Sign in to follow this  
whoareyou?

Let's have some positive postings..

Have to say, the continuous negative comments about everything to do with the club are becoming very very wearing...cant we have some positive vibes, please?

I know its difficult when the team isn''t playing well but if you think this is bad, you should have been here 8 or so years ago.

C''mon let''s all get behind the team regardless of what you think about the manager, the board et al....we are supposed to be in this together.

I think you''ll find that the majority of posters were here 8 years ago.  It''s probably the memory of such times that makes people not want to go back to those sort of days.

OK you want positive, I am positive that Worthington is not up to the job, if he survives and miraculously we were promoted would you be certain NW could do the business.

Now be honest, after all will not get squillions to squander as our prudent with ambition Board did not look after last seasons windfall very well, did they? 

I''m positive we have a very much better business structure now than 8 years ago. I''m positive we have a very much better football structure than 8 years ago. I''m positive we won''t be going back there in the foreseeable future. I''m positive that we''ve seen the benefits of stability, after years of changing managers with the frequency that some posters change opinions. I''m positive that we have one of the better Boards in the business, though they''ve had the impossible task of being financially prudent while trying to demonstrate to impatient and ill-informed fans that they''re as ambitious as anyone for the Club. I''m positive that, when they''re fit, we''re able to turn out one of the most skilful sides in the division.

I''m also positive that something''s missing in terms of performance - whether it be due to personal problems between players, lack of motivation, lack of confidence or lack of bottle. I''m positive that, if we were promoted this season, we''d struggle again in the Premiership because of that. I''m positive that the coaching needs to be improved. And I''m positive that we still have big holes in the squad.

I''m positive that I will continue to argue against the negative - the mean-minded and ignorant sniping and the refusal to give any credit for anything, not the reasoned and balance assessment.

Why do you determine that anyone who expresses their displeasure is guilty of ignorant sniping and mean-mindedness?  I posted the following on another thread - explain to me what is unreasonable about the sentiment expressed.

"I have been roundly set upon for voicing my opinions on this board.  I cannot understand how easily pleased people have been up until very recently.  After the Brighton game I said that overall it was another very average performance and that we were awful in the second half.  We have not played well over 90 minutes on one single occasion this season.   Who is ultimately responsible?  Either NW doesn''t know what to do to change things or the players simply don''t follow his instructions.  Either way it''s not a good scenario.

We can''t even get the basics right.  Half the time our players can''t control the ball when it comes to them, they can''t complete a simple pass, they are lazy off the ball and never get in the faces of the opposition etc, etc.  We''re a gutless, spineless outift that is prone to capitulation.  4-0 at HT to Luton, 3-0 HT to QPR - embarassing.  Not one single away win all season last year. Let''s not forget the do or die match against Fulham - everything riding on one game, 7,000 away fans travel to support the team - they can''t fail to be up for it, can they?  6-0!

Look at what West Ham and Wigan are doing in the Prem.  We have made no progress whatsover over the last two years despite the Prem money.  The majority of signings have been average also rans.  It simply isn''t good enough.  This isn''t going to be turned around with out some major changes."

Excellent post Old Boy, and apologies if I''m misrepresenting you, but it seems to me that most of the real positives that you outline are the responsibility of the Board whilst most of the problems you acknowledge are the responsibility of the manager.

I''m not sure if that is the message that you intended convey but it precisely sums up my own feelings - we have a very good board but not a very good manager.

"Why do you determine that anyone who expresses their displeasure is guilty of ignorant sniping and mean-mindedness?  I posted the following on another thread - explain to me what is unreasonable about the sentiment expressed."

That''s just what I''m NOT doing Balham - read what I said more carefully. The argument in your post is better reasoned than most, and I have no problem with reasoned argument, whether I agree with it or not.

However! You''re wrong to say that we capitulated against Luton: we were overrun in the first half, but didn''t give up. And in the second half, we came back at them and scored 2 goals to their nil despite having 10 men for a good part of it. No capitulation, so why try to say there was? That''s a small example of what''s become the norm on this forum. If you''d just cited the QPR game, I''d have had no problem.

I am absolutely fed up with hearing lets be positive with our postings!!!

Many times I have said on these boards lets look at the negatives when assessing the team play, and address these factors in a positive way, whereupon the outcome should improve.  In my long life I have found that it is the only way to improve results, whatever profession we may be in.

Rose tints are for the unaware, and childish among us who at all times are looking for the easy way.  I''ve got news for those who think this way.  The product get''s worse, not better.

Balham Yellow, you have posted a well reasoned observation. mature in it,s concept and if indeed you are a junior member in age, well said to you.

As regards Nigel Worthington, he has been telling our lazy lot of players out there for ages precisely what they must do, and when they followed his requests we saw at Birmingham what the outcome could be.  Not perfect, but an improvement nevertheless. We can all see the difference that Safri brings to our game, a positive, one might say, It is so obvious to all, the difference that his efforts make to the game, you would think that some of his time wasting effortless team mates would get their fingers out ,and try to emulate him.  Read Balham Yello''s third paragraph, negative in his observation,yes!! but spot-on.  Address the negatives, team , and thereby ,improve!!! OTBC

Fans will generally accept poor or avaerage performances if the results are good (series of 1-0 wins a la Blackburn for example). Because they know that a club can always entice better players if the club is near the top of their division.

Fans will also generally accept up and down results if the football is exciting and attacking because they feel that consistency will probably come and it shows there are good players, even if they are inconsistent.

What City fans are getting at the moment are poor results against poorer teams than us, and performances that, generally, fail to stir the heart/loins/soul. We also know that the good players in the squad are strong contenders as transfer targets come January, and that we will not be in a position to attract better players if we sell the best we already have.

Much has been made recently of West Ham & Crystal Palace sticking by their respective managers and achieving promotion - Palace were in dire straits around this time and the board took the decision to sack Steve Kember and appoint Ian dowie; West Ham were in a similar position and consequently sacked Glenn Roeder and appointed Pardew. Gambles certainly, but it does tend to shoot down in flames some of the not-very-well-thought-out arguments that have appeared on this forum and the local press.

We need to be close to the play-off zone before Christmas or the worst could happen, and it will probably be too late to effect a management change.

i dont think i am looking for rose tinted glasses. Yes there are things wrong with the team and the manager is the only one who can put it right in the end. But most teams would love to have a number of our players in their squad and the more divisive we become the harder it will be to put things right. If anyone thought that this would be an easy ride this season then they were mistaken and i think some of the players need to think hard on that fact too.

It is true that the only way out of this divsion is to work hard AND as a team!

I can''t comment on Steve Kember but I don''t think that it was much of a gamble with Glenn Roeder as he had not proved himself AT ALL and had also made himself very ill. I don''t think it is in anyway fair to compare him with Nigel Worthington.

[quote]Remind me - where were Palace in the League at Christmas in the season they were promoted?[/quote]

I see what you are saying Old Boy but it''s not really the best example given the fact that they changed manager.

Mmmhh, now let me see.....Oh yes! I''m positive...ly livid - that our Honourable Members of Parliament have had allowances for a financial year to the tune of £80 million pounds! Which amounts to roughly £122.000+ quid each? Oh, and thats on top of their wages.......I''m sympathetic though, as they earn every penny!...........NOT!

On a positive note concerning football, it''s good to see Leon doesn''t require further surgery on his ankle, and that the club AGM will be attended by some contributes on this forum- who can then debrief us on the agenda/outcome, and all the other stuff and things like cakes, coffee, tea and sympathy.

ON THE FALL CITY! ;~) AND KEEP THE FILTH!