Sign in to follow this  
Stig

Edward Snowden and what he means for us

So, at the risk of having to go to exile from Pink''un - I''m bringing my political side in for a chat. Hopefully you are all aware of the PRISM, NSA and just general spying on the public issue. It should come as no surprise to anyone, really - other than the fact that it is the US Government spying on us, which in turn is enabling our government to follow suit. Now, over on my blog I''ve made a few posts if you would care to catch up on the issues:
You can watch the interview with Edward Snowden if you haven''t already done so. However, I''ve not come here to advertise my blog - I''m actually here to ask for your help. As my posts suggest, I''m angry over this matter and I''m trying to get other people behind me. On the popular site Reddit, there is a movement starting called "Restore the fourth" where they plan to protest peacefully on the matter, helping bring awareness to more people - and if I were American I would be more than a part of it. To my despair, the anger from Britain doesn''t seem to be there - and I would like to bring to more peoples attention everywhere I can that this issue is a problem for us as well. If you don''t care, I would warn you against that stance because it''s apathy that has brought us here in the first place.
My email is ccooke1992@hotmail.co.uk and I''m asking anyone that shares my anger to get in contact, contact friends who may think similarly and let''s put our heads together and form a voice loud enough for all to hear. I am willing to donate time and money to this cause, I implore anyone even remotely interested to do something different today and help me.
Thank you for your time,
Connor

Right on Connor, the issue you are raising is monumental in its implications. We all knew spying was going on for decades amongst states and industry.What we did not know is that in the wake of the 911 attacks and subsequent declaration of a self perpetuating war on terrorism, we all would be targeted by these control freaks.Their drive to control and secure as many fossil fuels and ensure that they are traded in petrodollar and nothing else, because anything else would mean loosing control over one''s economy, has created war and strife. The mantle of secularism is thrown over it all to make out its a religious strife.My advice is to get secure communication systems like TOR, or Debian and start encrypting our private email. It is indeed apathy that has allowed globalisation to occur, equally the control over the internet which seems to come down to two companies holding vital strings, Narus and Verint. The revellations has placed us half way through George Orwells 1984 and the outrage is global.I recommend a blog where all this is regularly discussed with many people knowing far more than I do.http://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2013/06/lack-of-intelligence/

[quote user="nevermind"] The mantle of secularism is thrown over it all to make out its a religious strife.

[/quote]

There IS strife between the sunnis and shia and its happened for years and years and years......its nothing new.

The Sunnis I have spoken with dont regard the Shia as true muslims.

[quote user="Tangible Fixed Assets anyone"]

[quote user="nevermind"]

My advice is to get secure communication systems like TOR, or Debian and start encrypting our private email. [/quote]

Thats hilarious, they can decrypt anything you can get your hands on!

[/quote]Although technically correct in stating that "they" can decrypt anything, I should point out that the resources required to decrypt some of the stronger algorithms are mind boggling and can be measured in terms of "all the computing power on earth at the moment times one hundred years and upwards".I''ve ported a straightforward 256 bit AES Rjindael algorithm into a format which can POST encrypted data between actionscript and php as part of a web application I''m writing (a captcha). Although security is important the level of security afforded by what is really a very simple process is ridiculous with a massive 11,579,209,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 different possible key combinations.The Worlds most powerful computer Tianhe-2 has attained a speed of 54 Petaflops (54,000,000,000,000,000).Divide one by the other you get 2.144297E +60 seconds or 6.8 with 52 zeros after it years for the Worlds most powerful computer to crack a script I wrote as an experiment.Yes in theory they can crack but in practice they can''t and they knew this would be a problem back in the 40 bit IE 4.0 days so before we were permitted access to 128 bit encryption in our browsers and banking they drew up the RIP 2000 Bill which creates offences out of failing to provide encryption/decryption keys to authorities upon request.

My point is that if we all send each other encrypted emails, which, by the looks of their filters will end up in their rapidly increasing inbox as ''to do'', I guess it would take roughly a week to find out that you will be bringing a cake and some biscuits.Encryting all that is trivia will so much enlighten their daily lives that they will soon question their own activities, a subversive means to undermine moral.meanwhile the Government does not want to be outdone, its walls are up but they can''t stop people sharing information any longer.http://www.wsws.org/en/articles/2013/06/21/cens-j21.html

A little thing called personal freedom. A private life without the government snooping over everything you do. Not that it''s that possible nowadays.

