Sign in to follow this  
beverley sneezum

Full support for Worthy

Like many of you, I first became addicted to The Pinkun.com message boards during the will he / wont he sign for us Darren Huckerby saga late in 2003. Apart from a brief flutter ''posting'' on the site early in 2004, my involvement to date merely involves logging on to read with interest your views and comments (usually at least 3 times a day).However, the recent vitriolic attacks and hate campaign aimed towards Nigel Worthington (and Delia) has, quite frankly disgusted me.It has also changed my opinion of many of the frequent posters on this site.

I am not a season ticket holder, but nearly every other week spend around £75 for 3 tickets for me and my family to follow our team. Until very recently, I was also travelling from Bedford (4 hour round trip) to do this. Over the  recent seasons we have also followed our team at numerous away venues around the country. I was lucky enough to be at Watford on that glorious spring afternoon when we had just achieved promotion to the Premiership and along with the other 4000 - 5000 Canary supporters unashamedly declared my undying love, affection, and support for Nigel , Delia and all things  Yellow and Green.

How many of you posters were also there or at the Carrow Road celebrations the following week ? - most of you I expect. Short memories hey ? To quote Delia '' Togetherness is an ideal we are striving for but its not just about being all pals together when the going is good, its about supporting each other through the difficult times'' A recent poster also mentioned the term '' You only sing when you''re wining'' - very relevant I think

In summary,many of you posters have very much gone down in my estimation as citizens and supporters.I bet you were the ones who very quickly made friends with the kid in the playground who had brought a large packet of your favourite sweets to school , only to dump him and move on to the next one when the sweets were finished.Cheap friends indeed !.

I will be at Carrow Road on Saturday offering my full support to Delia, Nigel and the team.I will not be boycotting the game or the catering facilities, and yes, I will probably also buy a programme. Why ? Because , I am a Supporter , not just a Good Time Charlie.

Good Luck Nigel, you deserve the success and stability that you have brought to our club, and will fully deserve the success that you will bring to this club in the future. Like the silent majority at Carrow Road, you have my full support during these times. 

Welcome to the Pink''Un Bev. You should post more often.  Thoughtful, articulate posts are always welcome.  However, I can''t say I agree with it!

I too was at Watford on that beautiful sunny day.  It was a superb day all round.  The prospect of an exciting new era at Norwich City.  The prospect of showing the big boys what we were made of.  Norwich City were BACK.  Unfortunately, this dream didn''t come anywhere close to reality.  As I said on another post yesterday, we were poor last season.  In any other year we would''ve been relegated by easter.  Now, the club finds itself in a weaker position than 2 years ago.  Why is this?  Many factors of course, but one large one has to be Worthington.  Yes he got us up.  Fair play to him for that.  However, he was found wanting in the tactical department last season.  Too many times the wrong players were picked the wrong substitutions made.  We, the fans, could see this.  Why couldn''t he?  His record in the transfer market was also poor (Hucks, Deano and Saf aside).  Half way through last season we had, pretty much, the side which got us promoted.  Worthington''s acquisitions were either in the reserves or warming the bench.  Not good enough.  This season has continued the downward spiral.  Unfortunately for Worthington though we''re not playing the Chelsea''s, the Arsenal''s and the Tottenham''s.  We''re playing the QPR''s, the Stoke''s and the Luton''s.  Teams who we know we can beat.  Should beat. 

Since that fine day at Watford we have gone backwards as a football club.  In my opinion the only way to change gear is a change of personnel in the coaching department.  We can''t blame injuries for inept performances.  We can blame motivation, tactics and selections though.  And there is only one man who makes those decisions.  The blame falls at his feet

Can you hear the silent majority sing?
I can''t hear a f*****g thing?

Here we go again. The usual emotive spiel: "I travel X amount of miles, and pay X amount of cash to see the team. That makes me a much better fan that you. So my view counts most. Nah, nah, ne-nah, nah!".

People on this board are getting upset about the quality of the football which could see us relegated, again. And quite logically they indicate that the manager has overall responsibility for this. Not many are really that bothered about pies, programmes, catering.

If the point of your tirade is that Nigel Worthington has been our most successful manager since the first time we got relegated from the Premiership, and we should stick with him a bit longer. Then ok, I can see you point. But why not just say that.

[quote]Like many of you, I first became addicted to The Pinkun.com message boards during the will he / wont he sign for us Darren Huckerby saga late in 2003. Apart from a brief flutter ''posting'' on the site ...[/quote]

Hi Beverley

I don''t remember your posts during the Huckerby saga, where you posting under another name then?  Anyway, glad to see you have decided to post your opinions here now.

