Sign in to follow this  
jimbo

Ashton will leave in January it is inevitable...........

I have come to terms with the fact that Ashton will leave for a premiership club in January.

Why would he want to stay with us?

Sure, if we were challenging for promotion then yeah he might want to stay but in our current predicament why on earth would he want to stay when he could move back home to Crewe (if Man City or Wigan come in for him which is likely), double his wages, and stand a very good chance of going to the World Cup in Germany.

You might think well we could turn it around between now and January.

Fair point, but lets be realistic here. Look at the fixture list for the coming 2 months. We have 2 home games coming up which yes, we should win (but will we?). Then its Wolves away, Luton at home, followed by Millwall, Coventry, Derby, and Crewe away. We then have Soton at home and Sheffield utd away (bear in mind that Davenport will have gone back to Spurs by the time these 2 games happen) and no i can''t see us going on a run.

In fact i see us being managerless around this time, with either Worthy being sacked or resigning. So that leaves us in a real mess without a manager. We will be in such a mess that Dean will want out for sure i feel if Man City or Wigan come calling.

I know this is negative but can you honestly see us turning results around and subsequently Ashton wanting to stay? Please discuss.

I think that you''re probably right, Jimbo, I can''t see Deano wanting to stay when the offers come in for him. Sadly, I don''t think that he''ll be the only one to go.

Indeed it won''t just be Ashton. Green is an obvious one despite looking a little low on cofindence lately. Safri, last year of contract and there was interest from a Dutch club recently. Shackell if when he regains fitness and doesn''t get the opportunity won''t want to hang around. Then Davenport will be returning to Tottenham. Doubt we''ll afford him or he would want to come here permanently.

No worries concerning Fleming though

Well after all the positives Dean Ashton''s come out with in the EVENING NEWS OR EPD, I think for him to just leave like that would be a bitter blow. Yes Norwich may not be doing great at this moment but for him to leave in the January or at the end of the season would be unfair on Norwich. And yes you can say that''s football to me, but the fact remains that contracts can''t just be signed for nothing. DON''T FORGET HE SIGNED A 4 YEAR CONTRACT WITH NORWICH. I would be very disappointed if he did what FRANCIS did leaving Norwich just after he signed a contract with Norwich. Anyway come to think of it i think that Ashton wouldn''t just leave like that if he considered the contract. The fact that he stated he''s got to repay Norwich surely that says something, so if he says such a thing then surely he should stick by it and be true to his word. I think Ashton will do the honourable thing and at least stay until the end of the season, then if Norwich don''t go up then i could understand it more but having signed a contract not long ago and then just walking off just isn''t right, there''s no justice in that.

THERE IS HOPE IF WE KEEP BELIEVING AND STICKING TOGETHER

THOSE WHO WANT WORTHY OUT SHOULD THINK BEFORE THEY SPEAK,

AND TAKE A LOOK AT RICK WAGHORN''S ARTICLE  

WHY SACKING THE MANAGER WOULDN''T BE RIGHT (it''s a good read)

Hes a top bloke. He tries so hard for Norwich and i would be suprised if he chose to go. I think the only way would be if a ridiculous offer came in. I think he will repay us

I don''t think he''ll leave in January.  He obviously decided he was in for the slog of the first division when he signed his contract extention.  He''s only been in Norwich 9 months and is probably still settling in.  I''d be disappointed if Ashton decided to go, but if he did we couldn''t stand in his way.  However, I''d want a tidy sum for him

I think if the right club comes in, especially one in the North West, then he''ll go and who could blame him. I think Ridgeman is right, its not just the money its the role he''s having to play.

You cant fault his effort but I''m sure when he signed for Norwich he wasnt expecting to spend his Saturday afternoons trying to field long balls all the time and I doubt that he particularly enjoys it! Let''s face it, he comes from a club where the manager practises what he preaches and the team plays passing football, I suspect he''d like to move on to another club that does the same.

[quote]On his recent form, clubs may think twice before making offers...[/quote]

What are you on about? Even when we''ve played like a complete shower, Ashton has been the shining light. 7 goals despite his injury and in a team playing badly - what do you want from him? Blood?

..It will take a bid of around £5.5m for us to break even and thus even contemplate selling a player on a 4-year contract. I can''t see many Premiership clubs bidding this much for a player currently struggling with form (by his standards) and being so injury prone - Euro 2004''s top scorer was recently sold for only£4.5m.. 

However, Wigan may appear a much better option than when they last inquired about him as their place in the premiership is looking more and more assured after each game. If he goes anywhere I think it will be to the Lactics as they are prepared to pay that bit more for players.

Mind you if Peter Taylor joined us then he would be far more likely to stay past January

I agree with Dumble Delia - I don''t think Ashton will leave in January.

IMO Ashton was waking a long term career view when he joined City.  He joined a team that were probably going to be relegated from the Premier League but aimed to be competitive in the Championship and regain promotion as swiftly as possible.

Dario Gradi has stated that he has seen a noticeable improvement in Ashton''s style of play since joining Norwich, and I think Ashton is an astute footballer who realises that his game is benefitting immeasurably from being at Carrow Road, and I don''t think he is any rush to leave.

Hopefully Worthy will be able to bring in players in January who support and complement Ashtons game.

I think Ashton will leave before his contract expires (maybe in January 2007) but i think he shows more loyalty than most players in the modern game, and I don''t think he is going to put in a transfer request based on a few poor results.  

[quote]I have come to terms with the fact that Ashton will leave for a premiership club in January. Why would he want to stay with us? Sure, if we were challenging for promotion then yeah he might want to ...[/quote]

Why is it whenever footballers or their families are discussed everyone seems to think they have a burning desire to return home Francis and now Ashton...I mean have you been to Crewe?...I come from Yarmouth originally why on earth would I want to return there, whatever my profession (unless of course I was a Pikey)