PurpleCanary

The Never-President Trump

Same … (lost) appealed (lost) appealed (lost)  sued again, so still  tied up in the courts. 

His presidency has highlighted just how archaic so many aspects is US public administration are and just how many reforms are needed to those processes.  

28 minutes ago, Surfer said:

Same … (lost) appealed (lost) appealed (lost)  sued again, so still  tied up in the courts. 

His presidency has highlighted just how archaic so many aspects is US public administration are and just how many reforms are needed to those processes.  

The intellectual difference between Obama and Trump must be the widest in the western world.

33 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The intellectual difference between Obama and Trump must be the widest in the western world.

Only exceeded by the ethical gap.

Trump claims he ‘would have stopped’ Capitol rioters if Secret Service had let him ‘go down there’

Former President Donald Trump claims he was “surprised” by the assault on Capitol Hill committed by his supporters, and adds that he “would have stopped” the mob had Secret Service only let him attend the scene in person.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/trump-claims-he-would-have-stopped-capitol-rioters-if-secret-service-had-let-him-go-down-there/ar-AAPHCeS?ocid=msedgntp

Which makes it extraordinarily hard to explain why he is doing everything he can to prevent the release of information about what he did during the insurrection riot. 

34 minutes ago, horsefly said:

Trump claims he ‘would have stopped’ Capitol rioters if Secret Service had let him ‘go down there’

Former President Donald Trump claims he was “surprised” by the assault on Capitol Hill committed by his supporters, and adds that he “would have stopped” the mob had Secret Service only let him attend the scene in person.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/trump-claims-he-would-have-stopped-capitol-rioters-if-secret-service-had-let-him-go-down-there/ar-AAPHCeS?ocid=msedgntp

Which makes it extraordinarily hard to explain why he is doing everything he can to prevent the release of information about what he did during the insurrection riot. 

I believe its called obfuscation.

On 14/10/2021 at 22:58, Yellow Fever said:

You rather make my point. Christianity has little to nothing to say on the subject of slavery, actually less so than some of the religions you criticise. If there had been some statement, proverb or whatever at its roots stating thou shall not have slaves then you might claim it as a Christian example. There is not.

There are many enlightened men and women from all religions and none including Islam,  all of their time and all equally flawed as well. In more recent times Gandhi stands out.

For sure there are enlightened people from many religions and no single religion has the monopoly on righteousness. I was making the point that Wilberforce's  Christian beliefs were at the root of his campaign for the abolition of slavery. Without those Christian beliefs he may have never undertook the campaign and slavery may have continued for another century or more. We can place Wilberforce next to Gandhi and recognise them as men of their time.

On 15/10/2021 at 08:04, BigFish said:

To be pedantic this is hogwash. The Crusades were Western European and Roman Catholic. Jerusalem had never been theirs and they had largely never been there, while by 1095 Jerusalem had Muslim leadership for several centuries. They also spent much of their time fighting Christians who had other belief systems including several horrific massacres such as the sack of Christian Constantinople in 1204 when they spent days killing Christians. You are confusing politics with religion in an attempt to avoid inconvienent facts that the roots of much of this rests with colonialist history. The US spent a decade funding Al Qaeda as did their Saudi allies. After 9/11 Bush called for a crusade, so this is not one way. You analysis is not only incorrect but based on racism.

You are making a fundamental error in trying to put the actions you describe into a modern context where by and large we have modern nation states, in the West, that exist separately from the religious component of those nations. You can't do that when discussing events of almost one thousand years ago because nation and religion were bound tightly together from the top to the bottom of society. So saying that people were forced to follow religion or suffer loss of job or home, has to be seen within the context that a non-believer couldn't possibly remain in a community of believers, as harsh as that seems to us today. Indeed, in Islam today, this context still exists for apostates, just as it did in Christianity a thousand years ago.

Again, you are using a modern-day context to describe Jerusalem as never belonging to Christianity. That ignores the point that Jerusalem has always been an important holy site for Christians and they would seek to defend the holy sites from desecration. Given the intertwining of nation state and Christianity at that time it is not unsurprising that the call from the pope to come to the defence of the holy land would be answered by Europe's princes and kings. Indeed, we only need to remember the desecration of holy and ancient historical sites in the ISIS caliphate to understand what the threat to Jerusalem must have felt to the Crusaders. I should imagine that even the most hardened atheist must have been deeply saddened to witness the destruction of ancient history, much of it religious-based that can never be recovered.

In conclusion, I am not confusing politics with religion. I am recognising that religion and politics have gone hand-in-hand down the centuries with factors affecting one often having effects on the other. Since the Christian Reformation, there has been an unshackling of that tight bond in Western countries but it still is there in degrees. There has been no similar Reformation in Islam and that religion has been able to maintain a strong bond between it and the Islamic nations. Therefore, they provide a clear example of what happens when a two-thousand year old theology is allowed to bind itself to a modern nation state. It's not racist to study outcomes or draw conclusions

1 hour ago, Rock The Boat said:

For sure there are enlightened people from many religions and no single religion has the monopoly on righteousness. I was making the point that Wilberforce's  Christian beliefs were at the root of his campaign for the abolition of slavery. Without those Christian beliefs he may have never undertook the campaign and slavery may have continued for another century or more. We can place Wilberforce next to Gandhi and recognise them as men of their time.

