Sign in to follow this  
DumbleDelia is Magic

How many points should we expect before Christmas?

Games between now and Christmas: Wolves (a), Luton (h), Millwall (a), Coventry (a), Derby (a), Crewe (a) and Southampton (h).  Realistically if we are looking for the play-offs (and Worthington wants to keep his job) I''d want 13 points.  This could add up to wins against Luton, Millwall, Crewe and Southampton and a draw at Coventry. 

I don''t think this is too much to ask

13 would be manager of the month progress!  Not impossible on paper, but better than our performance last night.

If we can get a point on Sat it could be a real turning point for us and will give theplayers some improved confidence - especially if we can get some goals in the strikers.

OTBC 

[quote]Games between now and Christmas: Wolves (a), Luton (h), Millwall (a), Coventry (a), Derby (a), Crewe (a) and Southampton (h). Realistically if we are looking for the play-offs (and Worthington wants ...[/quote]

For your expectations to become a reality DD, something has to chance fast, be it:

Worthy sacked (Please)

2 new loan signings (1 striker)

A sudden and dramatic change in form.

I''m sorry, but I really can''t see your 13 points becoming fact, more like 6 points at top, and thats not good enough is it?.

I''m not expecting anything, that much I have learned this season.
However I don''t think 13 points is enough from 7 games if we''re serious about the playoffs.

I''m not too sure about points tally but I really think that we should be looking to be in or close to 6th place in the league.

I have stated this time and time again but come January and the opening of the transfer window we need to be looking like a side who can get promoted.  Otherwise we will struggle to keep players and struggle to attract new signings.

[quote]I''m not expecting anything, that much I have learned this season. However I don''t think 13 points is enough from 7 games if we''re serious about the playoffs.[/quote]

sorry herb, don''t agree with that. despite the start of sheff utd, and reading, things will average out. 2 points a game is automatic promotion on years gone by. yes we have dropped too many points so far, but u have to remember how close everyone else is. If cardiff had won, they would have gone 4th. 13 points from 7 games is easily enough to close the gap on the play off places, and when u consider who we are playing there''s a few 6 pointers involved.

I may have hit the sauce a little early today (it''s awful quiet at the bar and SOMEBODY has to keep the beer moving!), but I can see 14 points!

Draw against Wolves and Derby; beat Luton, Coventry, Millwall and Crewe and accept that jammy Redknapps (no, I didn''t mean Jamie!) Southampton will somehow bodge a win against us once more!

Hey ho! Back to the bar I go!

Wolves (a), Luton (h), Millwall (a), Coventry (a), Derby (a), Crewe (a) and Southampton (h)

Good = 13 points
Ok = 10 points
Bad = under 9 points.

realistically i think:

Wolves 1-1
Luton 1-1
Millwall 1-0 Win
Coventary - 2 goal win
Derby - Draw
Crewe - Win
Southampton - Win

So that adds up to 15? Hmmm mayb we will lose to Southampton of wolves

I bet Luton can''t wait to play us again!! "Oh yay! Another cricket score on the horizon!!"

Before making any rash predictions, either about the number of points at Xmas, or our play off chances, the following facts need to be considered -

1. With the exception of Plymouth, we have failed to beat any of the current bottom 6 teams in the league.

2. With the exception of QPR (-2) and Leicester (-2), everyone else above us has a positive goal difference.

3. With the exception of everyone except Stoke (9) and Millwall (9), we have lost more games than anyone else in the league.

4. We have yet to play Sheff Utd, Leicester, Wolves, Burnley or Preston - all of which are above us. As I write Derby, who we haven''t played yet either, are also winning and they will go above us if they win.

These are hardly the statistics that would substantiate a points total of 13 from the next 7 games and it to me suggests that our points tally between now and Xmas will be considerably less than 13, particularly given (a) our current form, particularly away from home, (b) 5 of the 7 games mentioned are away and (c) neither of the home games will be easy.

To get 13 points from these 7 games we are looking at a required "strike rate" of 62%.

Our strike rate for the season so far is 37% and for the last 5 games it''s only 27% - this means we have got to more than double our current strike rate over these games. In all honestly I cannot see where the improvement required will come from.

Whilst it''s not impossible, it is highly unlikely and therefore, I think we''ll do well to get somewhere between 7 and 9 points (strike rates of between 33% and 43%). Furthermore, the games immediately following the ones mentioned, don''t exactly fill me with confidence either so even though we''re only 5 points off a play off place now, still being in real contention come January is in my opinion, highly unlikely.

On the evidence of my own eyes and ears so far this season I think we will do well to get 7 or 8 points. One win, maybe Millwall away, but I just don''t see wins against Wolves, Luton, Derby or Coventry away, we often struggle against Crewe and Southampton seem to be picking up a bit so I wouldn''t rely on that either.

Unless the management team is rebuilt I see no shred of evidence or reason whatsoever to forecast any sudden improvement in performances and results. Miracles do happen but they tend to be a tad rare.

Isn''t speculation wonderful?
Northern - nice to see I''m not the only blind optimist on the thread!
Lincoln - it''s precisely because Luton will be cocky that we will redress the balance with a 3-0 win
Oops! Glass half empty again - time for a top up!

[quote]Wolves (a), Luton (h), Millwall (a), Coventry (a), Derby (a), Crewe (a) and Southampton (h) Good = 13 points Ok = 10 points Bad = under 9 points. realistically i think: Wolves 1-1 Luton 1-1 Millwal...[/quote]

I maybe think it will be more than 13 point. Because I think them must play very well if them would do what them do like we beat Cardiff.

So I think it would see maybe be one lost or not

My decided of fixture go be.

(A) Wolves 1-1 D

(H) Luton 2-2 D

(A) Millwall 3-0 W

(A) Coventry 2-0 W

(A) Derby 3-0 W

(A) Crewe 1-0 W

(H) Southampton 3-1 W 

Anyone think it was right.

yeh im struggling not to agree with Wiz, a worthy sacking would surely be a possive result.