Sign in to follow this  
FatMan Fat

A quote from Nigel

"The fans picked up on that on Saturday. You can never fool them. They know their football, they can see things.”

As quoted by Nigel in a recent "Pink Un" article.

Yes, Nigel, we do know our football, and no, we won''t be fooled by the stuff you have been serving up over the last 50 or so matches - check out the "Pink Un" poll!!

Another quote by Nigel from yesterday:

"We''ve got to get back to playing like we have over the last five seasons. Yes, we got beaten last season when some teams turned on the odd bit of quality here and there....."

We conceded 77 goals Nigel and did not win once away!!!!

[quote]whatever he could have said, it would be turned against him[/quote]

That''s what happens when you are not doing your job well and you are respnsible and accountable for a team''s performance, which Nigel is as the Team Manager.

So by your logic FMFat, if someone working for a company on the shop floor decides to put in 95% effort when only 100% will do, and then you end up with poor business performance, its your fault. Sack the top man because some lackies fail to put in a shift!

Yes you are accountable at the top for overall performance, but any sensible person will tell you that success in business (and sport) is measured over the longer term.

All companies and teams have blips but on the release of a profits warnings or a turn down in the companies fortunes, it is better to stick with someone with a proven track record of producing results. Especially when last year our fledgling team was pitted against teams with years in year out investment in squads. We finished in the bottom three alongside Palace (simon Jordan investes a lot of dough) and southampton (mismanagement by the chairman and players ''sacking it off''). West Brom had yoyo''d but had 1 years prem money, i years parachute and then only squeaked to stay up.

Apply some sensible logic to all the boo-boy sentiments out there. A little more in depth analysis of results is needed. Curbishley could have been sacked 5 times over, Pardew was up for the chop this time 12 months ago, and despite of what people think of Ericsson he is one of the most successful managers about.

They all take responsibility. They are all accountable. But they do stay in place because those who employ them know more about what skill they have than fans who get to glimpse performances every oyther saturday or ''watch'' on the radio.

I have no idea what enviroment you work in, Rocky, but apart from my first two years at work I have always worked in a results driven, team, enviroment.

In every instance, if there has been prolonged failure then the manager paid the ultimate price ,whilst the team members invariably stayed in place. Indeed, as I got older and secured more senior positions, twice it was I who paid the price for not producing to expectation, whilst my then ex-team members stayed in place.

Ultimately, a manager gets the team that they deserve, and that is why they have to take the overall responsibility and take overall accountability. They build the team that they want; they coach the team that they want; they set the standards that they want - if they fail, they go.

Simple really.

Another quote.

This morning I was listening to Radio Norfolk when an interview with Worthington was being played and I am somewhat suprised that it has not been mentioned on here he said that he wasn''t bothered by moaners you will always get moaners they just like the sound of their own voice. Obviously invincible.

so do you want him to be bothered by you ridgeman? how weak would that make him if he let all the slaters get to him? anyone who''s not thick skinned enough to ignore them wouldn''t last 2 seconds in management.

as is often said, a manager should ignore the best of the complements and the worst of the insults in order to keep some perspective. even by doing that there''s still plenty of pressure on the manager without him having to pay attention to the vast majority of this board.