PurpleCanary

The Never-President Trump

2 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

The real eye-opener is to consider what Trump would of been like, what democracy in the USA would of been like if he'd won given his attitude today to democracy when he loses !

That's almost too scary to contemplate.

1 hour ago, Yellow Fever said:

The real eye-opener is to consider what Trump would of been like, what democracy in the USA would of been like if he'd won given his attitude today to democracy when he loses !

I said a few months ago that I thought he would try and rip up the two term rule if he got in a second time. I watched Erdogan do it in Turkey and install himself as a de facto dictator, I've little doubt Trump would have tried to pursue a similar path.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, kick it off said:

I said a few months ago that I thought he would try and rip up the two term rule if he got in a second time. I watched Erdogan do it in Turkey and install himself as a de facto dictator, I've little doubt Trump would have tried to pursue a similar path.

He did actually say he could serve two or three more terms ("jokingly")

"You're alleging that the two individual plaintiffs were denied the right to vote. But at bottom, you're asking this court to invalidate more than 6.8 million votes, thereby disenfranchising every single voter in the Commonwealth. Could you tell me how this result could possibly be justified?"

Judge Brann's (registered Republican) response to Giuliani's (only) court appearance.

Meanwhile thousands still die each day of Covid while Trump plays golf.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, horsefly said:

He did actually say he could serve two or three more terms ("jokingly")

................of imprisonment ?

Hey Jools... who's going to release the Kraken now that Trumps legal team just fired Ms Powell? 

Powell fired.jpg

With a legal team like that it's no wonder that a lot of trump associates have ended up in prison. 🤣

Carl Bernstein names 21 Republican senators who have ‘privately’ expressed ‘extreme contempt’ for Trump (msn.com)

The journalist tweeted: “I'm not violating any pledge of journalistic confidentiality in reporting this: 21 Republican Sens–in convos w/ colleagues, staff members, lobbyists, W House aides–have repeatedly expressed extreme contempt for Trump and his fitness to be POTUS.”

He added: “The 21 GOP Senators who have privately expressed their disdain for Trump are: Portman, Alexander, Sasse, Blunt, Collins, Murkowski, Cornyn, Thune, Romney, Braun, Young, Tim Scott, Rick Scott, Rubio, Grassley, Burr, Toomey, McSally, Moran, Roberts, Shelby.

13 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

It was just fictional after all.

I think he probably meant "crackling". You know what these Gammons are like when it comes to porkies.

Is the man missing the i and h in his name crowdfunding this or is he starting a new party and you pay 25 bucks to become a member?

With Joolie Arnie on 20K an hour, his POTUS wages are wearing thin.

Meanwhile, the world is moving on from Trump.

So much for the "elect Biden / Democrats and the stock market will crash" - more BS for the gullible.

Dow.jpg

Looks like the judiciary are fairly confident of convicting Trump

they are already putting up the scaffold

A list of what's open on Inauguration Day | wusa9.com

let's hope it is a bit more dignified than a what happened to a previous fascist..... Mussolini

• Haha 1

After lunch, he appeared at the annual National Thanksgiving Turkey Pardon. Accompanied by First Lady Melania Trump, he granted clemency to Corn, the turkey, and retreated back into the executive mansion as a reporter shouted out asking whether the president could pardon himself before leaving office.

Everyone can see what is going on except the people that need to see what is going on.

• Like 1

There have been many bizarre and irrational episodes involving Trump since he became president but yesterday's may well be the  most baffling. He sudenly appeared in the White House press rom and gave a short but typically incoherent 'speech' in which he was was obviously taking credit for the Dow Jones passing 30;000 for the first time.

Except that the Dow hit that record in the wake of the news of what in effect was Trump's concession that he had lost the election and that there would be a sane man in the White House from January as opposed to an imbecilic narcissist. Not just the Dow but markets around the world are celebrating the hope now of a reasonably smooth transition and the certainty of his departure.

So now we know who the Kraken was.

Randy Quaid. The nutjob ex Hollywood actor, who wanted asylum in Canada because the dark forces that killed Heath Ledger and David Carradine were out to get him.

And the loser is tweeting everything the nutjob is posting. Kin L. Somebody close the asylum door before its too late.

I much prefer what Obama has said calmly. That Trump told White Americans they had something to be afraid of.

He forgot to mention it was

him

The Myths about Trump, the Democrats, and the Stock Markets exploded.

Stock market by President (Biden): How will Wall Street react? (etoro.com)

Market reaction to the US election

Immediately after major US news networks announced that Biden is the President-elect, Wall Street reacted positively. Markets were later boosted further by news of an effective coronavirus vaccine, but that is a separate issue. So why did markets rally after Biden was declared the winner?

Traditionally, Republicans are perceived as better for the markets and are often favoured by Wall Street. So why would they approve of a Democrat like Biden? Well, there are more reasons than one. 

Firstly, as amazingly as markets performed during President Trump’s term, reaching never-before-seen heights, they were also extremely volatile — something many long-term investors are not fond of. Moreover, COVID-19 was the most influential factor in markets this year, and Trump’s countermeasures, or lack thereof, caused many Wall Street players to fear the impact of the ongoing pandemic. Biden, on the other hand, started assembling his coronavirus task force the day after he was elected.

Another reason is that Biden is much more moderate than some of his party mates, such as Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders. Moreover, his second-in-command, VP-elect Kamala Harris is considered a friend of Wall Street. Lastly, despite losing the presidency, Republicans will most likely retain control of the US Senate, which means that any major reform will have to be approved by the party which has capitalism embroidered on its banner.

Stock market by president

Despite the above-mentioned notion that Republicans are better for Wall Street, history tells another story. Over the years, markets have performed better overall when a Democrat was in the Oval Office. The graph below demonstrates this by showing how the Dow Jones index performed under the last four Presidents.

markets-by-president.png

Source: Macrotrends.net

The performance of the Dow Jones Industrial Average is considered a gauge of the overall health of Wall Street and of the American economy. Despite reaching record heights under Trump, as the graph above shows, its gain percentage-wise was nowhere near as impressive as its performance under Democrats Obama or Clinton.