PurpleCanary

The Never-President Trump

3 hours ago, Barbe bleu said:

I don't get it.   What's the joke here?

Perhaps there isn't a joke. I probably just wanted an excuse to use the word 'palimpsest'...🤓

49 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

I quite like the notion of believing what the head of Pfizer's vaccine R&D programme said:

Dr. Kathrin Jansen said she learned of the results from the outside panel of experts shortly after 1 p.m. on Sunday (ie, five full days after the election) and that the timing was not influenced by the election. “We have always said that science is driving how we conduct ourselves — no politics,” she said.

So the timing was not in Pfizer's hands anyway but in the hands of these outside experts examining the no doubt complex test data. Once the company had  the verdict from these outside non-political experts it was announced the next working day.

Well she would say that, wouldn't she.

36 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Perhaps there isn't a joke. I probably just wanted an excuse to use the word 'palimpsest'...🤓

Is that a recycled vote  😉

No - Don't start them up again !

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

Well she would say that, wouldn't she.

You don't really believe this weak conspiracy theory do you?  Surely not. Else Trumpism must be more catching and deadly to rational thinking than I thought.

I'm with others in that I don't think whenever this good news was released it would of made any difference  - the die was cast - and anyway we also know (as does Trump now ) that loads of Democrats voted early or by mail weeks before! 

The onus on Pfizer and the scientists was not political at all but simply to release the data and win the academic kudos for being the 'first' amongst many (and help the share price). I suspect the Oxford and other vaccine are actually in exactly the same position, possibly even more advanced!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

You don't really believe this weak conspiracy theory do you?  Surely not. Else Trumpism must be more catching and deadly to rational thinking than I thought.

I'm with others in that I don't think whenever this good news was released it would of made any difference  - the die was cast - and anyway we also know (as does Trump now ) that loads of Democrats voted early or by mail weeks before! 

The onus on Pfizer and the scientists was not political at all but simply to release the data and win the academic kudos for being the 'first' amongst many (and help the share price). I suspect the Oxford and other vaccine are actually in exactly the same position, possibly even more advanced!

If you follow the vaccine thread you will see much of this in real time and is really strange as unlike the U.K. a majority would have declined the vaccine in the US. Even if anybody would have been ready before the election with their results because of the pressure Trump had put on them the vaccine in the US would probably not have been trusted. He shot himself in the foot. He also just possibly went all in on Moderna ( US vaccine ) and the reason Oxford find themselves slightly behind I believe is the length of time their trial was suspended in the US whilst Brazil, U.K. ect restarted. In addition no one could have predicted + 90% efficacy everyone was praying for 50 - 60 %. Had there not have been such high efficacy it would have been another 4 weeks before they could have released any results they never expected this when they looked at those results on Monday and although they had positive tests nobody would have known if they were vaccine or placebo. 

• Like 1

Does anyone believe Trump's refusal to leave office and his current behaviour will be his lasting legacy....the one thing that will remain in the mind? Blair's end was WMD, Cameron's will be his reckless Brexit gamble. I realise Trump's reign has many other associations. But he will be remembered as a sore loser and quite the baby. It's bizarre.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-election-2020/republicans-biden-trump-concede-b1720485.html

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Of course I dont believeit!   I'm not going to say its impossible that the academics were deliberately tardy but i'll put the likelihood at <5%.

Its a good face saving conspiracy for trump though and why shouldn't I be permitted a bit of trolling on here? I've taken enough flak for expressing a reasonable opinion that doesn't completely tow the mob line.

As to the impact of an earlier announcement i think it would have been incredibly tight. It was a wafer thin result as it is and so they would have to share the role as the counting would not  be finished until 2024.

US elections are always close because of this Electoral College structure. But Biden has a pretty wide margin of victory relatively speaking in both (what counts) Electoral College and (what does not count) total votes cast. I do agree a vaccine announcement might have made a difference, but then again so could Justice Ginsberg not dying immediately before the elections. At the end of the day you can't change what happened but it's fun to speculate.

In electoral terms it is a heavy defeat. You look at all the winning margins and they are all getting bigger every time. This is simply an attempted coup by a bunch of failed crooks. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Herman said:

In electoral terms it is a heavy defeat. You look at all the winning margins and they are all getting bigger every time. This is simply an attempted coup by a bunch of failed crooks. 

Correct. This is a coup. Plain and simple.

• Like 1

Has anyone ever known the modern Dorian Gray to be this quiet for this length of time?

He is just a nasty human being who is more worried about what happens to him after January. 

Pulling away for a moment from the good news (President-elect Biden) and the bad (Trump seemingly intent on spending his last two months doing as much damage as he can) the campaign has given us two great names of senators - Tommy Tuberville (which sounds like a character from Oklahoma!) and John Hickenlooper - and two pitch-perfect descriptions - 'shape-shifting creep' of BoJo and 'someone's crazy uncle' of Trump.

