Sign in to follow this  
CambridgeCanary

Worth Reading

Sorry can''t find a web link but Tony Cascarino''s column in today''s Times is insightful regarding the personal trauma that a player can suffer when out of form and being booed even to the extent of not giving tickets to family and friends so that they don''t get to hear the abuse:.

He is writing about Peter Crouch but the article even made me feel sorry for Nigel Worthington....never mind poor Hendo!!

i''d like to read that. i''ll have a trawl on the times site. i think it''s just appalling what crouch has had to put up with. why do people have to behave like such w*****s? is he getting stick from liverpool fans as well? there are many players a lot worse than him but given what he is going through his confidence is bound to be rock bottom. shefki koochy koo for a start, people should pick on him!

he''s such a nice bloke and he doesn''t deserve all this. it''s a real shame we didn''t sign him.

I think this is a very good point -especially in regard to Henderson. I''ve been re-reading Iwan''s book and in it he describes how in one game the crowd gave Hendo such a hard time that he was practically in tears at half time.

I know opinion is split about the manager at the moment but (and I do know this is sort of stating the obvious) we really need to get behind the boys now and none more so than the young ''uns if they are picked.

It sickens me that Henderson could be booed by City "fans". Whenever I''ve seen him, I''ve been impressed by his attitude and very often by his skill. He''s had poor games, but even Hux has poor games. I think it''s a tribute to the kid that he''s stuck at it. I expect him to make a very fine striker.

[quote]It sickens me that Henderson could be booed by City "fans". Whenever I''ve seen him, I''ve been impressed by his attitude and very often by his skill. He''s had poor games, but even Hux has poor games. I...[/quote]

At times he hasnt impressed, and he comes across as a bit big-headed, but booing any of our players is awful. Unfortuantly I have a few of these sort of fans near me, does your head in, but what can you do?

I can''t stand booing of players.  What I really hate though is when the fans get on at players like the Doc and Hendo before they have really had a chance to prove themselves. 

Until Hendo gets regular games as a striker nobody can judge him.

[quote]nice pic of the doc xxx[/quote]

You have a picture of the Doc playing football.

I prefer the picture of him in a heightened state of arousal..

Each to their own I guess

[quote]I would like to see more of Henderson and Jarvis.[/quote]

I guess we all would...especially if it was in their "proper" position of central striker rather than makeshift wide right midfield.

Cascarino is probably quite unusual though, in being particularly susceptible to criticism. In his book ''Full Time'' he even goes so far as to describe being so nervous that he hoped not to be brought off the bench as a sub. 

[quote]Cascarino is probably quite unusual though, in being particularly susceptible to criticism. In his book ''Full Time'' he even goes so far as to describe being so nervous that he hoped not to be brought ...[/quote]

Lawyers have a principle that you must take your victim as you find him.  It is no defence to murder that your victim had a weak skull and would not have died from the force of the blow if he had a normal skull,if you intended to hit and kill him.  We can''t assume that all players or managers have the hides of rhinos.  Worthy has shown how thin skinned he is.

We can and perhaps should criticise.  I regret nothing I have said about Worthy.  We should though be a little more aware that these are people and they have feelings too.  Hendo is clearly a sensitive soul and there may be others.  Colin is young and playing in a foreign country.  WLY has reacted badly to what he saw as unfair criticism and won''t talk to the EDP.

Cascarino just tells it from the other side and it does give pause for thought

BUT refs are always fair game!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

United in our love for City

Saint makes an interesting point about not being given the opportunity to prove oneself - seems to be a bit of a regular problem in the Norwich side.   See Safri, Jarvis, Henderson, Helveg etc...

does that include jarrett or he is still open to criticism, cos
you wouldn''t think so according to this board