Sign in to follow this  
nevermind, neoliberalism has had it

How much tax is evaded and by what means?

In 2013 George Osborne pledged to get to grips with tax evaders, at a UK called economic summit in Norther Ireland. Since then we had the embarrassing report from the US negotiators in international; comprehensive talks to control tax evasion. They said that the UK Government has actively undermined and frustrated these talks.What a surprise then that in 2015 George does not want to talk about it anymore, its rather personal.http://www.channel4.com/news/george-osborne-family-business-6m-deal-with-offshore-firmSo, the economy is far more leaning towards tax cheats than to bother prosecuting those firms who admitted false accounting etc. But this is just a massively understaffed HMRC, and there is probably lots they are missing alltogether. They have no oversight what business is happening outside Britain, but in UK protectorates.http://leftfootforward.org/2015/02/tax-cheats-cost-far-more-than-benefits-cheats-yet-far-fewer-are-prosecuted/

''These people should have nowhere to hide'' says Osbornehttp://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/news-and-features/sectors/regulation/regulation-news/budget-osborne-to-name-and-shame-serial-tax-avoiders/2022419.articleHe''s been told to keep these criminal tax avoidance havens alive and well, its his guarantee of staying in power. The banks moved their QE money there, their back up funds they say, parked, stale money. Just about every establishment person has/ or knows someone who can help them paying taxes, that alone shafts every working person that duly pay their taxes.Much more money is bypassing the exchequer than we spent on benefits, it is they who are wrecking the economy by evading funds from the system, by effectively mothballing money.  Should we not arrest those who strike down our national social care system, are they not deliberately blind in both eyes when it comes to dealing with their friends massive tax evasions?

Maybe the owners of the largest British papers should get their editors to focus more attention on tax avoiders[;)]

Governments have said many times that certain individuals who evade tax are using loopholes in the system.

Why can't they close these loopholes?

However the whole system of how Government derives its income and how it hands out its welfare has been long overdue a fair and equal overhaul.

• Like 1

The government's much vaunted free ports will provide an ideal tax-avoidance opportunity to the unscrupulous. As ever, Tories help the rich to fleece the poor.

• Like 1

Buh is going to be all over this one. It's like the Non-football section has broken out of the basement today.

Now I've started, I can't help myself.

Why would someone set up a new account just to restart a not very popular thread on tax in a football-related forum? Just to get a few clicks? 🤔😞

2 hours ago, Nuff Said said:

Now I've started, I can't help myself.

Why would someone set up a new account just to restart a not very popular thread on tax in a football-related forum? Just to get a few clicks? 🤔😞

I'm fuelling the fire NF.

Am I evading tax, I put in my annual self assessment and got a rebate?

1 hour ago, Daz Sparks said:

I'm fuelling the fire NF.

Am I evading tax, I put in my annual self assessment and got a rebate?

Me too Daz, I did it a week ago and couldn’t quite believe the rebate I was due, so I had to give it a few days and do it again.  Finally submitted this morning.

But tax avoidance isn’t tax evasion. I got a refund because of the mileage I did using my own car. If the government want to allow me to claim tax back for the wear and tear, I’m fine claiming it. 

The Crown Estate will receive 889 million per annum for 10 years, 25% of that 177,8 million will go to the 'Royal family's sovereign fund', being banked In ???? possibly Jersey/Bahamas???? leaving 711,2 million for the Crown Estate to tax. what percentage of tax do they pay, if they pay tax?

Should the monarch be allowed to scrutinize and change tax transparency and or exclude herself from such transparency?

Just asking the tax experts above, who, even if they would know, would rather slice their tongue than talk of FAIR TAX REGIMES IN THE uk.

16 hours ago, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

The Crown Estate will receive 889 million per annum for 10 years, 25% of that 177,8 million will go to the 'Royal family's sovereign fund', being banked In ???? possibly Jersey/Bahamas???? leaving 711,2 million for the Crown Estate to tax. what percentage of tax do they pay, if they pay tax?

Should the monarch be allowed to scrutinize and change tax transparency and or exclude herself from such transparency?

