Feeling sorry for Worthy

I will hold my hands up i am one of the Worthy
out brigade but after listening to his interview
on radio Norfolk i do feel a certain amount of
sympathy for him, he is a decent honest man but
at the end of the day if the players will not perform
for him what can he do? He has done a good job but it
is patently obvious some if not all of the players do
not back him in particular Darren Huckerby who i do not understand how he has the nerve to pick up his salary at the moment, i for one say good luck Nigel
you have been let down badly by a group of players
whose ego''s far outweigh their ability on the pitch.
O.T.B.C

I can see where you are coming from but this is the core of the squad that came down last season having beaten Manure in style.

These are Nigels own hand picked men, full of the virtues he wanted.  He has picked a squad that is too short of ability in midfield, where games are won and lost;  it was the same last year and he simply has not learnt his lesson from the end of last year that only when sheer effort is matched with quality do you get successful football sides.

His arrogant stances to fans this season is as unacceptable as his refusal to admit any errors on his part for squad building or tactics.  I beleive it is no coincidence that his feeling of invincibility has been magnified since he signed his new contract, which was a reward for last seasons failure.

OTBC

I do tend to agree with you also Poringland - I have been an advacate of the Worthy out brigade since the middle of last season when it was painfully obvious he''d taken us as far as he could. However he has been let down big time, particularly by Hux this season - I do feel after the inevitable departure of Nigel, Hux will soon fall by the wayside as has always been the case with previous managers. In this current predicament he is a talent we can surely ill afford.

Nice to hear some human feelings among the howling for blood. It''s a tough, tough business, dealing with rich young men who don''t need to work very hard to collect their massive paycheques. How do you motivate them, keep them focussed on football, give them a feeling of duty to the Club? Even Alex Ferguson struggles. I feel very very sorry for NW because so many people are trying to strip him of any respect, as a man as well as a professional manager. Just put yourselves in his place. Whether you think he''s up to the job of taking the Club forward from here or not, he''s been a real factor in a good period for Norwich City. It''s similar to the way some fans treated Gary Holt, which for sure led to him leaving the Club after having given great service. We''re a football Club, not a fanatical religious sect.

But why are they not playing for him , if you believe all the club spin and  the message coming from the agm meeting we have a squad thats 100% behind the manager everybody is in this together, there are no problems blah blah blah . Then you have Worthington yesterday saying the players are spineless and not playing for the shirt , may as well not have turned up etc, etc  which hardly backs up everything we have heard  before. The only conclusion is this club is in one hell of a mess.

[quote]I will hold my hands up i am one of the Worthy out brigade but after listening to his interview on radio Norfolk i do feel a certain amount of sympathy for him, he is a decent honest man but at the en...[/quote]

Why pick on Hucks , to the exclusion  of MOST of the other players , who ALSO should be ashamed  of drawing their wages ???     thus far its only Hucks  who has put in 100 %  to the club !  the downturn in his form  reflects  the malaise  the entire team is stricken with !!   can YOU pin down  what the problem is , without rounding on  a player who got us INTO the prem ? 

There has to be an element of feeling sorry for someone who finds themself unable to carry out the job that they are employed to do.  Particularly when some things they try are frustrated by others around them. It happens a lot in business and life.

However with Worthington he has accepted a very high profile job with considerable financial reward, as such he has accepted that the stakes are higher.  He is financially secure for the rest of his life, and will probably already be able to ensure the financial security of his children as well.

I for one can not feel as sorry for him as for some poorly paid office clerk or factory worker who is made redundant through no fault of their own.

Equally how many of us would feel so bad at causing so many problems at work that we go and get another job BEFORE anyone tells us to go.

Quote "We''re a football Club, not a fanatical religious sect."

With all due respect, you wouldn''t think we are a football club when some of the spin-doctors get on their soap boxes.

What does surprise me is that, those with the loadest voices think that they are in the majority but there never seems to be a majority in evidence outside the ground during ''so-called'' protests after matches, before the AGM etc.

.. so is this ''sect'' as big as it thinks it is?

[quote]I can see where you are coming from but this is the core of the squad that came down last season having beaten Manure in style. These are Nigels own hand picked men, full of the virtues he wanted. H...[/quote]

I think people generally, and the club especially have badly underestimated how influential Damien Francis actually was last season.  Also Helveg did bring quality passing and experience, Bentley brought a bit of flair, and Jonson was poorly treated by the fans, and wouldnt we love to see him giving some guts on the right of midfield right now? 

Also, why did we get rid of Svenson, yes he was a ''dying swan'' on the pitch but bedded in and probably cheaper than Thorne!  I like Colin, he has pace, skill and experience, but surely keeping Eddie was the sensible option (he wanted to stay!!) rather than bring in Louis Jean, who United must have been laughing at us taking on, and look at how they are doing now.....

Reading got rid of Andy Hughes, yet he is now our captain.   He is no better than Gary Holt was!  The fact that Reading got rid of him says it all really, and look how they are doing now!.  And jarrett, well the fact that Wigan were happy to offload him surely should have told the club something, and look how they are doing now!

We have basically taken on other clubs cast offs, and all those clubs were managed well enough to see their weaknesses, let them go and move on.  We have let go of players who would have done a job for us due to the total lack of vision of our Management team, and bought in flawed polayers that other comparable sized clubs let go. 

Please, please, please can we have a PROPER manager for Christmas Delia.

[quote]But why are they not playing for him , if you believe all the club spin and the message coming from the agm meeting we have a squad thats 100% behind the manager everybody is in this together, there ...[/quote]

My understanding from the Dressing Room (before saturdays inept effort) is that the players are all totally and utterly fed up with the "situation", completely de-motivated and the bottom line is that respect for the manager (and therefore the will to respond to his urgings) has gone.

I do agree with Worthy that in spite of this they should show respect for the mugs who pay their wages (at least that''s how it feels at the moment, speaking as someone who spends a full week a year behind the wheel of a car travelling to/from Norwich games).

However it is now painfully clear that change is necessary for all parties to move on: the divide between Worthy and his players is in the public domain big-time now, and at that point you have to "fish or cut bait" as an old boss of mine used to say.

Let''s hope that the next fortnight provides the breathing space between fixtures to allow the necessary talking and action to occur.

I do partly agree.  At the core Nigel is an honest man.  But he''s not doing his job effectively.  Football is a cruel world and he knew this when he went into the game.  If he were a player and had performed the way he has in the last 2 years, he''d be playing for Stevenage reserves!  He''s paid enough to take the brunt when things go badly

[quote]I think people generally, and the club especially have badly underestimated how influential Damien Francis actually was last season. Also Helveg did bring quality passing and experience, Bentley brou...[/quote]

I feel sorry for Norwich City FC and its supporters, but not Worthy, he has to go now!.

If I was on a contract with targets to deliver and failed, my contract would come to an end WITHOUT ANY COMPENSATION AT ALL.

FEEL SORRY? NO!