new Malky/Iwan! Must be why Reading fans were so keen on him. 

Typical Norwich "nice little club" mentality!

Norwich is the only a club where you can become a "hero" or a "legend" just by being hard working, industrious, committed, dogged, brave and plucky, even if the end result is woeful, dire or utterly ineffective.

I dont want to insult players but there have been many such players (i.e., Hughes) who at another, more ambitious club would have been axed by more ambituous ruthless and astute manager (i.e., Coppell) then would have put this money to better use (i.a., Lita.)

Interesting to read the various comments on our midfield and everyone''s opinions. For what it''s worth here''s my view.

1. There is not nearly enough creativity at the moment, which unfortunately has been lost to "hard work".  Hucks has been nowhere near as effective as last season and lost lost a couple of yards of pace - it really shows

2. How many penetrating passes do we get a game from the midfield. I don''t know what the stats are but I''d bet it was very few.

3. We have three similar style midfielders in Jarrett, Hughes & Safri. Admittedly they of differing levels of quality but they all seem to want to stay in the same part of the pitch. I''m not sure if it was luck, coincidence or any other factor, but Jarrett had by far his best game (or half) in a City shirt in the second half vs Cardiff when both Hughes and Safri were off the pitch.

4 Hughes wide on the right? I''m not at all convinced and I don''t think that he''s is good enough to either beat a player or be a good crosser of a ball. I still believe that cross to Ashton in the Palace game was a fluke!  I also don''t think he''s got a enough discipline to play that role. The ball is a like a magnet to Hughes, and he''ll chase after it. We''re really struggling for width on the right, especially as Colin seems to drift inside, and playing Hughes there will make the problem worse.

5. We have not acquired a goal scoring midfielder to replace Francis. How many times has the ball been cleared the by oppo to the edge of the box and we look up and see the midfield 30 yards away. One of them needs to get up and support more. The problem is that it not their natural game to do that.

6. Do we have anyone, Marney aside, who can actually cross a ball?

All in all - very poor, and we all wonder why we''ve scored so few goals this year !