Sign in to follow this  
nobbyg

Penalties

We have given 7 penalties away this year, does that seem too many to anyone? Granted nearly all of them have been a bit harsh but it is a slightly worrying trend.

I am sure there are more being given in general this year - we have managed to get 5 ourselves.

That means there have been 12 penalties in Norwich games this year - and as we have only played 28 games that is quite alot! If this keeps up we are guaranteed to see another 8 or 9 more before the season is out. Just keep your fingers crossed that some whistle happy ref doesn''t cost us in a big game.

Does anybody know how many Ipswich have managed to fall over for. I bet they are nearly pushing double figures.

I know this is slightly different from your question Nobby but on the broadcast of last week''s match someone posed the question as to the last time Robert Green had saved a penalty. It seemed nobody could quite remember ( at least I didn''t catch the answer ). Does anyone know his performance in that regard in first team matches with the Canaries and how he stacks up versus other goaltenders? If it''s true any thoughts on how he might improve in that area.

Greeno is by far the best goalie on the planet, although I can''t remember seeing him save a penalty. Of the seven we have conceeded this season 6 have been scored and one hit the post.

I don''t think is really an issue - saving penalties is more about luck and bad penalty takers. It might just be that he has faced all the worlds best in that field - Neil Cox at Watford, Ian Taylor at Derby etc,etc,etc.!!!!!!!

Remember Paul Cooper at Ipswich - the only reason he saved all those penalties was because he was so fat. (For any Everton fans reading I said FAT).

Did you know that the majority of penalties are mostly put away to the left side of the goalkeeper? I guarantee that out of all the penalties we see, 8/10 go to the left (Looking at the goal head-on). I notice Robert Green seems to keep going to the right (or his left). I think Duncan Ferguson twice did this to him on Saturday. Can someone tell Robert?

I''m sure this came up in the Pink Un a few weeks back and, at the time, if you included the Play-off Final shoot out, Greeno had faced 19 penalties and not saved a single one.

Before anyone asks, the penalty at Portaloo Road last season actually hit the post, Greeno saved the rebound, before Counago scored on the second rebound.

Anyway, after last Saturday, that''s now 0 out of 21 !!!!!

Now, where''s my anorak gone ???

Seaman is renowned for saving penalties but I know which keeper I''d rather have between the sticks for Norwich, and it''s not the OAP with the dodgy ''tache and the pony-tail.

Greeno''s luck will change one of these days and he''ll guess the right way...

Yep, I rather have Green as our goalie than Mr Pringle anyday and most premier league keepers come to think of it!

You didn''t happen to attend Blyth-Jex did you Mr Raven?

Afraid so, although I try to keep that dark period of my past under wraps. Well, who wants to be associated with Blyth Jex?

And may I ask who you are? (Our system won''t reveal to us the identity of posters to this board).

You should move away from Norwich, then the shame of attending Blyth just disappears!
I thought it was you its Sean Groom.
I moved to Southampton a couple of months before city came to play here, it was great to see Southampton full of yellow and green, brought a tear to my eye!

Ipswich have had 12 pens this season i remember someone on sky sports saying,so yer double figures and a bit! its counago,the cheat! Most of them have been dives!

I don''t know if this is of any use. I used to play in goal and always expected that a Right footer would hit the ball to the keepers right and a left footer to the keepers left. This worked well for me (upto lower senior level) the secret is not to go to early and show your intentions, which is difficult as you want to cover the largest amout of the goal as possible.

Let''s hope Greeno is waiting for a vital time to make his first first class penalty save - I wouldn''t put it past him (unlike most of the previous penalty takers - sorry Robert just joking)

greenie has been unlucky on several occasioans though, how many times has he guessed correctly? probably bout 50%

Canary Boy, when i played in goal for my local team, i was told by my trainer that right-handed keepers do not like diving to the left because the heart is slightly too the left and they without understanding would prefer a dive to the right. It is therefore natural to go for a dive to the right side (to protect the heart). I advise my lad to stand more on the left leaving the right-side of goal (his prefered side) with a wider gap. This is too attractive for the penalty taker and my lad makes the save (well most times)! Its probably rubbish?

it can also depend on their prefered kicking foot and their diving technique, as right footed players tend to have stronger right legs (and vice versa) goal keepers tend to prefer diving to the side where the strongest foot gives them the best push off to reach the ball. for some goalkeepers that is the left and for some it is the right.