Wilberforce certainly had an important role to play in the abolition of slavery but it is pure nonsense to claim that slavery would have continued for another century without his input. Prior to his involvement there was already a very important and flourishing abolitionist movement begun by the Quakers' establishment of anti-slavery committees (evidenced by their presentation of a petiton to parliament in 1783). The Rev. James Ramsey had already spent several years writing a book calling for abolition before meeting Wilberforce in 1783. Wilberforce's first activity in support of abolition didn't occur until circa 1786-7. Frankly, comparing Wilberforce to Ghandi is patently absurd.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Rock The Boat said:

You are making a fundamental error in trying to put the actions you describe into a modern context where by and large we have modern nation states, in the West, that exist separately from the religious component of those nations. You can't do that when discussing events of almost one thousand years ago because nation and religion were bound tightly together from the top to the bottom of society. So saying that people were forced to follow religion or suffer loss of job or home, has to be seen within the context that a non-believer couldn't possibly remain in a community of believers, as harsh as that seems to us today. Indeed, in Islam today, this context still exists for apostates, just as it did in Christianity a thousand years ago.

Again, you are using a modern-day context to describe Jerusalem as never belonging to Christianity. That ignores the point that Jerusalem has always been an important holy site for Christians and they would seek to defend the holy sites from desecration. Given the intertwining of nation state and Christianity at that time it is not unsurprising that the call from the pope to come to the defence of the holy land would be answered by Europe's princes and kings. Indeed, we only need to remember the desecration of holy and ancient historical sites in the ISIS caliphate to understand what the threat to Jerusalem must have felt to the Crusaders. I should imagine that even the most hardened atheist must have been deeply saddened to witness the destruction of ancient history, much of it religious-based that can never be recovered.

In conclusion, I am not confusing politics with religion. I am recognising that religion and politics have gone hand-in-hand down the centuries with factors affecting one often having effects on the other. Since the Christian Reformation, there has been an unshackling of that tight bond in Western countries but it still is there in degrees. There has been no similar Reformation in Islam and that religion has been able to maintain a strong bond between it and the Islamic nations. Therefore, they provide a clear example of what happens when a two-thousand year old theology is allowed to bind itself to a modern nation state. It's not racist to study outcomes or draw conclusions

The error was not mine RTB, and you have compounded this with further inaccuracies. Clearly the UK has an established church which places unelected representatives in its legislature. The head of that church is also the head of state. Furthermore, there were no nation states at the time of the crusades, that is a much later invention. Lastly, the Islamic states I think you are referring to were largley created by Westerm Imperialism and Western states have largely stamped on any attempts to secularise them. To paint them solely in the light of what you call a two thousand year ideology is clealy lacking in context.

• Like 1

The problem with religion is it can be rather malleable when people say they act in line with its tenets. Certainly what appears to be "Christianity" when it peddles an anti-LGBTQ and immigrant agenda appears to have very little with what Jesus Christ wanted to say.

But this sums up my view on religion in a nutshell.

Religion.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Meanwhile, back in Trumpland... Liz Cheney is not pulling any punches. Wish that were true of the vast majority of her Republican colleagues. 

Bannon.jpg

Cheney.jpg

• Like 3

Yet another criminal investigation into yet another Trump company. Frankly I've lost count of the number of criminal probes and prosecutions the most corrupt US president in history is currently subject to (I'm confident Surfer will know the total).

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/report-trump-golf-club-under-new-criminal-probe-over-taxes/ar-AAPL2CC?ocid=msedgntp

Report: Trump golf club under new criminal probe over taxes

Yet another election audit confirms that Trump and his gang of loons are liars and losers:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/wisconsin-audit-finds-elections-are-safe-and-secure/ar-AAPQ76t?ocid=msedgntp

Wisconsin audit finds elections are 'safe and secure'

Via AP news wire  16 hrs ago
A highly anticipated nonpartisan audit of the 2020 presidential election in Wisconsin released Friday did not identify any widespread fraud in the battleground state, which a key Republican legislative leader said shows that the state's elections are “safe and secure.”

image.png

This story is almost too beautiful to be true, but true it is:

Texas Lt Governor pays out $25k reward for proof of election fraud – but over a Republican who tried to vote twice

A Texas politician’s attempt to bolster former president Donald Trump’s post-2020 election lies about voter fraud with an offer of cash for tips has made a Pennsylvania Democratic poll worker $25,000 richer.

