Sign in to follow this  
charlies dad

Norwich City Reserves.

As per usual, attended the second string match last night. Both sides fielded strong-ish line-ups, which usualy makes for a better game. In a first half of few chances, our experienced back four appeared to be quite comfortable, although we produced very little going forward, we had the lions share of possession. It was therefore, a bit of a disappointment to concede a goal, with virtually the last kick of the first half. A very poor referee possibly missed a foul in the build up to the goal, 1-0 half time. Palace virtually killed the contest with a goal soon after half time, another close range finish giving Ward no chance. Fleming gave us something to cheer with a thumping header from a corner but a mistake by Halliday soon after let in the Palace winger... 3-1. A grandstand last ten minutes saw chances and good saves at both ends, Jarvis, Thorne and the impresive if diminutive Smart nearly scoring a beauty and bringing a blinding save out of Speroni. On the performance front, the usually impressive Eagle and Cave-Brown were a bit off form, and Thorne is feeling his way gently, Al Ouargui was quiet, and caused concern when he fell clutching his neck after a foul, missed of course by the hapless ref. On the plus side, Jarvis junior is improving game on game, and Spillane was absolutely magnificent in central midfield producing a string of bone crunching tackles and stron runs, and excellent headed clearances, 16 years old and he makes Jarrett look like a pussycat.

Excellent report again CD,

Very promising comments re Jarvis and Spillane, will they ever make the first team I wonder ? Will they be even noticed at all by senior management.

Concerning that point, and as a matter of interest, do you ever notice any of the management and coaching staff at the reserve games, other than the Reserve Team staff that is.

I seem to remember the occasions when we used to go to reserve matches that we could sit anywhere we wanted in the stand, and often Ron Saunders(yes that long ago) and first team players used to come and sit along side us and have chats about the action on the field.

Hi charlie''s dad

Yes, went and watched like you and was disappointed we didn''t make more of our early pressure.  The game was not as good to watch as the previous one v Leicester - not so much passing football, I guess as we had a few first teamers in who were coming back from injury etc so disrupting a settled academy side.  Thorne didn''t do anything to suggest he can walk into the first team, most impressed with Spillane as you pointed out and although I rate Eagle and Cave-Brown, as you also pointed out, they both had quiet games.  Thought that Bally Smart looked very fast and up for it when he came on, a new name to me.

Palace were okay, and had a lot of first teamers present - a good game to watch and a lot better than the stuff dished up by the first team at present.  Poor crowd though of only 600, considering it''s free to season ticket holders.  Bet the next one against Arsenal has a bigger gate!

[quote]Excellent report again CD, Very promising comments re Jarvis and Spillane, will they ever make the first team I wonder ? Will they be even noticed at all by senior management. Concerning that point,...[/quote]

Jim. There was quite a few people sitting in the Directors box last night, but from our position in the Jarrold stand, we couldn''t make out who they were. I''ll be able to give a much fuller report on this matter after the Arsenal reserve game on 21st November, as I''ve been invited to the FONCY AGM in the Ambassadors Lounge and invited to watch the game afterwards from the Directors box.

Charlies Dad. Good report again and not really much I can add. Especially about Bally Smart (bloody quick though!).

Thanks folks. Appreciate the kind comments. Spillane and Jarvis are coming along nicely under the tutelage of Williams, while Jarvis has already made an improvement to the level of first team performance, (hardly difficult), i hesitate to throw him into the fray, because the current situation, none of his making might impact negatively upon him. Spillane, while physically and technically superior to Jarrett is, remember, only 16 years of age. I think its too soon for him, but a Safri/Jarvis axis in the middle might work. It would certainly outshine the current nonentities inhabiting those position.

I also went to the game and enjoyed the football City were trying to play for most of the furst half and the last 15 mins or so. City & Palace had one chance each in the first half - City failed and Palace scored (does this sound familiar to any first-teamers?). Spillane & Rossi & Cave-Brown are all good prospects but are not ready physically for a season of Champioship football - next season or the one after should be their aim. Thought Eagle looked very lightweight (although immaculately turned out and certainly impressed the row of giggling teenage girls in front of me) and ElOurargi needs to show a little more urgency. Worryingly Fleming didn''y look the dominant force one would expect playing at this lower level.