Sign in to follow this  
mini me

Davenport 2 for the price of 1?

Escaping from the many "Worthy out" posts,

Is it me or is Callum Davenport bringing the best out of Doherty, with them two together at the back we are getting better and better at the moment, but have only been hindered by a lack of midfield.

When callum was suspended against QPR and doc was paired with Flem, to me, he just did not look the same player, yes I know perfectly well the whole team had an awayday!and prior to his arrival as well.

So my question is If and when NCFC decided to buy Davenport are they in fact buying 2 defenders and on the flip side if we let him go at the end of his loan will we loose 2 defenders????

Seems good VFM! yes i know we have already shelled out for Doc, but you get my drift!

I only support two teams.................Norwich and anyone playing ip%$£ch

Irrelevant - Spurs will not sell him.

Maybe they''ll do us a favour and take Doherty back too seeing as how they play so well together !!

No.

It was playing with Fleming against top class opposition that brought the worst out in Doherty.

Do not fear - when Dav goes back, Shackell will come in and we have a rock solid defence for years to come ... or, if I know Nigel Worthington, Fleming will move back inside.

I believe that you''re right, MM; there is a confidence between the two and the Doc is playing really well at present. I thought that, once again, he was pushing for MOTM last night.

I think this a great point. Thats why they call them defensive partnerships.

Certain player complement others. I think we should seriously think of making a run at signing Davenport.

The trouble is its probably a no win situation.

If he plays really well then the price goes up and others will be interested.

Davenport has brought stability to our defence but I am still not convinced that he is any better than Shackell.    Both play on the left side of defence, are quick, strong in the air, tackle well and are comfortable with the ball at their feet.  One would cost a million at least and the other nowt.

I would like to see, once fit again and probably just after Calum returns to Spurs in just over a months time, shackell given a couple of games with Doc to see if that partnership would work. Everything says it should but then not everything comes off.   If it is just that calum/doc is better than the component parts then we should spend the money, otherwise use the cash on our threadbare midfield.

However if Nige simply wont us shacks with doc and reverts to flem then we simply must buy Calum!

OTBC

Of course if we DID sign Davenport how would Jason Shackell feel? Would we gain one good young defender and lose another?

[quote]Davenport has brought stability to our defence but I am still not convinced that he is any better than Shackell. Both play on the left side of defence, are quick, strong in the air, tackle well and...[/quote]

I''m with you on this Zipper as I think that for all Dav has done, he is no better than Shackell.  I was unable to get a season ticket (unlike this season) and saw Southampton play more times last year than City (never any problems getting tickets at St Marys).  From what I saw from Davenport in the Premier League last year, he was nowhere near as good as Shackell.  When playing for Saints he always seemed to be in the wrong position and he looked generally, very poor.  It may well be he has improved but do we really want to spend over £1m+ on a player that has not proved to be better than one we already have?

[quote]Davenport has brought stability to our defence but I am still not convinced that he is any better than Shackell. Both play on the left side of defence, are quick, strong in the air, tackle well and...[/quote]

I''m with you on this Zipper as I think that for all Dav has done, he is no better than Shackell.  I was unable to get a season ticket (unlike this season) and saw Southampton play more times last year than City (never any problems getting tickets at St Marys).  From what I saw from Davenport in the Premier League last year, he was nowhere near as good as Shackell.  When playing for Saints he always seemed to be in the wrong position and he looked generally, very poor.  It may well be he has improved but do we really want to spend over £1m+ on a player that has not proved to be better than one we already have?

Davenport is a class act and how he can be compared with Shackell is beyond me.  Dav''s distribution, vision, speed and tackling are all way past what Shack has.  We are comparing a much more complete and developed player with someone with potential.  If we keep doing this we are not going to get anywhere and will end up with Fleming in defence with Doc.  SIGN DAV or if this is not possible then look for a replacement for Fleming - for me he is the weakest link (goodbye)

The one common denominator with losses this season in defence is fleming.When shacks was playing the results were no difference to what is happening now,still very poor midfield and missing chances up front.Shacks has not had a game with doc or davenport yet.Last season we all saw the talent the lad had but still a poor partner in flem.This season injuries from the start for him have not helped.I have been to every game this season and as many have said there is nothing to choose between them all except flem.I think shacks also plays with passion something we do not see with many others. 

[quote]Escaping from the many "Worthy out" posts, Is it me or is Callum Davenport bringing the best out of Doherty, with them two together at the back we are getting better and better at the moment, but hav...[/quote]

Yeah, we''re getting a lot better. Only 2 nil down at half time today.

Great partnership developing here