Last November, Texas Lieutenant Governor Dan Patrick announced that his campaign committee would pay out up to $1m in rewards “to incentivize, encourage and reward people to come forward and report voter fraud,” with a minimum payment of $25,000 to “anyone who provides information that leads to an arrest and final conviction of voter fraud,” anywhere.

On Thursday, Texans for Dan Patrick cut a $25,000 check to Eric Frank, a Democratic election worker from Chester County, Pennsylvania. According to the Dallas Morning News, Mr Frank earned the reward because he had notified authorities when a Willistown Township, Pennsylvania man — a registered Republican — illegally cast a second ballot in his son’s name last year.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/texas-lt-governor-pays-out-25k-reward-for-proof-of-election-fraud-but-over-a-republican-who-tried-to-vote-twice/ar-AAPQhkh?ocid=msedgntp

Schadenfreude is such a delicious feeling!

Meanwhile ... what a surprise that those six Republican Congressmen/women were involved.... 

And they weren't the only ones, no wonder the GOP are trying to sabotage the Jan 6th investigation.

MAkes sense .jpg

I really needn't comment on the depravity of Trump's thicko son:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/donald-trump-jr-sells-t-shirts-mocking-alec-baldwin-set-shooting/ar-AAPV2cT?ocid=msedgntp

Donald Trump Jr sells T-shirts mocking Alec Baldwin set shooting

Donald Trump Jr has begun selling merchandise that mocks Alec Baldwin, who fatally shot a cinematographer during an on-set incident last week.

Mr Trump has been sharing several Instagram photos and stories since Thursday’s tragic film set incident in New Mexico, where Mr Baldwin was filming Rust outside Santa Fe.

One of the latest stories showed a T-shirt with the words: “Guns don’t kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people”. The Instagram story had a link to Mr Trump’s online website, where the T-shirt is being sold for $27.99 (£20.34).

In another Instagram story, he shared a photoshopped image of Mr Baldwin wearing the same T-shirt.

A photoshopped image of Alec Baldwin wearing the T-shirt (Instagram/ Donald Trump Jr)

image.png

Wow! this really is quite a bombshell that exposes the complicity of certain Republican politicians in the 1/6 insurrection:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/report-claims-6-january-organisers-met-with-gop-lawmakers-and-were-told-of-blanket-white-house-pardon/ar-AAPV505?ocid=msedgntp

Report claims 6 January organisers met with GOP lawmakers and were told of ‘blanket’ White House pardon

Some of the organisers of the pro-Trump rally in Washington that preceded the storming of the Capitol on 6 January have said they worked closely with several Republican politicians and officials and were assured a “blanket” White House pardon, according to a report.

Two sources described as being involved in planning the protest at the White House, where Donald Trump urged his supporters to march on the Capitol, told Rolling Stone they had “dozens” of planning briefings with members of Congress and Mr Trump’s team, and that former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows had the opportunity to prevent the protest from escalating.

The rally organisers claimed they were in touch with Georgia representative Marjorie Taylor Greene, Arizona’s Paul Gosar and Andy Biggs, Colorado’s Lauren Boebert, Mo Brooks of Alaska, North Carolina’s Madison Cawthorn and Louie Gohmert of Texas.

“I remember Marjorie Taylor Greene specifically,” one of the two sources told Rolling Stone. “I remember talking to probably close to a dozen other members [of Congress] at one point or another or their staffs.

“We would talk to Boebert’s team, Cawthorn’s team, Gosar’s team like back to back to back to back,” the source said.

Talking of Rep Mo Brookes - trying to throw his staff under the bus now ... 

Guilty?.jpg

Edited by Surfer

Praise the Lord! Although I'm not quite sure why God put Biden in the White House in the first place if he wants him removed. I always thought he was supposed to be omnipotent and infallible, and that it is a heresy to claim God makes mistakes.

Joyful!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/woman-who-stormed-capitol-then-said-she-s-never-going-to-prison-is-going-to-prison/ar-AAQkqUI?ocid=msedgntp

She wrote, “I came to D.C. to protest the election results. I wanted my voice to be heard. My only weapon was my voice and my cell phone.”

Ryan continued in her letter that a tweet in which she stated, “blonde hair white skin, a great job, a great future, and I’m not going to jail,” meant she was above the law.

5 hours ago, horsefly said:

Joyful!

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/woman-who-stormed-capitol-then-said-she-s-never-going-to-prison-is-going-to-prison/ar-AAQkqUI?ocid=msedgntp

She wrote, “I came to D.C. to protest the election results. I wanted my voice to be heard. My only weapon was my voice and my cell phone.”

Ryan continued in her letter that a tweet in which she stated, “blonde hair white skin, a great job, a great future, and I’m not going to jail,” meant she was above the law.

I hope they put her in a cell with a black woman.

• Haha 1

Snowflake... someone apparently is feeling pretty hurt, but "frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn."

Ah diddims.jpg

Edited by Surfer