PurpleCanary

The Never-President Trump

3 hours ago, Icecream Snow said:

I so want this to be true as well

Yes, it would be a fun move, but Biden would be far more likely to offer Obama a proper job, such as ambassador to the EU...

6 hours ago, Surfer said:

It's obvious from today's actions by Senate Leader McConnell, House Minority Leader McCarthy and Attorney General Barr, the Republican Party leadership has decided to take president-elect Joe Biden's olive branch and cremate it. 

If it is to be political warfare, so be it. Better to know now than to pretend they will ever co-operate.

In the 1850's the Whig Party split into what became the Republican Party and the No Nothings. We seem to be at that point once again. 

was a nativist political party and movement in the United States, which operated nationwide in the mid-1850s, originally starting as a secret society. It was primarily an anti-Catholic, anti-immigration, populist and xenophobic movement, The Know Nothing movement briefly emerged as a major political party in the form of the American Party. Adherents to the movement were to simply reply "I know nothing" when asked about its specifics by outsiders

Absolutely right Surfer. Which is why it is so naive to think Trumpism will just disappear. Trump and his clan will obstruct and seed division wherever they can, and while they hold a majority in the Senate they will continue to have a malign influence.

However, there are still many with a genuine commitment to the principles of democracy as is evidenced just now by the resignation of Richard Pilger Head of Election Fraud at the Department of Justice. Apparently he did so because of his disgust at Barr's politically motivated statement.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/trump-appointee-blocking-biden-administration-from-accessing-9-9m-in-transition-funds/ar-BB1aQLls?ocid=msedgntp

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/politics/trump-has-no-intention-of-offering-concession-campaign-insists/ar-BB1aQBK4?ocid=msedgntp

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/trump-campaign-advisor-shuts-down-idea-he-may-concede-that-word-is-not-in-our-vocabulary/ar-BB1aQGzM?ocid=msedgntp

Edited by horsefly
added links

On 08/11/2020 at 15:35, PurpleCanary said:

Not just a crook but an unspeakable human being, who sacrificed who knows how many tens of thousands of American lives on the altar of his pathetically narcissistic ego. Anyone else would be better, so Biden and Harris start with that advantage. How hard their job is may depend on whether the Republicans, assuming they still control the Senate, co-operate at least a bit. This may come down to individual senators, especially if the Democrats need only one or two Republican votes. Susan Collins of Maine, for one, might be willing to side with the good guys sometimes, particularly if this will be her last term, so she doesn't have to worry about being re-elected in six years' time.

Jennifer Rubin in the Washington Post has come up with a longer list  of Republican senators who might be persuaded to vote sometimes with the Democrats, and makes the point that a couple are not seeking re-election in 2022, so might be amenable  to the idea:

Rob Portman (R-Ohio), Mitt Romney (R-Utah), Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), Susan Collins (R-Maine), Richard Burr (R-N.C.) and Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) — Burr and Toomey have said they will not run for reelection in 2022.

Meanwhile there is only one person in the US who looks presidential right now, and it is not the crazed narcissist in the White House/on the golf course.

Susan Collins is all bark no bite. When push came to shove on pretty much everything she sided with Trump while pretending to be concerned about his behaviour. 

1 minute ago, king canary said:

Susan Collins is all bark no bite. When push came to shove on pretty much everything she sided with Trump while pretending to be concerned about his behaviour. 

Oh I agree. She was a self-serving coward. But she needed to get re-elected. That achieved, if this is her last term as a senator, and she will be 74 when it ends, she might be willing to side with the Democrats on some issues.

I think the Trump regime (is it an oligarchy or perhaps trying to be an absolute monarchy) has now told so many lies that they can't separate the facts from fictions. The Trump Republicans are in danger of being simply labelled as the 'Non-Democratic' party.

That so many buy into these untruths is simply a sad day for US 'democracy'.

It seems Johnson's congratulatory message to Biden was originally written for Trump and not all of the original got completely deleted, so it can be read rather like a palimpsest:

The National:

Close viewing reveals the letters “rump”, which seems to be followed by “on”, just above the word Biden. Other words revealed seem to say “the future of this” underneath the words “shared priorities”, and “...d term”, ie second term.

As that much-loved character Jimmy, played by Geoffrey Palmer might say: 'Bit of a ****-up on the cyber front.' To be filed alongside the 'Bit of a ****-up on the Four Seasons venue front.'

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

It seems Johnson's congratulatory message to Biden was originally written for Trump and not all of the original got completely deleted, so it can be read rather like a palimpsest:

The National:

Close viewing reveals the letters “rump”, which seems to be followed by “on”, just above the word Biden. Other words revealed seem to say “the future of this” underneath the words “shared priorities”, and “...d term”, ie second term.

As that much-loved character Jimmy, played by Geoffrey Palmer might say: 'Bit of a ****-up on the cyber front.' To be filed alongside the 'Bit of a ****-up on the Four Seasons venue front.'

I don't get it.   What's the joke here?

Meanwhile, more paranoia.

