Sign in to follow this  
Tumbleweed

Is the Board Stupid, Complacent, Cowardly or Loyal?

So the AGM and the much forecast protests and representations about the state of things at the moment seems to have been a damp squib. All sorts of messages of support from all and sundry, defiant noises from Nigel and public backing from the players (how many more will apologise for the performances?).

Where does all that leave us? I don''t know what to make of it really, I used to have faith in our Board but now they just seem like a bunch of yes people making excuses for avoiding difficult decisions. So here are the four alternatives:

1. The Board is stupid. They are out of touch with supporters views, they don''t realise when a pass goes astray or a midget striker scores unmarked in the 6 yard box that there are serious structural issues with the team. They don''t understand that the current high level of support isn''t guaranteed in perpetuity, that slowly but surely fans will find better things to do on Saturdays and Tuesdays. They believe whatever their own appointees tell them, nothing is their fault and only a bit more money will make things right.

2. They are complacent. They feel that sooner or later things will turn around, that they will wake up one morning to find the sun shining, the air crisp, the leaves crinkling underfoot and the team playing beautiful football and dominating opponnents in a majestic surge up the table. They blame injuries, hit posts, poor referreeing, spout many "...if onlys...", lament our poor shooting which should have seen us 2-0 up before losing 3-0. They believe will will turn up in our thousands in blind worship of the temple of Norwich City because there is nowhere else to go and its in our blood. Nigel will turn it around, he''s a good bloke and has nice carpets in his house, so it must be OK.

3. They are a bunch of Cowards. They know its all gone pear shaped. They hate sitting there in that special area, on display to every body having to smile through gritted teeth and shake the hands of the opposing ignorant fat boy Chairman who sees his team come and win at our place. They think that the football being provided is a pile of poo, they wonder why they made money available, how they could have got it so wrong. But like rabbits they are caught in a state of inertia. They can''t change things, they know that to do so would mean some difficult conversations with people they liked and lauded not so long ago. It would mean admitting: they were wrong, and that would be worse than anything else.

4. They are loyal and stick by their own. While they realise that things are not going well they give their own management team time to sort things out. OK, so it has served up a cold dish of mediocrity for nearly 18 months, but lets not panic just yet. There''s lots of time left, one team always puts in a good run and you don''t get rid of a management team that delivered you into the public eye for 12 glorious months. That alone deserves time, time and more time. Even the prospect of relegation is not troublesome, your management team got us into the Prem, there is no reason they can''t do it again. They must be defended from this public trial, this unfair witch hunt, this booing and chanting. After all, they don''t know- they sit squashed together in their little plastic seats eating poor food and read tabloid newspapers. Most probably don''t even have degrees so how can they be qualified to sit in judgement?

So which is it folks? My own view is that they show signs of all of 2, 3 and 4 with a leaning towards more of 2 than 3 or 4. I doubt they are stupid, but some of the recent pronouncements do make me wonder...............

TW.

[quote]So the AGM and the much forecast protests and representations about the state of things at the moment seems to have been a damp squib. All sorts of messages of support from all and sundry, defiant noi...[/quote]

Great post.

Stupid and cowardly for me Tumbleweed, but I guess you knew I''d go for those options.

Brilliant post Tumbleweed - one of the best I''ve read in ages in terms of wit, humour and a lot of truth!

The Board are burying their collective heads in the sand and are accepting mediocrity (provided Worthy is at the helm). I am damn sure that in their own individual bussineses they would be trying creative and imaginative ways of rebuilding things. If Delia Smiths booksales collapsed over an 18 month period and her sales ratio was down to ''20%'' (which is our league record since August 2004), would she still be saying things like ...''it will all work out ok, we have to be patient'' NO OF COURSE NOT! So why the heck is she doing just that in her Norwich City Football Club business?

The overriding message coming out of the AGM was.....''we hope that things will turn round''. Smith said it, Foley said it, Worthy said it (of course), God help us Captain Mainwaring Sir!!!

Tumbleweed, an excellent analysis if I may say so.  IMO it is more 4 than the others three, but elements of all four are in there!

BTW I don''t eat the poor food but import it from other outlets!  Such disloyalty eh?  I also don''t read tabloids unless you class the two locals as such.  I somehow think (although I don''t have much faith in them to make a hard decision anymore) that there is a large element of 3 there but they don''t know what or who to replace the current management team with.  Plus of course the cost of doing so, not only financially, but as you have described admitting they were wrong to stick with Nigel and co for so long.

