Sign in to follow this  
hexem

Nothing Much.

cje49 youtube Some may remember an old EDP thread. A link was posted to a youtube account. cje49This goes back to 2007 ish. Cine films from 1950 Iraq, PNG and stuff.It had been transferred to video in about 1985,then I moved it to digital in 2002ishI faffed around and posted 10 minute bits on youtube.     Stuff me....I am to be in a museum. The content I posted years ago is to be part of a Kurdistan Memory Programme.Gingerpele -keep the faith -one day your films will hit the mark...I have just signed a contract allowing the films to be remastered. They liked us. Don''t let nevermind know. He can''t defend the bath party..One up to the Assyrians,and the Hittites.ce

Crikey Hex, I read you in a museum bit and thought of Jeremy Bentham. Now that would be something to see.

Stuffed or pickled in a pub nearby UCL. Shrimper.I potter on. I will this summer try and fix a visit to your part of Norfolk. Most of the time I am looking out for broads!Christopher

Just watched your video from Dali''s home town. Would a British woman look that glamourous, sitting on a beach, nowadays?

Good choice of music by the way.

Shrimper.Don''t mention the rally altered Sunbeam Rapier bought from Sheila Van Damme.She lived nearby in Newbury.  http://www.britishpathe.com/video/sheila-van-dammThe nightmare of mother using the A4 as a private race track is with me still.It was a 3 lane road.  1 lane for going, 1 for coming back, and the middle was for ladies who drove fast. Thanks Herman. "What to wear on the beach?"High heels and a cigarette, a dame before her time obviously.hex

Yes indeed,shrimper.You old pirate..ripping off stills from my youtube and posting them back.Honestly.It has been interesting to look back at the old cine.Stuff, we as kids, tried to avoid."Oh no,Dad has got the projector out". I wish I had paid more attention to the commentary.Looking at how natural the filming of local scenes in Papua,Iraq & Abu Dhabi is remarkable really.I bunged the clips on youtube almost a decade ago and have rarely looked at them since.I get comments every so often that I reply to. But the new interest in Kurdistan cines had me looking back at the filming more critically.It will be interesting to see how others make use of the footage.www.kurdmemory.comand the film makers.www.rwfworld.comhex

Great stuff. I hope we will be able to see the remastered footage. Any idea when?

Horrendous story of the poor lady giving birth in the cold wet desert.

Thanks for the links to the footage hexem, some awesome pictures, it will take me a few days to watch. halabja was a war crime and those who granted Saddam a massive 680 million dollar loan within 48hrs. of it are as guilty as those who provided the precursors for his chemical weapons, if I remember rightly it was Germany.But what do we say of the Matrix Churchill affair these days when Iraq is in anopther cycle of election violence? AQnd who is looking after Iraqi''s children today when violence is all around them?don''t know whether you heard of this charity by Mark Golding, the pictures are harrowing, be prepared.http://www.coia.org.uk/

nevermind.... please do not post political stuff in this thread. I know it is hex''s thread and it is up to him to say but I am just adding my twopenneth. We could really do without it in Nothing Much as the old rules decreed.

Shrimper.Thanks old chum.I have a strange giving nature, As seen in "KiKi goes to Khanaqin " I had a charmed childhood.Apart from spiders,lizards,scorpions ...& heat,Thanks for the Iraq leaflet nevermind. I have just donated a wodge to help get an Iranian woman out of a refugee camp in Iraq.It seems £1,000.00 is the payment required to allow freedom to an intellectual woman incarcerated by Iraq.Paperwork it would seem has costs. Am I being wicked to suggest that it seems like Kindertransport.I feel strongly for women.I can do cutnpaste and links a-plenty. But it''s a nice day.hex

Keeping politics out of the Kurdish interest has been part of my contract with the film makers.Which they seem happy to cope with.When I first started posting in 2007  I was worried that there would be a juvenile web backlash. Everyone hates the British etc.None whatsoever. The UK expats seemed to have been welcomed as a golden period of that time.I can see from the demographic bits on the account that there are folk from all corners of the known universe peeking.The present interest arose last December. Gwynne Roberts was in an armed convoy to visit folk in Naft Khane.(Naft=oil=fire=naphtha)-(anyway there were big guns on the trucks).Sipping mint tea,puffing on a pipe in a downtown cafe, he was handed a DVD of my stuff. "Have you seen this?"No wonder my viewing figures slumped with all the pirate copies.It is all a gory mix. The Assyrians hate the Kurds,Iraqis hate the Kurds, Turks hate the Kurds.And in what is presently known as a Kurdish part of Iraq.... the kurds hate the kurds. Hence the .50cal weaponry on minor roads.I am invited to Erbil .Lufthansa does a daily flight to Khanaqin.    Maybe next yearhex