58 minutes ago, PurpleCanary said:

Pulling away for a moment from the good news (President-elect Biden) and the bad (Trump seemingly intent on spending his last two months doing as much damage as he can) the campaign has given us two great names of senators - Tommy Tuberville (which sounds like a character from Oklahoma!) and John Hickenlooper - and two pitch-perfect descriptions - 'shape-shifting creep' of BoJo and 'someone's crazy uncle' of Trump.

I loved the shape shifter remark. The commentator asked if all Democrats felt like that about Boris.

Saw this comment - chilling to have it spelt out for the USA!

"“What Donald Trump is attempting to do has a name: coup d’état,” said Timothy Snyder, a history professor at Yale University specializing in authoritarianism, on Twitter. “Poorly organized though it might seem, it is not bound to fail. It must be made to fail.

“Coups are defeated quickly or not at all. While they take place we are meant to look away, as many of us are doing. When they are complete we are powerless.”

15 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

Saw this comment - chilling to have it spelt out for the USA!

"“What Donald Trump is attempting to do has a name: coup d’état,” said Timothy Snyder, a history professor at Yale University specializing in authoritarianism, on Twitter. “Poorly organized though it might seem, it is not bound to fail. It must be made to fail.

I read the article.   He has a consistent worldview.

I am inclined from believe that Trump would be happy to push a stab in the back narrative but I also well believe that what he primarily wants from it is an excuse to leave with ego and reputation intact and not an excuse to stay.  In other words, it's not losing what the had that bothers him so much as being called a loser.

If Horselfy is reading this then ignore the above and go with "absolutely, I agree completely"

Edited by Barbe bleu

8 minutes ago, Barbe bleu said:

I read the article.   He has a consistent worldview.

I am inclined from believe that Trump would be happy to push a stab in the back narrative but I also well believe that what he primarily wants from it is an excuse to leave with ego and reputation intact and not an excuse to stay.  In other words, it's not losing what the had that bothers him so much as being called a loser.

If Horselfy is reading this then ignore the above and go with "absolutely, I agree completely"

I think we can all start to wonder as to what his true motives are but the endless list of what appears nothing more than vexatious law suits needs to stop else a true crisis will surely emerge.

11 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I think we can all start to wonder as to what his true motives are but the endless list of what appears nothing more than vexatious law suits needs to stop else a true crisis will surely emerge.

I reckon he is simply giving himself more material for the film offers and additional book offers....even more chapters that are bound to be written. Cynical I know and I'm only half joking.

17 minutes ago, Yellow Fever said:

I imagine its probably Putin trying to extract as much value as he can from him while he can - he must be really disappointed that Trumpski isn't going to get another 4 years in the job after all.

On 10/11/2020 at 20:43, PurpleCanary said:

Bravo for seizing the rare opportunity to use this word.

So, at a time when he should be facilitating the transition to a Biden administration Trump sacks anyone who might aid that process and fills the vacancies with die-hard loyalists. Hardly the actions of a man intending to fizzle away into obscurity. At best this is an attempt to sabotage a smooth transition, at worse it's an attempt to sabotage the transition altogether.  

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/downright-dangerous-democrats-alarm-as-trump-stacks-pentagon-with-loyalists/ar-BB1aUsS2?ocid=msedgntp

Extreme Republican partisans have been installed in important roles in the Pentagon, following the summary dismissal of the defense secretary, Mark Esper, at a time Donald Trump is refusing to accept his election defeat.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/mississippi-lawmaker-floats-break-up-of-union-over-biden-win/ar-BB1aVN7x?ocid=msedgntp

Republican state legislator floated the idea of breaking up the union in the wake of Joe Biden’s defeat of Donald Trump.

State representative Price Wallace took to social media to suggest that Mississippi should secede in response to the new president-elect.

Mr Wallace misspelled a tweet that Mississippi should “succeed from the union” in response to a Twitter thread from a fellow state representative, according to the Washington Post.

1 minute ago, horsefly said:

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/mississippi-lawmaker-floats-break-up-of-union-over-biden-win/ar-BB1aVN7x?ocid=msedgntp

Republican state legislator floated the idea of breaking up the union in the wake of Joe Biden’s defeat of Donald Trump.

State representative Price Wallace took to social media to suggest that Mississippi should secede in response to the new president-elect.

Mr Wallace misspelled a tweet that Mississippi should “succeed from the union” in response to a Twitter thread from a fellow state representative, according to the Washington Post.

Taking the Republican slogan of 'love it or leave it!' to new extremes I guess.

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Canary Wundaboy said:

Surely Biden can just sweep the board and re-replace these people when he's sworn in?

No doubt he will. But the worry is what damage will have been done by his his blatant slash-and-burn approach to the next 70 days.

6 minutes ago, keelansgrandad said:

I wonder if he will set fire to the oil wells?

Let's hope he just fracks off and dies