Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Why doesn't everone just shut up

You know what our trouble is - we talk a good game. Or at least the players/manager/club do.

We''ve got more spin than the Government.

Week after week, before each game, we get all these statements from the players predicting a brighter future/good game/new tactics/end of goal droughts/change of luck blah blah blah.

Just look at this week - Drury - Master Plan, Doherty - Fortune to Favour City, Ashton - Time to Deliver, and there have been many others recently - Green - sooner or later we''re gonna stuff someone. And the spin doesn''t end there - it continues after the matches as well - we played well, we''ve only played one bad game this season, we were unlucky etc etc

Every week they spurt out this never ending stream of garbish that invariably turns out to be wrong.

What is the purpose of it - who are they trying to convince - us, our opponents, themselves perhaps. Do they really think that we are that gullible and that we actually take any notice of rubbish.

Wouldn''t it be better if everyone connected with the Club just kept their big mouths shut and let the feet do the talking on the park.

Then, when the team has actually performed up to expectations they can revel in their glory and we''ll all be delighted to read about "how they did it"

[quote]You know what our trouble is - we talk a good game. Or at least the players/manager/club do. We''ve got more spin than the Government. Week after week, before each game, we get all these statements f...[/quote]

Not so long ago I seriously considered starting a pressure group - something like "Campaign Against Banality in Sports Reporting" - in the end it was only apathy which stopped me.

I''m equally tired of the endless stream of pointless quotes issuing from the mouths of - it has to be said - mainly footballers and football managers. "We''ll win this one for the boss" etc etc. But they''re only talking to journalists who need to pad out their latest programme or column. And the journalists only do this stuff because it sells.

If I''m honest, if I see a flash of yellow and green on the front of the Evening News I''m more likely to buy it because, half subconsciously, I think "Hello, something''s happening at Carra Rd, might be good news, better find out..". By the time I turn to the back page only to see "Roberts says City can beat Wolves" Archant have my money, and I''ve had a little (if ultimately unsatisfying) fix of NCFC. As drugs go, it''s relatively harmless!

But this is just what the board wanted. Cetain members of our board worship at the alter of New Labour and have obviously had training at spin and avoiding the big questions.

Anyone at the AGM would have experienced it. I readily admit I went there to say my bit but after the first few cap doffers had had their say me,and all of the other shareholders who sympathised with the ''Worthy out'' point of view had the same feeling ie. ''This has been manipulated so if you tell it how it is you risk being humiliated''

Call me a coward but me and my Bury chums left after question 11 (I think). It was pointless so we retired to a pub agreeing that Worthy will eventually have to go anyhow, unless our board really are that thick!

Frankly this never ending pouring out of players quotes is extremely embarrasing. Is there anyone out there who really believes all this tripe? Of course they are not going to say what they really feel are they?

I also fell that this moral outrage against the message board rumours is simply a diversion for the real problems.

I hope the board are proud of themselves because they have made the national press with these crocodile tears and in doing so started to destroy the image of supporters who are the best in the land.

To drag Leon into the latest PR excercise simply doesnt wash. If Leon was worried about his child at school why didnt he come out with all this a few months ago? No, it stinks of diversary tactics and a lot of supporters buy it!!

I hope and think that the board are not stupid but they have dugged themselves into an ever deepening hole and sometime soon the nettle will have to be grasped. I appeal to them that when they do, please do not blame or involve the supporters in the delayed decisions.

The irony is that we have a board of talented people who are experienced in running businesses (except Delia of course!) I just do not know how they could have sat there on Monday night and listened to pathetic mind wandering explanations from Worthy as to why we have been awful for the last 15 months. It has often been said that a team reflects the personality of the manager.

I just do not understand the boards motives. The spin that comes out via the media is unbelievable and Iam beginning to wonder what are the motives behind all this.

Finally Iam happy to disclose my identity together with all like minded supporters.

I''ve got a better idea! lets close down this website, put a gag on all players speaking to anyone, shut the doors of Colney, and play all games behind closed doors so no one knows anything about Norwich.........in fact, lets all dig a big bunker in our backyard, and never surface.....ever.

Football is big business, everyone wants to know whats happening to their club.

It is exaggerated journalism, used to sell copies / increase viewing figures, but i''d prefer a headline of "we''re going to stuff them" over "i think we might win" anyday of the week

THey should leave the talking to the pitch. This weeks statements have been ok because they havent really said much. However i had a feeling when Hughes said we had the best squad in the league and when Hux said we were going to give one of our rivals a hiding - that we werent going to get a result at the next match.

Can''t fault these posts. If Nigel & the team perform as well as they talk, we''ll be top of the League by the end of the season!

Well, what are they supposed to do? The media approaches the players, not the other way around. When a reporter asks a player his opinion, is he meant to tell them to go away, stare at them in silence until the reporter goes away; what? And if they did that, you guys would moan that the players never give any indication they care, or that they are a bunch of ignorants who don''t want to take the time to communicate with their fans. Or perhaps you''d prefer the players to say something along the lines of "yep, we played badly and I really can''t see us playing much better for the rest of the season. I would advise the fans to save their money and stay at home on match days"? And how long would it be before you moaned about that being reported every week?

The papers have column inches to fill; it''s entirey up to you whether you read it or not.

There is one aspect of this thread which is quite unfair.

When the discontent first became EDP news, there was a critical piece by, I think, Chris Wise (I don''t have the paper now and if that is wrong then please correct me).  Not only did it raise the question of what happened at Fulham and compare Norwich''s prem campaign with Wigan and West Ham but it also made it clear that the journalists are fed up with the quotes from players.  He was scathing about them and the fact that he had to repeat them in his copy.

Yes it is boring and insulting but blame the club and or the players,,,, not for once the EDP

For God''s sake.... stop telling us and just show us....PLEASE!!!!!!!

United in our love for City

[quote]Forum Member, Is that your picture on there wow your fit if it is[/quote]

Sorry but no - it''s a picture of Mylene Farmer - French pop singer

And yes, she is fit

[quote]But this is just what the board wanted. Cetain members of our board worship at the alter of New Labour and have obviously had training at spin and avoiding the big questions. Anyone at the AGM would...[/quote]

If you think New Labour invented spin, check out the Bayeux Tapestry again. Or the Rosetta Stone.

[quote]You know what our trouble is - we talk a good game. Or at least the players/manager/club do. We''ve got more spin than the Government. Week after week, before each game, we get all these statements f...[/quote]

See I told you - what a idiot Drury looks now !

When will they ever learn ?