I can''t say I fully agree with what you to say, but as others who want Nigel to stay have already stated, don''t for one minute think that those who think it is time for him to go feel any less sad or are less of a supporter than you because it is simply not the case.  There have been many on here who can justify being a lifelong supporter, travelling many miles to a game.  Take XXL16 for example who comes over every year from Hong Kong, many others who travel from the North (my daughter included) to watch games.  Even when  sad old me, who has a ten minute walk to contemplate - all of us want our club to prosper and for the team to play well.

This is the fundamental point which then divides us.  At present I don''t think the team are playing well, nor the management team getting the best out of them.  Yes, Worthy acheived promotion for us and that was great, but Beverly, it''s not going to help us now.  We cannot continue to live on past glories and gloss over the inadequate prepartion which was made for this season, nor ignore the reasons we were relegated. 

The players may be finding it difficult to adjust, although most of them should be well used to this league, there are injuries, but not that many to key players.  Worthy simply didn''t replace key personnel, ie someone to replace Francis, he continues to play people out of position and his tactics are still negative.  We should, I am sure you will agree, have the players to win promotion, but are they achieving their potential, no, they''re not.

If I was, and others I know personally, a "good time charlie!" we would have sold our season tickets on EBay and be doing something else with our Saturdays.  In fact I guess we might even have become Chelsea fans.  I have supported the club since 1970 and seen many managers come and go.  I will still be around long after this board and Nigel are gone. So, no doubt will you.  Agreeing with the manager, board etc doesn''t mean you are a faithful supporter and I am not. It just means we can see the issues differently and find different ways to solving the problem. 

I too, was there at Watford on that fine day, sadly though, I was also there on not such a great night this year. That is the crux of the problem Beverley, we are not promotion material anymore and are sinking fast.  I don''t want to see my team go any further downhill and cannot sit there and let it happen.  I will support them fully when they play, but can''t pretend to be happy about what is happening right now.

[quote]Can you hear the silent majority sing? I can''t hear a f*****g thing? Here we go again. The usual emotive spiel: "I travel X amount of miles, and pay X amount of cash to see the team. That makes me a ...[/quote]

Well, unlike DD considered reply, this sums up the typical ''knee-jerk'' reaction that alot of members are talking about.

The original post is not ''emotive'' or a ''tirade'' and written by someone whos opinion as just as valid and counts for just as much as yours.

As it happens, I fully support the post but if I didn''t, I certainly wouldn''t post that sort of reply - it must really make Beverley feel welcome!

Hi Beverley - glad to see you back on here and with a good post.

All I would say though is that we are all supporters of the club and all worried about the current predicament - it just we all have different ideas on what is the best way to solve it.  

No one knows what the answer is and only time will tell which way we should be jumping and as such each individuals opinion has as much relevance as another.

What the team needs though is full vocal support tonite and I shall be cheering in my mind as I cant get to brum tonite.

OTBC 

Good post Beverly but I have to put myself in the same camp as Zipper.  I like to think that there are many posters on here like Zipper, Gazza, Dumbledelia etc.  They use this forum as a place to voice their concerns, then they leave those concerns here and go to the games with the sole intention of supporting their team.  Criticism of the club in anyway does not mean someone doesn''t love the club.

Hello Beverley, good to have another poster on board. But I''m sorry I don''t agree with what you say. None of us have questioned what Worthington did for us, getting us promoted was incredible. Sadly, from the start of last season, he''s just not had enough about him to make him untouchable. To claim that people who have made their opinions known either on message boards like this or at matches are not true Norwich fans, or have short memories is just wrong. I like many others have seen us underperform for well over a season now, and the main reason for this is a manager who had run out of ideas. He makes poor decisions in one match, something everyone can see. Now you''d expect him to learn from it, but the next game the same mistakes are made which stops him from being a top manager.

Also one more thing, can we just stop saying how many game we attend or how much we spend on the club. We''re all Norwich City supporters so what should it matter if you go to games or not? Not having a go at you Beverley but everyone who says these sort of things. As I said, good to see another poster on here who can argue their case articulately.

[quote]Like many of you, I first became addicted to The Pinkun.com message boards during the will he / wont he sign for us Darren Huckerby saga late in 2003. Apart from a brief flutter ''posting'' on the site ...[/quote]

I want to thank you for your emotive reply. Again I agree with those who say it is thoughtful and well written.

We as supporters know exactly how you feel. You opinion is to be respected as you are currently part of the 20% of supporters who think Worthy should be given more time.

We (the majority) as supporters think changes should be made, as for along time its evident that its just not working.

Its one thing to struggle with a bad squad but another to get beaten badly by inferior squads.

The tactics/selections are totally inept. Its that simple.

You said "vitriolic attacks and hate campaign aimed towards Nigel Worthington"

No, we have voiced our displeasure at his ability to do his job.

