Sign in to follow this  
mrs miggins

universally terrible bands

I was thinking of bands that practically no one likes, even if their music is not too bad, most of the world still hate them.

Of course theres the truly awful pop stuff; Bieber, Cyrus and all that jazz but

I was thinking :

yes

coldplay

4 non blondes (yes...for that song)

wings

U2 (everyone knows Bono is a turd)

Razorlight

Nickleback or Nickelback ?(2nd one)

Anything by Yoko Ono

Marilyn Manson

My Chemical Romance

Oasis

Green Day

Barry Manilow

Rod Stewart

Kanye West

Simply (cr@p) red

Maroon 5

The Darkness (from Norfolk)

Lost Prophets (for obvious reasons)

James Blunt

Anyone else?

It''s all about taste, and a lot of bands I dislike sell by the bucket load, so maybe I am in the wrong. Saying that.....

Ocean bloody Colour Scene.

I don''t particularly like any of them apart from Greenday but don''t think a lot of them are "Universally terrible" or bands that nobody likes-Coldplay, U2, Oasis-some of the biggest selling bands in the world!

Exactly Mr Angry.

Basically Miggins has just complied a list of mostly pretty popular bands because he doesn''t like them.

There are lots of other people who don''t like them. But still, its a pretty funny list and always makes me laugh when I see someone do something like this.

I can''t agree with Yes (there had to be something pre-punk to listen to) or Green Day, even Oasis have some redeeming features.

However, I give you Keane and our own Ed Sheeran.

Oasis are great, really were the band of my youth and I still listen to them and it takes me back to college and university.

Green Day are okay at times but I absolutely agree about the likes of U2, the most overrated band of all time - only good for hold music.

Gingerpele wrote the following post at 22/04/2014 6:47 PM:

Exactly Mr Angry.

Basically Miggins has just complied a list of mostly pretty popular bands because he doesn''t like them.

There are lots of other people who don''t like them. But still, its a pretty funny list and always makes me laugh when I see someone do something like this.

-------------------------------------------

TBH thats not true at all GP. Ilike a lot of Oasis stuff (mostly early stuff, despite copying the Beatles and Stone Roses to an almost embarrassing degree). I have seen coldplay (although not a fan of most of their stuff, the ''clocks'' album I very much enjoyed. Furthermore, I own every Green Day record except a full version of Kerplunk (a have a few tracks from it on vinyl) and the 21st Century Breakdown. I own all their albums from the 1990''s by them, and I think they''re great (the 1990''s album that is, not the recent boy band stuff the have seemed to churn out after ''Warning''.

I think what the title should have been is ''Universally Hated Bands'' as it alludes to the fact that despite having a large amount of success, most of the public dislike, or feel uneasy about them, or even liking that band. (I realise some of you may disagree).

But take Green Day for example. In 1989 when they were young and just starting, they played at Gilman St (some of you may have heard it I''''m sure, its the most famous punk venue since CBGB''s). The whole ethos there was to do everything yourself and be independent yadaa yadaa yadda. So anyways, once Green Day signed to a major label the year after to make ''Dookie,'' most of the hardcore punk fans that had previously liked them at that time, turned their backs on them (although I find this kind of ridiculous in a way because the records to come later were phenomenal, but I guess its a matter of principle). After making a huge imprint in the music seen for Punk in the 90''s, at the time of Warning, things dried up, but they always had the ethos of playing what they wanted to play and doing what they wanted to do and this included signing to a major label, its no big deal. After the ''Warning'' record, they made another album which they had worked on a long time for as their popularity was seriously dwindling. Yet at the time they wanted to release the record, their label jumped in and said the record wasn''t good enough and now every single track and even demo tape was magically lost or burned. From then on, all album sessions would be supervised. And thus you have American Idiot; the most whiny, boring ''punk'' album you''ll ever hear.

Billie Joe speech on accepting an award for the album; "Its just great that rock n roll can still be dangerous"

- Yeah right, give me a break.

