Sign in to follow this  
Tilt

Metaphor

Anyone else here get a little tired at the unoriginal press? I can''t remember the last time I read a newspaper / match report without a crap metaphor in it somewhere. The gems I am talking about include:

Canaries spread their wings
Canaries soar above the rest
"Flying-high"
Crash back down to earth...
Get their wings clipped...

...and various others!

I agree with you.I quite enjoyed the ''Huckerby has a license to thrill'' headline,gets me thrilled just thinking about him back home for the Bradford game.

I''m pretty sure they have an organ grinder type machine that the press chimps turn once in a while, and out pops a bit of paper with said metaphors. Once used, the piece of paper is, naturally, returned to the box.

We should come up with a new list to cover recent events - here''s my offering:

"Canaries beak out over racism claims" eh? eh?

Aahh, takes me back, this thread, to the old classic headline from the Autumn of 1993.......

The Daily Express (I think) ran a two page spread of our glorious victory in Munich, with the headline,

"Tweet as a Nut"!

Now THAT is funny. I would pay very very good money to see a newspaper do something like that! There''s no comedy in newspaper reporting nowadays. Just thought of another:

"Canaries number one seed for title"

A headline I would have liked to have seen in the past when Andy Marshall left Norwich:

"Canary Dropping Lands On Ipswich"

P.S. I think the bird post ( cityangel ) missed the beak ( point ) of this thread and needs to come up with a sentence that does not include Huckerby.

I''m not involving myself in any fights or discrepancies between posters and this is merely a humourous anecdote, but perhaps CityAngel is the person that sat behind me during the Cardiff match.

"Go on Huckerby ...... Come on Huckerby"

Then ABSOLUTE silence while the other players had the ball.

Then DH would go near it again and -

"Come on Huckerby, you can do it ... go on Huckerby"

Then silence again .....

I don''t think we had any other players that day!! Still, that''s what he''s there for, to put bums on seats and entertain the fans.

The best ever was in the Pink un after the 58/59 Cup Run And The Manchester United Game. I just about remember the game but the headline is forever "BLY BLY BABES"

Hmmmm we seem to have completely gone off the mark here. Admittedly all of my posts have been puns (a pistol at the ear for those of you who know your quotations) and not metaphors - sorry about that Tilt Lives!

No Mook it wasn''t me sitting behind you! I shout and encourage everyone of our lads.i thought this thread was about headlines in the papers so I was just sharing with you the one which made me smile.Anyway why would someone getting excited about Huckerby bother you,we all have our favourites and as you say he puts bums on seats!