Sign in to follow this  
grinner

footballs

is this a new thing,but why do the ball boys and giirls keep throwing 1 to 2 balls on the pitch at the same time when the ball goes out of play. this seems to happen a lot at carrow this season.i now sheffield united have been doing it for ages. but this slows game down or is that the game plan.

This whole ball boy thing needs looking at. Did anyone else notice that the Everton ball "boys" seemed to be trained adults who chose when to give the ball back.

By using keen school children we are giving the away team an advantage on some occasions. It seems that the Premier teams may use them to give more of an advantage to the home team!

I could not agree more. Everton ball boys were very professional. For too long at home we have used little kiddies who had not a clue about getting the ball back quickly when needed. It seems to be better now with one ball boy behind each goal with a responsibility and a knowledge to get the ball back in play asap (unless Greeno says otherwise!).
Let''s hope they are all trained properly and we use older boys all around the groung who know what is expected of them. May be hard on the very young kids but it is much more professional.

we always had a ball thrown in from the dugout if a ball got stuck or was kicked over a stand roof. the ref always had to test the ball to make sure in his mind it was of a correct standard. no more seams to be the case.new laws should be printed in our local paper at the start of every season so i can keep my old brain up to speed.

I''m sure I remember once - back in the 80''s sometime, we were clinging on to a 1 goal lead at home, against Luton I think it was, but were under constant pressure in the final minutes and a the ball went out for a throw in to Luton. The ball boy - who appeared to be a young teenager, held the ball out for the Luton player to come and get, and just as he approached him, the ball boy threw the ball as far down the touch line as he could wasting valuable seconds!

We managed to hang on for a narrow win - and i like to think that he played an important part in the victory.

Top marks!!

Of course, we couldn''t possibly condone that kind of behaviour nowadays could we ;-)

Was that ball boy you? Seriously when you think how games can swing on a small thing it is important to get this right and to be fair there have been some very switched on youngsters at times who have got it just right.

But equally in most schools a couple of kids will go along who don''t regularly attend or watch football on TV and they are not really sure what to do apart from sit quietly unless the ball goes near to them and then give it to whoever asks for it when they can! Compare this to the weeks of training for Wimbledon tennis ball boys.

The ball boys at Carrow Road are probably frightened that the visiting players will do a ''Paulo Wanchope'' on them if they don''t return the ball quick enough...