---

I think another good example would be the Sex Pistols. ''Never Mind..''..is a fantastic album (''submission'' being a personal favourite). John Lydon was all for having the moral high ground, all through the 70'' 80'' and 90''s he had inspiring lyrics with PIL (although I don''t care for their later stuff so much). He said he would never give in to the temptation of money and he''s always said ''Words are my Weapons,'' never condoning violence. Now in the last 10-15 years he''s contradicted himself to such a large amount, its tarnished the way in which people see him. He''s a joke now. Every interview he does, he''s either demoralising women and telling them ''don''t talk to a man when he''s speaking luv,'' or he''s money grabbing from a TV commercial that he never said he would do as he wouldn''t be able to live with himself if he did. Yet for someone (Lydon) who says ''well, you may not like like the Pistols, but at least I''m damn honest'' (in every interview), he isn''t half dishonest. So when he''s not jumping about promoting butter, what does he do? He does the one thing that put the feather on the camels back. He reforms the Sex Pistols...although at least he admits its for the money, yet it really is hard not to.

(also I don''t mind ''The Joshua Tree'' by U2, but lets face it; they are a bit $hit?)

This thread would have been better called:

Extremely successful bands who have a huge loyal fan base but quite honestly I don''t see what all the fuss is about.

Although I do see where OP is coming from.

The intention for the thread wasn''t really meant to be about individual opinion, it was more about bands that are successful, yet at the same time are disliked (usually through the lead singer). U2 being a prime example. I thought most people perhaps don''t mind the music, but because most (i would like to say everyone but thats not true) people think he''s vile, it has tainted the way U2 are seen in the public eye.

However, I kind of should''ve known that this thread was never going to go well on such a subjective matter....I genuinely thought most people hate Yes because of wakemans solos, but perhaps i''m being influenced by my own thoughts and the thoughts from people that I know, instead of general public opinion?

I honestly don''t know what Bono has done to make a fair amount of people dislike him... All I really know is the music and I like that.

Sure if you get someone in a band who''s a complete and utter (insert your insult here) then a lot of people will be out off. But for me to even consider ''disliking'' a band because of something like that it has to be pretty bad. Like the horrible Lost Prpphets guy, used to absolutely love listening to their music but it makes me ashamed to even admit that now because of what a vile person he is.

But when you get a band like Coldplay it does just seem quite fashionable to dislike them. I love them in general, although the new single was quite boring.

Agreed GP. It''s the music that does it for me, some of U2''s early (ier) stuff (intros to ''Desire'' and ''Streets have No Name'', right up there) especially, floats my boat, and although not a massive fan of Coldplay, Clocks gets the adrenaline going.

There''s no hiding from the fact that Bono''s ego has taken him to places that the ordinary bank worker/supermarket shelf stacker would never get to, but, for me, some of the records (!!) are great

[quote user="FenwayFrank"]Status Quo ( apart from Caroline )[/quote]

Best shout so far i think

rockin all over the world has to be one of the worst songs ever invented by a band and is the reason, despite the success of it, for why most cringe at the very name

Posted this before somewhere, between top of the poppers and money making machine Status Quo were the most incredible rock/blues band. Saw them many times in the early seventies, check out "dog of two head" album. Now imagine "someone`s learning" in a packed pub venue at a ballistic volume, quo were very unfashionable at the time but they stuck with it and deserve their success. Mind you I agree with the people who say they should have packed in in years ago.

I wanna cut francis rossi''s pony tail off and shove it down his throat, not just to shut him up, but to suffocate the bu99er. Rockin all over the world...forever...unfortunately.

Anyways. the worst band this year goes to... ''FUN'' ...just woeful

Agree with the above posts, why don`t these bands pack up at the top?

Check out `rival sons`. The crossroads festival is an hour or so of good rock/blues.

If Kasabian carry on the way they are going they will be joining this list.[+o(]

SM were one of my worst concerts of all time. A fast song followed by a slow song followed by a fast song and so on for a couple of hours. A poor set list.

Loom bands are indeed terrible, perhaps we should encourage people to pi$$ all over anyone who wears them :-)