Sign in to follow this  
Making Plans

Where has it all gone so horribly wrong ?

After today''s game it is patently obvious that we are in big big trouble.

Another defeat, another poor performance and now the Manager is slagging off the players.

What''s even worse is that we have a Board that either doesn''t appear to have the slightest idea that anything is wrong, and they carry on backing Worthington as though everything is rosy or, they say absolutely nothing.

This is a situation that cannot be allowed to continue any longer without some urgent, drastic and long overdue action being taken before it is too late and we''re in League One.

I honestly believe the situation is so serious that we are looking at the start of the destruction of the Club - if we go down at the end of the season, it will take years to repair the damage. Never mind the Premiership, promotion back to the Championship will be difficult enough.

Whatever happened to those heady days when we won promotion in in May 2004 - yes it was only 18 months ago. Only 6 months ago we were only one game, 3 measly points, away from survival in the Premiership.

Now look at us, fighting it out with the dregs of the Championship to avoid another relegation.

I''m sorry, but all those people who keep believing that the play offs are still a realistic target, cannot be looking at the facts. It''s ok having faith but surely even the most ardent supporter must now realise that we have a serious problem and that the play offs are not going to happen for us this year. The situation with the current set up cannot, and will not, be turned around. It''s now gone much too far.

The Club is in complete disarray and I cannot for the life of me understand why those who implore us to "keep the faith" cannot see this.

Over the last 6 months not only have we have had to tolerate the humiliation of relegation, but we''ve also had to stomach some catastrophic activity in the transfer market (both in and out), the absence of anything like potential form from our best players, an appalling team selection policy, some truly awful and mind boggling substitutions, a total lack of commitment, the inability to defend against some of the worst sides in the league, a complete drought of creative play and attempts on goal, worse tactics than a Sunday pub side and to cap it all, some pitiful pre match predictions, followed by equally pitiful and laughable post match comments.

There''s only so much we can take and we can''t take anymore - somebody please do something !!

Well said!

I really think it''s time that the fans united in a concerted effort to have Worthington removed. We seem to be rather meekly accepting of our fate at the moment. An example of this was yesterday when I found myself actually feeling relieved that we had only lost 2-0 and not by 3,4 or 5 goals. How sad is that? I genuinly don''t expect us to win any match at the moment. I don''t think the present situation would be tolerated at any other club. It''s totally unacceptable and the more that the board back Worthington, the more they are being dragged down with him.

Great post Making Plans, agreed it is a dire situation and I for one, will be asking the board to do something to reassure us that they are fully aware of the consequences of doing nothing, which in effect is what they are doing.

As they said at the AGM, hoping for Nigel to turn things round isn''t enough.  Sure we all hope he will, but for how long do we just hope?  First it was 10 games, then someone or other at home, then Xmas.  What we all need is a bit of decisive action, and fast.

This is a great club and we have a lot to be grateful for. However, being nice and giving votes of confidence will mean nothing if we don''t actually win a few games and win them with conviction. 

We are in a totally dire position tonight.  We are facing another relegation that some think is not going to happen.  Why are we too good to go down again?  We struggle to beat teams who just last season were two leagues below us.  We struggle to play any meaningful game plans, any credible tactics, no wonder the players have given up.

But we are the fans and we can''t give up.  I am not going to give up.  No I am not merely going to hope for better and hope that Nigel can turn it around.  I am, for my pains going to write to Mr Munby and ask for a personal meeting.  I have thought about this all week and have decided to at least get a letter of reply out of him. If he agrees I will, at least get it off my chest and hopefully (arrggghhh) it might sink in.  On the other hand I might just get ignored.  I am but one small fan, but I just cannot sit here and do nothing. 

After Chase left I thought it would all be great again - and for a few years it has been, but we now have a crisis on our hands, not just on the pitch, but off it too, if the board don''t get their collective heads out of the sand we could lose this club. 

How many of us can really do nothing?  Will let you all know what happens.

[quote]Great post Making Plans, agreed it is a dire situation and I for one, will be asking the board to do something to reassure us that they are fully aware of the consequences of doing nothing, which in e...[/quote]

If it helps Gazza, tell Mr Mumby that I have read all your posts over the past few months and apart from some irrelevant points of detail, I agree wholeheartedly with you.

So, go tell him you speak for me too!!!

United in our love for City

I know that all good organisations will close ranks to protect the good employees whilst trying to sort out whatever problems exist and I don''t blame City for putting up a united front. HOWEVER, I do object to constantly being treated as stupid ( in the same way Tony Blair treats us). Most fans are disappointed/angry/frustrated with TRANSFERS, TEAM SELECTION, TACTICS & SUBSTITUTIONS. We CAN see where the problems have been, and still are, and the board should critically reflect on the last three years of NW''s tenure at the club. I believe the following is true;

1. City were promoted because Worthy built a hard working and committed team - and Huckerby ran most teams ragged. We did not play fluid passing football most of the time - we were resolute and determined.

2. Worthy has always had some difficulties with some aspects of man-management and I think he struggled in dealing with international players (Helveg, Jonsson, Safri). Helveg & Safri were not picked for about 75% of the premiership season - even allowing for injuries that''s an awful lot of games when Norwich City took the pitch with players like those just mentioned on the subs bench and Holt, Fleming & The old bloke from Charlton (forgotten his name!) playing ahead of them.

3. Worthy''s team selections, tactics etc this season have followed no pattern and appear to be decisions made by a manager who genuinely does not know what to do when his team forget the work-ethic. Yes the players much take a lot of the blame but Worthy''s man-management has been dreadful; McVeigh comes on as sub and changes the game - dropped for the next match, Colin builds up confidence over a run of 6 or 7 games and after one poor performance is dropped, Henderson comes on and looks lively, committed and dangerous - he is dropped for the next game. 4-4-2, 4-5-1, 4-3-3, diamond midfield etc etc all in the space of a dozen or so games. Marney, Charlton, Brennan, Huckerby, Fleming, Henderson, Thorne all played out of position on a fairly regular basis.

4. Worthy has done some amazing things for the club and there is no doubt that players have responded to his vision (Huckerby, Ashton etc) but perhaps the reality is somewhat different from the vision and that is what has finally got to the players. If Nigel truly believes that City have played good passing football and dominated games for most of this season then he and the knowledgeable fans (and I count myself as one of these) are poles apart. Dean Ashton, having been brought up with Dario Gradi, must be wondering why he came to be so misled.

I would encourage everyone to write to Mumby I did and got a call back from the club unfortunately I was out on both occassions so haven''t as yet spoken to anyone.

The more letters the club receive will show that supporters have taken the time to write and have a genuine concern and are not prepared to accept the rubbish that is coming out of FCR both on and off the pitch.

Getting back to the Wolves game I feel that NW speech reiterates what many of us saw at the Fulham game but its taken him six months to realise and there lies many of the problems.

If the board can''t sack him move him upstairs (quickly) dispose of Livermore and the ever grinning Foley and bring in new faces.

[quote]Great post Making Plans, agreed it is a dire situation and I for one, will be asking the board to do something to reassure us that they are fully aware of the consequences of doing nothing, which in e...[/quote]

I don''t hold out much hope, but good luck with your letter to Munby, I completely agree with you.

I don''t see how the board can expect to keep palming us off with their "Hope it will all be ok in the end" strategy. And to keep going on about the "Charlton model" is frankly, an insult to our inteligence. People say we can''t afford to pay Worthington off, but what would another relegation do to our finances?