Of course we could now win every game and play majestic passing football for the rest of the season, but I don''t think so somehow.  Blaming injuries etc and saying we could have won the game is getting mighty repetitive and yes, on Tuesday we had a lot of chances, but so did Cardiff and only an own goal seperated the sides. 

Again, it was better, but not good enough and not promotion form or anything close to it.  I expect the likes of Sheff U will have a few lucky goals, win games when they were shocking as we did in promotion year, but we are not looking remotely like a promotion team.  We had a full side out, at home against decent, but not great opposition and we only won due to an own goal. 

The board having to make a decision soon? I guess they have Tumbleweed and that is to stick with Nigel for this season and to write this one off due to injuries and to us, the fans (even the ones with degrees!) having too high expectations of going straight back up.  They have made up their minds already and should we be relegated no doubt he will be the man to take us back up. 

What can we do, sit here and hope for the best.  I guess so. 

Gazza (not feeling so very great, just very disappointed that this board hasn''t the balls to sort it out).

I know how you feel gazza- I feel very flat at the moment and despair at how quickly all our dreams seem to have gone sour. Unlike some I don''t see a turnaround ahead and the feeling that we lurch back into mid table mediocrity in this division is really rather depressing.

BTW, 1st Wiz- your "vote" did indeed come as no surprise!!

I think the board have simply avoided making a decision - its one of those too hard to compute equations that is put to the bottom of the pile and left to hope that when it surfaces again in a couple of games time the situation becomes clearer.  

Last Monday the club DID perform a well executed PR campaign - regular releases of info at regular times during the day.   I do not, and know of no one who doubts, that Deano and Green meant what was said in their interviews, but fact there were more press releases than normal is a spin approach. 

A poor win against a lethargic and complacent Cardiff does not hide the faults within the club.  Sustaining a thinly veiled attack on the same fans that are at the clubs core is a diversionary tactic which is as much a red herring as last weeks its all down to injuries cry.  

It is common knowledge that the british public loves a gossip (Hello magazine, news of the world etc have huge circulations including among NCFC supporters and doubtlessly workers) and rumours like the ones doing the rounds have existed long before the internet existed - I recall more rumour, and more outrageous,  from the early 80s than I hear nowadays mainly due to the fact that footballers approach is far more professional now.    I do discuss it with friends and family and on the whole people can separate the outlandish from possible.  Clearly they do not know which are true (some inevitably are) but EVERY discussion is made with concern for the club at heart (its not true that x & Y happened....etc).   

What is posted on sites like this is a reflection of fans concerns, some want worthy removed, some want him kept, all are concerned about our progress this season.   I am not anonymous and I will not be brow beaten into silence by what feels like an attempt to discredit messageboards content because they express an honest opinion about a club.

The club will progress eventually, it will have another manager after Worthy, we will be back in the prem.  When is anyones guess.

Draws breath - rant over.

OTBC

Yes it is a good thread, although its focus is only on their attitude to sacking NW, and not their wider responsibilities. I''d replace Stupid with Naive and add a fifth possibility - that the board is Far-sighted. Then my judgement would be a combination of 1,2 and 4. The team isn''t in free-fall so there''s an argument for not manning the lifeboats just yet and dumping the guy who''s been manager during a period when the Club''s been transformed, but then there aren''t any signs visible to us the fans of the underlying improvement in coaching etc. that we hoped for. We now get crowds of 25000 - double those of a few years ago - and we want progress on the field that matches that. But how will that be helped by taking a gamble (and that''s what it would be) on another manager? Far better (they feel) to build on the foundations we have, so I hope that the board is also 5 (Far-sighted). We''ll see. They''d best get building.

[quote]Tumbleweed, an excellent analysis if I may say so. IMO it is more 4 than the others three, but elements of all four are in there! BTW I don''t eat the poor food but import it from other outlets! Suc...[/quote]

My sentiments too!!!

Let''s be realisitic here.   The decision has been made.  Nigel stays.  The board has invested its own credibility in supporting Nigel and will not, cannot back down from that position without serious loss of face.  It will only do so if there is absolutely no alternative.   I do not see any scenario short of relegation where the board will review Nigel''s position this season.

From a business point of view, why should they?  With some 20000 season tickets sold including many multiseason tickets, they have already presold their product.  They have our money.  Of course they have to keep an eye on future years but with our squad, fans are unlikely to lose heart in enormous numbers for some time to come.  There were thousands present during the late Chase era and during the Hamilton decline.

Again from a business point of view, the club is a monopoly supplier of league football in Norfolk and beyond.  There is no where else to go.  Income is guaranteed.