If thats the case your post is also of the same ilk. Of course its not. You are

giving your opinion on NW and we are giving ours. 

THANK YOU SO MUCH A TRUE SUPPORTER.

IM 110% WITH YOU ,NIGEL ,THE TEAM AND DELIA MICHAEL

useful comments on both sides....i agree to an extent that Worthy, at times, seems unable to play players in their best position and to motivate them for a full 90 minutes.

BUT..the squad does have big injury problems to KEY players...Safri, McKenzie and i dont think Deano has been 100% fit from the first day of the season..and Jarrett hasn''t been fit enough from pre-season either to prove how good he can be.

And therein i think lies one of the problems. I dont think the preparation pre-season was good enough. Players seemed to be carrying niggling injuries from day one and the results in pre-season games were poor. The last thing we needed after last season  was to continue the losing mentality but that was what we did and the manager said a couple of times that the results then were not important. Results are always important in football cos winning breeds confidence which breeds a winning mentality.

My other point is that we have never replaced Bentley who last season, with Hucks, was the one player who could create and produce something that little bit different.

And just to confuse everyone further, quite who we could target as a better manager than what we already have i am not sure. We dont want Burley, who appears to have plenty of problems of his own and neither do i want to see Steve Bruce back at this club. Mike Newell is the only one i think we could consider but why he would want to come here , i dont know

Welcome on board Beverley.  Nicely written post and I share your sentiments.

We will get through the bad spell.

Worthington''s Green and Yellow army

Hi Beverly

I agree with most of what you say, I agree we have to get behind the team and Nigel and Delia, BUT even you have to agree with have been playing some c**p football since last season. We have not looked anything like we were the year before, and I can take you back to Crystal Palace at home on the first game of the season in the prem.  Where we made 5 changes from the team that got us there in the first place,I think the same team in that game that finished the last game in div 1 would have won us that game and the rest as they say may have been history, and it went down hill from there onwards, with a slight upwards turn towards the end of the season.  He has got rid of good players this season (edworthy, francis,jonson and helveg) and replaced them with nobodies imo.  Its was no surprise that Francis walked away but who has he replaced him with ????? At this moment in time we look a second rate team with a second rate manager.  But things can change and I hope they do.  I have seen the good times and the very bad times here and like you will be giving my vocal support to both the team and the manager on saturday as I always do.  But Nigel has understand that we as fans are not idiots who sit there and clap like morons however we play, we actually know a little bit about football, and should listen to us ocassionally.  Rant over I''m going for a lie down.

I''ve been hugely disheartened lately.

Not by the Board, or the manager. The players have been a bit worrying with their headless chickens routine, but it''s not them either.

It''s you, the forum. Beverly makes her views known - some agree, some disagree - and then has to put up with some numpty posting foul language and degrading comments about her style and content. What''s that about Pyro Pete?

If you find fault with what somebody says, explain which part you felt was wrong and - more importantly - WHY you disagree. Offer an alternative suggestion, not just a textual bunch of fives!

I disagree with part of DD''s post. You can''t leave Hucks, Deano & Saf aside when commenting on Worthy''s transfer dealings. A manager is judged on all, or none. Few teams put ALL new transferees straight into the starting eleven - I think you''ve done well if you get six through to the first team within one season, without damaging the team spirit and understanding. I also think injuries are a valid excuse - when there are 6, or 7, out at once and it forces a change of shape and creates confusion.

Gazza''s post is well argued, as usual, yet claims that Francis should have been replaced. Worthy has said that he had no money to go for a new player of that calibre until AFTER Francis left. With so short a time to set up a deal, it''s not surprising that he failed. Knowing the position he was in he did what he could and tried to persuade Francis to stay - something 80% of this forum was totally against at the time.

USAcanary - sorry mate, but there have been some quite horrible posts from some of the Worthy Out supporters. I''ve avoided the forum for a week because I got fed up of the viciousness of a minority. That''s why I''ve probably rambled on too long now!

Finally (stop cheering!) Bentley''s replacement was supposed to be Marney, of whom it was said that he had similar skills, but a better workrate. Sadly he has yet to impress me on either count, but then so many of our squad are playing beneath themselves at present, maybe his time will soon come. I hope so!

ON THE BALL, CITY!

Good post, Beverley, and welcome back.

I don''t actually agree with much of what you say, but that isn''t a problem because there are a lot of people who don''t agree with much of what I say

However, it is a pleasure to see aw ell reasoned arguement put forward from one of the Pro-Worthington people.

I don''t agree with the any of the content in your post whatsoever, Beverly, but it makes a refreshing change for someone in the pro-Worthy camp to put forward a point of view that does not (a) comprise one line only, or (b) throw childish insults at posters who hold a contrary view. Thank you for that.