Rather a lot... nothin'' much... melting pot.... Mess potWhatever.Nevermind, There is so much to learn. I have just this afternoon looked up Mespot, and a new website has appeared which I have yet to explore.   http://www.mespot.net/  Gertrude Bell is mentioned as a spy. I know there was a connection between her,  T.E.Lawrence and the archeologist husband of Agatha Christie. At one stage their "digs" in Persia were being used to monitor nuclear weaponry in the USSR.Iraq was known as Southern Turkey. There is another website dedicated to Daisy Dukes, a cigarette heiress that has a Bartholomews  map of the middle east from about 1935. It shows her routes to shop for artefacts for a new home that was being built.The map has an interesting index of seaplane landing stages. Basra being one of them.Pop  flew from Southampton to Marseilles,Naples,Alexandria,Haifa,Basra, and then by DH Rapide to northern Iraq.That was 1938. He never really came back to England.Seeing the sea and sunshine at Marseilles cured him of Yorkshire for good.He was a sort of spy too, working for the RAF wireless intercepts in N.Africa after landings of "Torch".I ramble.hex

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/66/666/Jeremy_Bentham/Bloomsbury.Yes shrimper. I spent some hours in the area during 2008/9 . Never really liked this one.I preferred the Grafton which wasn''t much better.The worst thing is that all were full of medics.And worst of all "smoking at the hospital door".Past timeshex

My one contribution on the subject of old film of relatives in the desert. During the war my father was in the REME based mostly in Egypt and Libya. While there he was asked to join something called the long range desert group , which went onto become the SAS. He had two talents they wanted , he was an experienced parachutist and before the war he drove lorries and was an expert at fixing broken down trucks with whatever materials were at hand. And he is on film ! In the TV series Gladiators of War 2 he appears in the episode on the SAS. To be precise he appears at exactly 30 minutes and two seconds in. In the short colour section he is the man on the right of the group of three , holding what looks like a loud hailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgSvD9ppQMQ

That was a brilliant link Larson. The megaphone did seem odd. Nevertheless Robert Powell did the clips credit.Interestingly at the end of the documentary the unknown wars of the end of empire were shown.A neighbour in Norfolk. He was/still is a surgeon and was an Army Medic in Oman. He was involved with the battle there.There is so much stuff we don''t know out there. hex

Great piece of family history Larson. Thanks for showing. You must be very proud. My son has now retired from the military and has emigrated to the Australian gold coast. The memory of him that will last forever will be of a Chinook helicopter circling my house at about 600ft and him hanging out of the door waving to me. As a matter of fact they may have flown over Hex''s gaff on the way to the battle area.

Yes,Shrimper helicopters are a pesky part of life these days. I don''t mean military ones that approach at 00.01 shake the tiles off and are gone in 5 minutes.Those are the Lakenheath boys, & Swanton Morley Apache training flights,they don''t go overhead during daytime and seem to follow the roads at hedgetop level. so you can''t see them. The sound is there though. Military is fine by me.Police helicopters are The new nuisance,everyday, in my neck of the London woods, there is a hovering hornet.Arsenal I guess is a time when cameras can identify large groups of faces so I can accept that.Although civil liberties folk take issue.Older bro lives in Twickenham and there is a police helicopter training unit nearby.They go up at night and he is completely blasted by mega candlepower lights they use to track ne''ere do wells over hedges. And I resent them hovering over ta motorway when I am speeding.I am thinking of investing in one of those new hovering camera platform things. It seems quite cool.Having said that I was rubbish with a petrol engined Spitfire on strings I nagged parents for. First flight was the last.So maybe not.It might not be a bad idea though. I am less mobile with ladders and things than I used to be and a quick look at my rooftopfor problems would save on a fall and a spell in plaster.hex

Cje49,

I thought I would flesh

out some of the recent history..I started editing about

3 hours of VHS into stories.

I used Pinnacle Studio.It came bundled with a

DVD writer. Firstly I posted aviation themed bits.Then Papua New Guinea

and finally the Kurdish,which was in fact the earliest cine.

Here is a link to a

Civil Engineer from Erbil, Kurdistan. Judging from Facebook he is

busy re-building bridges

that the British built long ago........Ali Alwandy is about my age,

and grew up in the same refinery town,(bit of “The boss”

there) he picked up on my films and asked to embed them. I think he

did a good job. Before “Anfal” was the Arabization of areas.

Marsh dwellers and

Kurds (North and South). Overnight whole towns were shipped out of

areas and in his case had to rebuild lives far from home. The town

was demolished and only mounds remain. The refinery

was destroyed during the ''77 warfare.There is still a vast

wealth of bubblin''crude. Hence the ever present tensions.

http://alwandy.110mb.com/index.html   hex

The old cine has been collected.NOTHING MUCH to reportI just like to be top of the page.

Just thought i''d bump your thread.

Any good exhibitions in the smoke coming up? Got the Veronese one lined up, if I can scrape together the £17 entrance[:O].

Richard Hamilton at the Tate is very good. Don''t be put off by the first room.

England got walloped by the Dutch today in the cricket, this is what happens when proper apparel is ditched in favour of overalls. Lets have some standards please !

Bemused as always JB.Was it girly cricket.In my time I was a wicked outswinger.There was a chap who did the rubbing for me.hex

Good afternoon young Christopher, I do actually feel quite strongly about this {I don`t get out as much as I would like}. What next, Trevor Pinnock conducting in dungarees?

I am always kind and all that.As may have been well known.Are you an old dog? Resurrected.Christopher.

I don''t know how you post Bukuru, I have been banned so often I can''t remember how to log in again.hex