Add to that the irrational love of the club that we all share and that keeps us going to games through rain and shine, good and QPR and the board is untouchable.  They cannot lose. We''ll keep going +/- the odd Wiz or two whatever happens.

Ultimately the fans are trapped by their loyalty, the club''s income is largely secured and the board is free of all practical restraints.

We just have to hope they are right.  Can''t see it myself but I also can''t see an alternative.

Excellent post Tumbleweed. I think the additional thoughts by Old Boy are valid. Elements of all apply, of course. The emotion I feel most at the moment is disappointment. On the one hand, I respect loyalty and the Board is demonstrating that in one sense. Loyalty, however, must be demonstrated to all those involved with a football club, particularly fans who are financially supporting the club. It appears to me that Fortress Carrow Road has come to mean something else this season, and it''s got nothing to do with the game of football being played on the pitch. Even from this side of the ocean I sense there is not a love for the fans emanating out of those holding office. If it does exist, the manner in which it is coming across is falling short of the mark.

The thing I like about this thread is that it has got posts in it by a lot of the people I most respect on these boards.  I am not so convinced, though, of all of its content.  I would like to pose my own 5th scenario to Tumbleweeds original 4:

5)  Is the Board right?

I would like to ask you, dear respected posters, to just entertain the slim possibility that the Board is doing a really good job at the moment.  They are all pulling their part - even Wynn-Jones who came out with a statment the other day.

Now, a lot of what the Board is telling us at the moment is to do with the rumours that apparently have affected the morale in the dressing room.  Why would they get so hot under the collar about a handful of rumour-mongerers on WOTB and elsewhere?  After all, we all know that all message boards for all clubs are full of slander!  But it''s a good question to ask.  The answer probably lies in the fact that the rumours are affecting the players.  There is probably truth in the thought that the team, Worthy and the Board are all harbouoring negative feelings towards us, the fans, at the moment.  Every time they come on here to lurk they read negative posts questioning their ability and intentions.  They may well be seeing us as a bunch of disloyal, ingratious and fickle idiots at this time.

Now, of course we are not really any of those things.  We all love NCFC and want the best and to be the best.  But can you see how the things we say day-in and day-out on these boards can have wider ramifications on the performance of our team?

Yankee, you mention loyalty, and question whether the Board is being loyal to us at the moment.  You suggest that they are closing ranks and shutting themselves out from what we feel.  I suggest that if there is any truth in that it is to do with the fact that none of us are willing even to acknowledge that we are all in this together, and the best way out for us, the fans, is to display a little bit of loyalty of our own.

Rant over...

You are right there yankee, recent utterances from the management, shareholders and directors have not exactly brought them closer to the "customer base". A degree of contempt is being shown which is not healthy and the first signs of a crack in the relationship. They try to swat us away much as you would an irritating fly without remembering that without us, the club would have no future.

YC - to use an Americanism, I think the board are showing the fans "tough love" i.e. being cruel to be kind.

When things are not going to plan the urge to make a change - any change - can be overwhelming, as has been reflected on this messageboard over the last few weeks.

Rightly or wrongly (and for whichever reason 1, 2, 3 or 4) the board have decided against change. Time will tell whether they are right.

I think the other thing to bear in mind is that, regardless of guaranteed revenues, long term contracts or whatever else, it is in *no-one''s* interest for the team to play badly and the club to fall into decline. Worthy and the players'' careers and their market value and future earnings are at stake, as is the personal investment of Delia and other shareholders, plus the livelihood of everyone working for the club, from Doncaster down.

Everyone has an incentive to make things work, but a different view on how to achieve this.

Even when I don''t agree with what the board does, I''m glad we have a board which has the courage to make difficult decisions (including decisions not to act) rather than one which is cowed by vociferous sections of the fanbase (who are not in posession of all the facts).

Case in point - look up the article on the BBC website about Southampton and how the board bitterly regret not re-appointing Hoddle due to fan pressure. They acted on the wishes/whims of a group of fans and got relegated. I don''t want that to happen to us.

I think all likelihood the board are simply being loyal and I think it''s hard to question that.  The question''s that need to asked are more along the lines of WHY the board are showing so much loyalty to Worthington? 

Everyone, from the board downwards (or should that be upwards), must agree that this season has not gone as anyone, even allowing for over-enthusiasm, could have predicted or expected. What concerns me most is the apparent lack of a plan to get us back on track other than the need to work harder on the training ground and hope for the best. With all due respect, that is not a plan, ignoring for the moment the inference that the work rate at Colney could be improved. We see statements in the press from Directors, we hear some of them on the radio, we listen to dear old Nigel''s post-match ramblings, we hear all the right noises at the AGM all in support of Nigel which is fine but exactly HOW are we going to recover the situation.

