Sign in to follow this  
irishcanary

reaction to being beat

I would like to know if fans are suffering the same symptoms as me. Having been a fan since childhood (over 30 years) and a season ticket holder for nearly 15 years. Of late City being beat has little effect on me. Yet up to this season, City being beat spoilt my weekend. This means one of two things i am either a glory hunting fan who bails at the first sight of a struggle or things have got so bad at City i am beginning not to care.

i have got the same numb feeling a few times this season. Was gutted on saturday though as i thought we had a chance. Wont be listening to the next match, its not that i am a glory hunter or anything, i just cant bare listening to them lose again and knowing that the club arent going to do anything about it

Agreed, but for me I think it has something more to do with our unexpected success of two seasons ago. In the darkest days of the last ten seasons where hopes were shattered on a daily basis and managers changed at least once a year, I would tend to invest much more of my soul in the success and failure of the team on the pitch... hoping that maybe, finally we might scrape through the play-offs. However, beyond all of our wildest expectations, they strolled to the championship and suddenly there was a complete release from stress of it all which seemingly has yet to wear off.

I suppose it''s a bit like Nick Hornby''s central character in Fever Pitch where once Arsenal finally win the title after 18 years in the wilderness he feels once-and-for-all liberated from the painful highs and lows of the game.

There would have been a time when I took defeats badly, however, this season I have accepted the inevitable that we are more likely to lose than win, especially whilst we have Worthy in charge.

I think the main reason is that I know we haven''t played particularly well in the majority of games, and therefore it has not come as a shock when we have lost to the likes of Stoke, Sheff wed, Luton, QPR, Watford.  All these teams on paper probably have weaker squads than ours, however, they do all have managers who can get the best out of their players, and they know how to cancel out our strenghs and exploit our weaknesses.

The players and supporters need a new manager to put a bit of passion back into the club. 

I think the first time people really got angry about the way the season was going was after the Reading result. There was a huge amount of criticism for the manager, players etc. Recently though that seems to have dies away and people seem to be more accepting of the situation. It''s getting so depressing listening the away games or coming away from Carrow Road after seeing another inept display from our lads. I just find it hard to get myself up for a rant when I know the club won''t take any notice of what we say. I think we need to still show the dissapointment about the situation rather than sitting back a accepting it which seems to be happening.