The @US_FDA and the Democrats didn’t want to have me get a Vaccine WIN, prior to the election, so instead it came out five days later – As I’ve said all along!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

10 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The @US_FDA and the Democrats didn’t want to have me get a Vaccine WIN, prior to the election, so instead it came out five days later – As I’ve said all along!” Trump wrote 

I'm sorry I must've missed Bidens tweet saying 'vote for me there's a vaccine next week'

When are you moving to liverpool Donny? You'll fit in fine there as it's never their fault either as they're so special.

19 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

The @US_FDA and the Democrats didn’t want to have me get a Vaccine WIN, prior to the election, so instead it came out five days later – As I’ve said all along!” Trump wrote on Twitter.

Would be interesting to know what would have happened if the vaccine results were released a week earlier.  I guess that they could have been.....

I dont think it would be made alot of difference The majority of people make up their mind way before an actual election and would those on the fence really trust Trump to get distribution of a vaccine right given how badly he's handled the rest of the covid stuff?

No doubt it would cost a fair bit under the US health system as well. 

Also last week he was saying cases were well down anyway and now he's saying he needed a vaccine? He cant have it all ways.

18 hours ago, horsefly said:

Wow! even Fox news can't tolerate the Trump lying bollox any longer:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/fox-news-cuts-away-from-mcenany-press-conference-i-can-t-in-good-countenance-continue-showing-this/ar-BB1aQsLq?ocid=msedgntp

Host Neil Cavuto cut into White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany’s opening statement saying the election was far from over.

“Whoa, whoa, whoa. I just think we have to be very clear: she's charging the other side as welcoming fraud and illegal voting, unless she has more details to back that up, I can't in good countenance continue to show you this," Cavuto said.

Perhaps if he had continued to show the clip he would have heard more details. Never mind. Not long to wait for the big reveal.

16 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

Yes, it would be a fun move, but Biden would be far more likely to offer Obama a proper job, such as ambassador to the EU...

Well Hunter is going to be next ambassador to the Ukraine.

6 hours ago, horsefly said:

US election results - live: Trump fraud claims ‘baseless’, say international observers as DOJ launches probe

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/other/why-nigel-farage-s-anti-covid-lockdown-crusade-is-a-cause-for-grave-concern/ar-BB1aRYz1?ocid=msedgdhp

Why do you post a quote that has nothing to do with the associated link?

39 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

That’s not really true ( his tweet ) the announcement came as a private announcement because the efficacy was so astonishing they had to go public. Pfizer caught up very quickly, they only moved to phase 3 in July, and he was initially referring to Moderna a US vaccine. Assuming it’s approved ( can’t see any reason why it won’t be ) there will be very few doses available ( compared to even the most needy ) being shipped to any country prior to next year. 

2 hours ago, PurpleCanary said:

The National:

You twit. No way would Johnson say he would work closely with Trump on climate change. Go and have a lie down dear boy, the excitement is getting to you.

24 minutes ago, The Raptor said:

I dont think it would be made alot of difference The majority of people make up their mind way before an actual election and would those on the fence really trust Trump to get distribution of a vaccine right given how badly he's handled the rest of the covid stuff?

No doubt it would cost a fair bit under the US health system as well. 

Also last week he was saying cases were well down anyway and now he's saying he needed a vaccine? He cant have it all ways.

I dont know about that.  For instance, by my rough calculation it would only take less that half of one percent of biden voters to be happy that day and switch to give trump Nevada, and there are other close states.

I quite like the idea that there was foreign interference after all but it wasn't Russian, it was German and it was for Biden.

21 minutes ago, Rock The Boat said:

You twit. No way would Johnson say he would work closely with Trump on climate change. Go and have a lie down dear boy, the excitement is getting to you.

Was a real error though, all be it maybe in a different context.

Earlier on Tuesday, the UK government blamed a "technical error" for a tweet from Mr Johnson congratulating Mr Biden on his US election victory which faintly showed the name "Trump" in the background.

Meanwhile, whether Boris did or didn't want Trump to win is irrelevant .... back in the real world, it's concerning but not unexpected, that senior members of the Administration and Republican Party are still harping on about Trump winning an election he clearly lost. 

Secretary of State Pompeo being the latest, joining Senate Leader McConnell, House Minority Leader McCarthy, Senators Graham and Cruz, and implicit by his continued silence, V.P. Pence. 

Pompeo.jpg

Edited by Surfer

1 hour ago, Barbe bleu said:

I dont know about that.  For instance, by my rough calculation it would only take less that half of one percent of biden voters to be happy that day and switch to give trump Nevada, and there are other close states.

I quite like the idea that there was foreign interference after all but it wasn't Russian, it was German and it was for Biden.

I quite like the notion of believing what the head of Pfizer's vaccine R&D programme said:

Dr. Kathrin Jansen said she learned of the results from the outside panel of experts shortly after 1 p.m. on Sunday (ie, five full days after the election) and that the timing was not influenced by the election. “We have always said that science is driving how we conduct ourselves — no politics,” she said.

So the timing was not in Pfizer's hands anyway but in the hands of these outside experts examining the no doubt complex test data. Once the company had  the verdict from these outside non-political experts it was announced the next working day.

• Like 3