Just asking the tax experts above, who, even if they would know, would rather slice their tongue than talk of FAIR TAX REGIMES IN THE uk.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/07/revealed-queen-lobbied-for-change-in-law-to-hide-her-private-wealth?CMP=share_btn_fb

This is an extremely accurate book about tax evasion and avoidance. Some of you will be surprised to know that one in three bank accounts held in tax havens are controlled by a UK resident or corporation. It is the one activity in which we truly excel and now we have Brexit the UK will be able to avoid new EU anti corruption legislation 

https://www.waterstones.com/book/treasure-islands/nicholas-shaxson/9780099541721

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, dylanisabaddog said:

This is an extremely accurate book about tax evasion and avoidance. Some of you will be surprised to know that one in three bank accounts held in tax havens are controlled by a UK resident or corporation. It is the one activity in which we truly excel and now we have Brexit the UK will be able to avoid new EU anti corruption legislation 

https://www.waterstones.com/book/treasure-islands/nicholas-shaxson/9780099541721

You might like this as well. Good readable book but it will annoy you.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/who-owns-england/guy-shrubsole/9780008321710

7 minutes ago, Herman said:

You might like this as well. Good readable book but it will annoy you.

https://www.waterstones.com/book/who-owns-england/guy-shrubsole/9780008321710

I'll give it a go when I am feeling calm. 

I heard a report on the subject on Radio 5 recently. Last summer a group were being guided round Blickling Hall. One of the guests asked the guide who had built it and where they got their money. 

"Slavery and state sponsored piracy" said a passing man. The guide asked him not to be rude and he replied "I'll be as rude as I like, it was my family". 

Until I heard that I'd never really wondered abo how we got where we are today as a nation. Perhaps it's something best left in the past? 

• Like 1

On 23/07/2015 at 14:17, nevermind, neoliberalism has had it said:

In 2013 George Osborne pledged to get to grips with tax evaders, at a UK called economic summit in Norther Ireland. Since then we had the embarrassing report from the US negotiators in international; comprehensive talks to control tax evasion. They said that the UK Government has actively undermined and frustrated these talks.What a surprise then that in 2015 George does not want to talk about it anymore, its rather personal.http://www.channel4.com/news/george-osborne-family-business-6m-deal-with-offshore-firmSo, the economy is far more leaning towards tax cheats than to bother prosecuting those firms who admitted false accounting etc. But this is just a massively understaffed HMRC, and there is probably lots they are missing alltogether. They have no oversight what business is happening outside Britain, but in UK protectorates.http://leftfootforward.org/2015/02/tax-cheats-cost-far-more-than-benefits-cheats-yet-far-fewer-are-prosecuted/

''These people should have nowhere to hide'' says Osbornehttp://www.mortgagestrategy.co.uk/news-and-features/sectors/regulation/regulation-news/budget-osborne-to-name-and-shame-serial-tax-avoiders/2022419.articleHe''s been told to keep these criminal tax avoidance havens alive and well, its his guarantee of staying in power. The banks moved their QE money there, their back up funds they say, parked, stale money. Just about every establishment person has/ or knows someone who can help them paying taxes, that alone shafts every working person that duly pay their taxes.Much more money is bypassing the exchequer than we spent on benefits, it is they who are wrecking the economy by evading funds from the system, by effectively mothballing money.  Should we not arrest those who strike down our national social care system, are they not deliberately blind in both eyes when it comes to dealing with their friends massive tax evasions?

The answer to your question is that if our top 100 companies were unable to take advantage of tax avoidance schemes we wouldn't have a deficit (post Covid). And if Apple, Amazon, Google, Ebay and various other American corporations paid anywhere near what they should we would be laughing. But they won't. The EU has now introduced anti corruption legislation and as we are no longer a member they are expected to go after the British protectorates (Jersey, BVI etc) quite soon. Our corporations will carry on taking advantage and the Government hopes that will result in companies moving here. I might be proved wrong but that looks unlikely. The EU now looks on the UK like a leper colony. 

• Like 2

Another excellent book on the corruption endemic to our political system is Martin Williams' "Parliament Ltd". Warning: read with caution if you are prone to high blood pressure and rage.

• Like 1

those familiar with Roberto Saviano's life thretening journalism might have already read this book. Roberto in his book

Piranhas {2018). ISBN 978-0374230029

calls London the most corrupt City in the world. Going by the few book suggestions here, it is an issue that matters to all. Bypassing the exchequer is antisocial and selfish to say the least. The Uruguay and Doha trade rounds must be repealed and companies that want to sell or advertise here, provide services and goods, should pay taxes here according to HMRC's rules. Those that litter the High street to profit and run, who are taxed in Luxemburg, Switzerland, Jersey or the Turks and Caicos should be shown the door.

but these issues are not main news, even the propaganda broadcaster BBC tax advises its high earners on how to pay less elsewhere.