Sign in to follow this  
ronbol ronbol

Message Board Rumours

Much has been written about message board rumours both in the local press and now even in the national press.

I have never given a second to such rumours. Like everybody else I have heard over the past six months my fair share of them. They all contradict each other and why these players even bother to read let alone bite on these rumours is beyond me.

This does not excuse the fact that they should NOT be written in the first place. Luckily the pinkun message forum is very well moderated so these rumours don''t even make it on here. long may that continue.....

I''ll let leon finish off this message

“So I''m squashing them all right now. And if I find out who it is that is spreading them I''ll knock them out!,”

Good on ya leon..

Personally I think the club are giving far too many column inches and air time to this issue.  No, it''s not very nice but we are talking about a very,very small minority of people who are spreading these rumours.

As I mentioned in another thread, one can''t help feeling that City are avoiding the real issues at this football club and acting "hurt" at the expense of a few ill-educated and bored people.  Where is the talk of addressing the lack of depth in the midfield?  Where is the talk of getting the 11 players we put on the pitch work as a team again?

Oh dear, no doubt Mr Doncaster & Co are not going to like this, especially in their current "fragile" state.  However, I feel that this whole issue is being blown out of proportion by the club to be used a "shield" to avoid addressing the REAL issues and problems of this football club.

P.s If Mr Doncaster, or anyone else at the club feels that I hiding behind my keyboard they are more than welcome to contact me via this website and arrange a personal meeting.  For which I might add I am willing to travel the 200 miles to attend.

Saint, I do agree with you.  I can understand Nigel, to some extent having a rant at the AGM, he was understandably angry, and nervous about the event and chose to hit out about something which was not under his control, and diverted the attention from poor coaching, etc etc.  Even if it was in response to a question asked there, it has become practically the only topic which we are all hearing about days after the event.  As you say Saint, whatever is happening re our midfield, relegation worries have faded to the background.

But Doncaster and the vast spin machine, well what do you expect?  I am getting more angry about the club''s perception of people who use the internet message boards than the standard of football which they seem to think we should be grateful (and non-critical) to receive.  This is of course as you say, a diversionary tactic and for one, I have decided that I will write them a letter, they know all our real names, our if needs be can find out, and discuss this face to face with them.

I am feeling a bit reactionary (like First Wiz) at the moment and feel I have to meet someone with a bit of power and clout at the club to prove that I am a fan who, despite using this, and other, messageboards, am still a decent honest person.  Those who spread the rumours are, as Leon says, in need of some excitement in their own lives and the vast majority of city fans would never stoop so low to broadcasting such stuff about a player''s private affairs.

I am quite happy to post under my real name, but that is very boring and I quite like using the one I do as it has sentimental reasons. 

[quote]Personally I think the club are giving far too many column inches and air time to this issue. No, it''s not very nice but we are talking about a very,very small minority of people who are spreading th...[/quote]

No I dont believe they are, a quick visit to the WOTB message board last week showed it was getting out of hand, not just rumour monging on display but downright bigotry added in for good measure (hiding this behind freedom of speech by the way is an abhorrance), Im actually suprised the club havent taken the matter even further. And quite frankly if I was Ashton or Shackell I''d have my lawyers on the case..

we shouldn''t underestimate the increased power that the internet lends to rumour-mongering. Everything seems to spread much faster these days. I work in a pub (go figure!) and I used to get people telling me one rumour over a 3 week period (ie the same one) - now it''s all compressed into about 48 hours, by which time it''s common knowledge, even coming from fans of other clubs!

If my Dad (65, doesn''t visit message boards, doesn''t come down the pub - traitor) hears rumours before I do, which happened with one of the less savoury attacks a couple of weeks ago, it makes me very wary. The increased speed seems to lend a shadowy authenticity to the rumour - if EVERYONE has heard it, then it MUST be true!

I don''t think the club are over-reacting, nor do I think they''re having a pop at all anonymous posters. Maybe I''m very thick-skinned, but I haven''t taken any of these recent comments personally. It seems clear to me that they are only attacking the midget-minded ****-stirrers on certain unmoderated sites and I fully support them for doing so. This is a very unpleasant pastime and we can only do our bit by refusing to spread their malicious lies for them.

I find it all too convenient that the club go on attack about this at the lowest point we have been in for five years.  How lucky on their part that recent (or in some cases, that have been around for nearly a year now) rumours about players have changed the topic from other issues.  As I said these rumours are not nice but who actually takes any stock in what a bunch of teenagers on half term say on WOTB. 

good for leon hope he is back soon remember last year always 100 percent effort anyone know how long before he is back

[quote]I find it all too convenient that the club go on attack about this at the lowest point we have been in for five years. How lucky on their part that recent (or in some cases, that have been around for...[/quote]

just because you dont take any stock of it doesnt mean the blatent homophobia (not nice is a tiny understatement) on there is acceptable and should be allowed to be aired, would you just shrug it off so easily if it was racism that was being voiced...

I don''t care much for rumours......I find it laughable, that the whole situation has got out of hand, and that the club is supposedly livid that rumours affecting the team/individual performances. What a load of TOSH! It really gets my goat - and I''m pretty certain this club are using it like a political party would, in deflecting the flak away from the true reasons why we are in the position that we are. I take it with a pinch of salt and ignore the counter rumours that the club fire out. Get real and smell the coffee. Signed: Don''t believe the HYPE!

ON THE FALL CITY! and don''t quote me- but Gordon Ramsey and Delia....... ;~)

[quote]just because you dont take any stock of it doesnt mean the blatent homophobia (not nice is a tiny understatement) on there is acceptable and should be allowed to be aired, would you just shrug it off ...[/quote]

Some, if not all of the rumours are unacceptable but I heard all those rumours by word of mouth before they got anywhere near a message board.  Why are the board not concerned about the people in the grounds starting these rumours in the first place?  Quite simply these rumours would and did do the rounds without internet message boards. 

All message boards do is increase the speed at which the rumours are spread but is a rumour made more malicious because 4 people hear as opposed to 2?

Did you make your feelings on this subject plain on WOTB?  Did you berate the small minded bigots who spread these rumours?  I hope so but all your post is doing at the moment is reminding me why I do not visit that website.  I have not visited that site for over a year now,  I have not seen the rumour of which you refer to on any other site that I do visit so it''s interesting that I know exactly what you are talking about.  Funny that isn''t it really?  It''s probably to do with the fact that I it heard from some troglodyte in Lloyds 30 minutes after the Coventry game.  How many months ago was that?

My suggestion is that if the players and club are as upset as they say they are the club should threaten to take action against the owners of any website that allows people to post such rubbish.  The laws to do with internet libel have come a long way in the last few years.  Quite simply ONE statement rubbishing these rumours, attacking those who post them and threatening legal action would have been highly effective. 

I still feel the club are acting more hurt than they really are and using this to their advantage.

Latest rumour coming from Colney is that a small, tattered leather spherical object was found in the far corner of the training ground.  The coaching staff were unable to identify the object so were about to post it on for analysis when Deano recalled seeing a similar football on Crewes training ground and that it was useful in preparing for match days... 

OTBC

[quote]Latest rumour coming from Colney is that a small, tattered leather spherical object was found in the far corner of the training ground. The coaching staff were unable to identify the object so were a...[/quote]

It''s only a rumour if it is untrue!

[quote]Latest rumour coming from Colney is that a small, tattered leather spherical object was found in the far corner of the training ground. The coaching staff were unable to identify the object so were a...[/quote]

Well that got Monday morning off to a good start