Sign in to follow this  
Stuart H

brum=v good shef wed=v poor ?????

Can anyone tell me why norwich can play very well against a premiership side one minute and then lose to a struggling championship side short of goals and not even won away from home until now.

I went to watch the birmingham game on wednesday and in my opinion norwich were very impressive. The defence played very well  as did greeno. Ashton had a very good game but the difference was that the forwards were getting service. On wednesday there was a lot of forward runs from midfield and throught balls to deano.

But today against a very poor side there seemed to be no service at all. Against sheffield wed there is no need to become defensive in midfield. we could afford to let midfield players bomb forward. how we lack francis.

I feel that maybe we should try a 4-3-1-2 formation which i know we have tried before with mcveigh or henderson or maybe huckerby just behind the front two feeding balls into there feet. this is what strikers need, not going halfway up the pitch to recieve the ball.

or maybe try 4-5-1/4-3-3 system with deano upfront just behind him hucks and mcveigh then a midfield of  any of safs,hughes,marney,brennan ,hendo etc

What every we need to change something and quick.

I think Norwich are entering a phase common to many underperforming clubs.

It is due to fear of failure. It begins with relegation & continues when life in a lower division turns out to be full of other clubs desperate for sucess.The condition is characterised by players being over-cautious (passing sideways & backwards), frightened of responsibility (not shooting but passing, shooting from too far out) & not having the confidence to support the attack.

The origins of this vary from club to club, but you will often find luck plays a huge part in it. If you look back at Norwich games up to the last couple of weeks, it is obvious that they could easily have won most of them with a little more luck - even though they weren''t playing well. Injuries - particularly to key players at key times - were also extremely unlucky. However, the nightmare scenario has now kicked in, they are on a downward spiral; they know that every time an opponent tries a shot on goal Green will be picking it out of the net &, no matter how they huff & puff, they will not score. These feelings are not conscious - they will be protesting their confidence that things will turn round - but deep down they are beaten before they get on the pitch.

The problem does not lie with the players'' ability. I actually believe Norwich would have performed better in the Premiership this year than they did last year.

How to get out of this? God knows. But I''m not sure Worthington does. This situation will make or break him.

It''s not about winning with a good hand, it''s playing the bad hand well.

Another excellent post andrew young.

David Moyes and his team are in the same situation at Everton. Arguably so are Steve Bruce and Birmingham. Will be interesting to see how their result today affects them both.

It remains to be seen whether Worthy and our players have the self-belief to forget about the terrible results so far this season, and the boos and jeers from their supporters, and turn it round. Like you say, make or break.

Also for the flipside of this - the effect on performance of zero expectation, a few good results and hence soaring confidence - look at Wigan. Second in the premiership tonight.