That''s a laugh. Your country is under government video surveillance, and who''s to say you don''t have a similar communication surveillance system?

However, if you put your faith in government and aren''t talking about committing acts of terrorism, you can trust that you aren''t being listened in on.

[quote user="Joanna Grey"]Seems like a lot of fuss over nothing unless you are planning an act of terrorism or suchlike what are you worried about?[/quote]These are breaches of our fundamental human rights in particular those afforded in sec 8 HRA 1998. Do you think it''s okay then that successive Governments can erode our most basic of rights with impunity, did you buy the whole war on terror package or just the budget version? This I''m not a terrorist it doesn''t bother me if the police look through my knicker drawer attitude must have come from somewhere...

However, if you put your faith in government and aren''t talking about

committing acts of terrorism, you can trust that you aren''t being

listened in on.

Another cracking quote from our nonsensical Texan, what a load of spin. Fact is that if you put your faith in Government you get exactly what you deserve, cheating defrauding banks, ponzi banking by the federal reserves, manipulations of stockmarkets and currency wars, lies at the doorstep and self serving. Today the German Government spoke out and demanded to know from GCHQ as to what extend they have been spying on personal private data across Europe. http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/22/gchq-spying-catastrophe-german-politicansFurther to this, and with much stealth, the beginning of next month will see the new stealth NHS file and data sharing agreement become reality.This is a sample quote from the new regulatory framework about the liberation of our personal medical data to global third parties who do not have to ask us to use this data. These companies include Google, implicated in the NSA spying revelations. “Under this proposal, everyone’s NHS medical records and genomes [ie.

their individual DNA profile] will be shared with companies such as

Google without people’s knowledge or consent. Data-sharing will be

global…”http://www.genewatch.org/uploads/f03c6d66a9b354535738483c1c3d49e4/DNAinNHS_GWbriefing_fin.pdf

He has reportedly left Hong Kong and is heading for Moscow. The US wont be getting their hands on him for a while.

He has been offered a place In Iceland, but Ms Gudrunsdottir says its currently not politically supported, so he might stay in Russia for a bit, who knows what else he might leak, it was said that his first revellations were carefully chosen, a selection of more to come.His revelations of personal spying and the extent of it, just as the reaction to it by the US administration, makes it pretty clear to people that there is an overriding agenda to control us by knowing what we are doing, regardless what it is. That is not acceptable and this floss '' if you don''t do anything wrong you have nothing to hide'' BS does not wash anymore. Who of us has ever given anybody permission to do as they like with personally entrusted data? who has sold us a computer, saying that it is guaranteed to let others know what you are up to, what you look at and what your emails contain? Which server has asked our permission to inform other, parties unknown to us, of every move we make?The more people encrypt their messages and use a Linux/TOR operating system the better. At least then they have to work at it...:)Here is an interview with radio Russia, apparently Ecuador is also in the running as a possible new abode for Snowden.http://english.ruvr.ru/2013_06_23/WikiLeaks-Assange-Snowden-and-all-of-us-are-winning-Hrafnsson-9756/

If you are not planning terrorist or other criminal activities, there is no way the govt. is wasting time listening in on your communications. It is nonsensical to think otherwise although I''m sure it gives you a misguided feeling of self-importance to think they are.

[quote user="Herman "]Ecuador it is then.[/quote]

Oh yes a country with a superb human rights record ,who would have thought that the security services might spy on their own people ,shock horror !! and how dare they spy on foreign countries !! because no one spies on us ,especially the Russians and the Chinese ,they are purer than the driven snow .

[quote user="Herman "]Ecuador it is then.[/quote]

Oh yes a country with a superb human rights record ,who would have thought that the security services might spy on their own people ,shock horror !! and how dare they spy on foreign countries !! because no one spies on us ,especially the Russians and the Chinese ,they are purer than the driven snow .