Where do we go from here? We won on Tuesday night- but once again it could of gone either way, and Cardiff were certainly off colour that night. For 25 minutes we played quite well - and then proceeded to play the long ball approach...... Now, back to the point of the board (excellent post btw) I think the board/coaching staff are looking for a scapegoat, and are deflecting the heat away from their responsibility and diverting it elsewhere. I don''t give a "toot" about the pathetic & infantile  rumour generating that''s been bandied about, that happens in all walks of life (feel free to call me "Baldy Fat Bloke" as long as it doesn''t affect my £5.000+ weekly earnings) Crux of the matter is! I want to know what the club (and the board in particular) are going to do - concerning our current (and soon to be precarious situation) we find ourselves in? We have got some seriously difficult away games ahead, and, I personally think we will be bottom 3 material at the end of them!

Our squad is as thin as the hairs on my scalp, and logistically we have no more tins to put on our sparse shelf! Since I''ve supported this club, I have been under the impression that we have tended to be a "thrifty" club, shopping at QD rather than M&S. I wasn''t surprised with the outcome of the AGM either, fairly predictable with the: "Crisis what Crisis?" attitude, and that the "manager will drive us forward" drivel. Do I think the board are Stupid? Complacent? Cowardly? or Loyal? Do they realise we are in deep plop if we don''t sort it out- and rapidly!? So therefore; to me the board are ''Loyal'' to each other, ''complacent'' to think the fans will tolerate it for the long term, ''cowardly'' for not having the guts to make the right decision, ''stupid'' in assuming that all will be well by May 2006.......Come February- and when they despatch the season ticket renewal forms with condescending letter, it may make them think long and hard when the response is not as forthcoming as they expect! But, ''muggins here'' will resist for a a few days - and then my cheque will be in the post......

Because..... I haven''t got a life! (on Saturdays or Tuesdays anyway).....DAMN FOOTBALL! and DAMN NCFC! ;~(   ''and the stoopid board? they''re just extracting the urine!    

[quote]Where do we go from here? We won on Tuesday night- but once again it could of gone either way, and Cardiff were certainly off colour that night. For 25 minutes we played quite well - and then proceede...[/quote]

What a great post , I wish I had written it.

The second half of this thread is , thankfully, more balanced than the first.
Nice to see some alternative suggestions to what was a well-written, but heavily -biased beginning.

Just because the Board haven''t made the decision which you prefer (sack Worthy), most posters on the thread have accused them of making NO decision, of prevaricating and simply hoping for the best.
The truth is, IMO, they HAVE made a decision, and a carefully considered one at that. They have chosen, after looking at all the options, that the best thing for NCFC is to hold on to the current management team.

The fact that some of the most eloquent posters are in the opposite camp doesn''t make that the wrong (or indeed least popular) decision. I, for one, agree with them and I''m optimistic for the remainder of the season - injuries allowing. I believe good players will be brought in, where possible, but that they can''t be conjured up on demand. I and the Board may be wrong, I hope we can all live with disagreeing in the present without future friendships and support being affected.

[quote]So the AGM and the much forecast protests and representations about the state of things at the moment seems to have been a damp squib. All sorts of messages of support from all and sundry, defiant noi...[/quote]

None of the above.

I think they''re right in their actions so far and possibly have a slightly more level headed perspective on things than the average fan. Every manager should be given the chance to turn things around.

I''m sure most of you will argue that its been 18 months of poor performances, ignoring what a learning curve it was for everyone at the club to be in the Prem. Yes Wigan and West Ham are doing well, but West Ham were in the prem only 2 years ago and Paul Jewell has experience of top flight management plus a hand £40m backing him up should he need to invest. Not to mention the premier league quality players they have been able to recruit that were beyond our means (both in terms of affording them and attracting them).

Its amazing to think that for the sake of one result Worthy would now be a hero.

I for one did not go into this season expecting to run away with it. I expected, based on the struggles of past relegatees from the prem, that we would struggle to get out of this league in the first season. Whilst theres still a chance of promotion I think Worthy should be given everyones backing. Once that chance has gone, then maybe its time to look at the options. That doesn''t necessarily mean sacking him btw as there are other factors that have and will contribute to our form.

Different managers but the same clueless board, until that changes sadly we will continue along the same rocky road.

[quote user="kdncfc"]Different managers but the same clueless board, until that changes sadly we will continue along the same rocky road.[/quote]Sadly true, although they have appointed crap managers too.