Sign in to follow this  
kick it off

What are you watching? (Recommendations thread)

Hi all,
Thought it might be nice to get some discourse going about anything good that you''ve watched/are watching at the moment. Films or TV series - either is fine. Also helpful to state where one might be able to get hold of said series/movies where possible.
For me - TV:
Unforgotten - Whodunnit cold case crime drama mini-series. Based on discovering bodies from murders several years prior (7/8 parters) - 3 series available on the ITV on demand service. It''s not exactly a ground breaking format, but really well written and mostly well acted, quite gripping once you start.
The Alienist - Available exclusively on Netflix at the moment, another crime drama set in New York at the end of the 19th Century. Very well written and hooks you in from the outset. I would say that the way it''s been filmed (adapted from a book) is not always very clear, and I found myself wondering if I''d somehow missed something key as the storyline arc seemed to miss the beginning but overall I really enoyed it. Caution: Can be brutal in parts.
Misadventures of Romesh Ranganathan - Only 3 episodes which was a shame, all available on BBC Iplayer - A really nice look at what it means to be a tourist in countries well off the beaten track (Ethiopia, Albania and Haiti). I really like his humour, and I love travel so this was right up my street. Really interesting insight into what these countries are like in terms of culture etc. I found Ethiopia particularly eye opening as it was not what I expected largely.
Who is America? Available on Channel 4 on demand - Sacha Baron Cohen''s latest incarnations go to America in search of ways to embarrass the unwitting right wing. He''s managed to get a Republican congressman sacked (well the congressman got himself sacked by going along with the ridiculous acitivities from SBC''s new ''Ex-Mossad'' character) and upset Sarah Palin. Also got for Sec of Defense Cheney (responsible for Afghanistan and Iraq wars x 2 plus Guantanamo Bay etc) to sign his "waterboarding kit". I thought SBC was washed up and had pretty low expectations for this one, but have been really pleasantly surprised by how good it is. Probably one to avoid if you''re a Trump fan though.
The Staircase - Available on Netflix - True crime documentary series in the vein of "making a murderer", investigating a husband on trial for murdering his wife who has been found dead at the bottom of the stairs. Filmed really well and provides a round picture of events - plays it with more of a straight bat than making a murderer, although still biased towards the defendant.

The only one I have seen is Romesh. Quite good and he is getting a lot of exposure on othe platforms. His mum make me laugh also.

If you go anywhere exotic on holiday you will be surrounded by British comedians doing travelogues[:D]
Just been watching David Baddiel on the Silk Road. Interesting to watch,with a slant towards the history, while visiting some stunning places.
I''ve only watched the one on Ethiopia, but Romesh''s programme was probably more fun.

I would highly recommend The Football Club: Artist In Residence on C4.
This is a great view from inside WBA FC through the eyes of a non football loving person. An eye opener to a club in turmoil with great insights from fans, manager and club insiders alike.
(Small spoiler, Tony Pulis has a large portrait of Napoeon in his house[:D]).

I caught the last one and it was good. Bob showing Paul how to cast off was a joy[Y]

I have had so many first time fishermen on our boats out in the north sea that would make Paul look like a pro.[:D]

Stewart Lee-Content Provider on BBC iPlayer. A live show of his latest routine. Typical Lee in that it is funny and sometimes hard work. An aquired taste, but worth the effort.
Here''s his view on Brexit.
[url]https://youtu.be/jrbU3bH6Bl0[/url]

If you like art, Britain''s Lost Masterpieces and Fake Or Fortune are both good programmes. Both investigative and get into the smaller details and techniques of painting. When the BBC is good.

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]Mortimer and Whitehouse. Gone Fishing. Well I think its funny [:D][/quote]
I had a look at this but not really my cup of tea.

The old saying proves right once again. You can please some of the people some of the time, but not all of Ect Ect Ect [:D]
But I''m glad a second series is in the offing. Gentle humour.

Aye, I do like Paul and Bob, and it wasnt particularly horrendous - i wasnt switching it off halfway thru or anything, just didnt feel compelled to watch any more episodes.

One of my mates watched in the hope that with them both having heart problems they would keel over on set like Tommy Cooper and spin of this mortal coil.[:D]

Bodyguard was ok if you could get past the glaring holes in the plot and some of the narrative.

Thought Killing Eve was awesome.

Sexy, black humour and a great story made it unmissable TV so far this year.

Loved Killing Eve.

Jodie Comer was a sexy lady even with her face swollen up and a black eye.

Presumably we can look forward to a second series.

On 04/11/2018 at 21:06, Yellowfuture said:

Loved Killing Eve.

Jodie Comer was a sexy lady even with her face swollen up and a black eye.

Presumably we can look forward to a second series.

We can- my wife saw it being filmed outside her office!

Supernatural Season 13 episode 16. Not overall a show I'd recommend, but this episode in particular for any sci-fi, fantasy fans should be worth a watch. Its a Scooby Doo crossover episode and its pretty good. The show in general is two brothers hunt monsters, ghosts, demons etc and stop apocalypses.

supernatural-scooby-doo-recap.png

Guitar, Drum and Bass on BBC4. Good first part with an enthusiastic Stewart Copeland explaining the beginnings of drumming to where we are now. Nice to hear Ringo get a glowing report from his fellow drummers.

Next episode Tina Weymouth on the bass.

Next episode Tina Weymouth on the bass.

Along with Andy Fraser, created one of the most recognisable and great bass riffs that even a bad player like me can copy.

Went to see The Favourite. Did like Olivia Colman's performance (maybe biased) but the film didn't grab me as one to really recommend. Especially the special effects noises supposed to create an atmosphere just made everyone in the cinema fidget and mutter.

It may have been better in a larger auditorium but in a smaller fifty seat lounge it was not the best.

The story was largely accurate with the acceptable artistic license.

Seen Stan and Ollie which I enjoyed thoroughly. The settings and the feel to the film were excellent and the two actors were remarkable.

Also just seen Vice and it kind of follows on behind W. If true, and the suspicion is so much is completely true, then politics and business comes out of this really appalling. Christian Bale certainly cements his place as a top character actor and who doesn't like Amy Adams. 

Birdbox on Netflix is pretty naff. Not quite sure what all the hype for it is all about. Last Kingdom remains epic though - If you've not seen it then it's worth a watch from the start. Game of Thrones season starts soon (well, April!). Really looking forward to that.

I really enjoyed the Last Kingdom and didn't realise there was another series. I wonder if the BBC will show it?

8 minutes ago, Herman said:

I really enjoyed the Last Kingdom and didn't realise there was another series. I wonder if the BBC will show it?

I think Netflix bought the sole rights to it so not sure whether BBC will be showing Season 3. Its available online for free if you dont have netflix but you know where to look (Googling project free tv may help with that) or also available more legally on dvd. Season 4 has been confirmed too although as season 3 only came out last month, season 4 is a while away yet.

Edited by kick it off