I was quite shocked at the level of state sponsored espionage and sabotage that certain countries get away with. I get pissed off if I''m unlucky enough to get a virus on my computer and would gladly wield the birch across the back of the criminals that did it so I am amazed that declarations of war have not been made over international cyber-crimes.

"walkern canary"

Herman "Ecuador it is then.

Nobody is surprised that governments spy on each other. They have been at it since the dawn of time. It''s the extent of their spying on ordinary citizens which is worrying.

I might be missing something Houston (I normally am), but doesn’t he talk of the “abuse of power” If it was as simple as you’re putting it, why has he chosen to speak out?

This is beyond me, but how does this work? Are government’s only looking for key words like “bomb”? I know the majority of terrorists are dim but, surely in their training manual, certain things are probably avoided so that begs the question how wide’s the scope that governments are using this?

I hope you agree that in order for “our protection” governments have to look at hundreds of thousands of correspondences to filter out who causes a threat?

Personally I think this is immoral, it’s the equivalent of rounding up 500 black guys for one crime and saying “well one of you must have done it”.

Surely what’s being done goes outside of democracy. Which I know is something you support.

If you support the government in these actions, what do you think is his motive?

The US is worried indeed as they yet have to find out how much information Edward Snowden scooped from this publicly subsidised spying operation, but rest assured other nations are asking vexing questions as to the deliberations of our self serving power addicts.http://www.hindustantimes.com/world-news/Americas/US-officials-don-t-know-how-much-secret-material-Snowden-took/Article1-1082023.aspxThe Tempora program and its sovereignty busting extent is being questioned around the worldhttp://www.dw.de/snowden-elusive-germany-queries-britains-tempora-tapping-program/a-16903217

Bill, I am not a fan of big govt.and my "if you trust your govt." comment was directed at he whose suggestions sound like communism.

In our govt, spying programs don''t strike fear in me because I''m not egotistical enough to think they are spying on me. If they wanted to they could but they have much bigger problems to solve. It''s not like this is E Germany and half.the country spies on the other half.

The program has broken up many plots. How it works, I don''t know but it seems to be effective. I know I''m not being Spied on. Nondescript paranoid fools think they are and so do terrorists. If I was high profile I might be checked out but I''m not. Nobody on here is, most likely.

As for democracy, simply put the govt reflects the will of the people, and if it doesn''t, it gets replaced. We''ll see in 3 years.

So nevermind wants to send people who speak for the other side sent to Guanranamo? His endless list has 2, and both are not hate camps.

So where is Snowden now ? do the Russians have him ? I hope the FSB are respecting his human rights ,unless the Chinese have started to use him as an organ donor .

No he''s sitting in the transit area of Moscow airport, apparently.Meanwhile the western powers, fearing their own people will find out the extend of cover up and false information provided, the extend of spying on us all, and fearing the backlash of this reality.http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68225000/jpg/_68225654_68225653.jpgHouston canary or myself are no terrorists and they want to make out that it is only terrorist that they spy on, but its not true, they spy on congressmen and senators and milk men and gate keepers of all sorts, blanket spying regardless of value, according to Mr. Binney, a whistle blower who co designed the NSA spy system, it is a sheer amassing of information, as much as there is, skype,FB,Iphone,Ipads,PC''s, email, the whole lot.GCHQ for years has run a program called Tempora collecting all sorts of personal data, of us and that of residents in other countries.Now US rulers fear their own people and so do ours, their financial systems are shot to .... and they are about to attack Syria which will have disastrous consequences. Putin and Obama are ignorant of each other as can be read from this photohttp://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/68225000/jpg/_68225654_68225653.jpgSo what is there to stop, the poor mites can''t see a way out without loosing their top spot. They know Russia is run by an oligarch elite and some Mafiosi''s who all value their off shore accounts, but to assume that they will sit by and watch, as the west is dismantling Syria into the now well know chaos we have spread in Iraq and Libya, is utter madness.Now this is a resume from ''stormcloudsgathering'', it looks at how the story of Edward Snowden has been reported and what reasons could possibly lie behind the fear of our leaders.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7PxEuYUUMJIdigest.

Putin has just said NO to Obama''s request to hand Snowden over, oh dear.http://bigstory.ap.org/article/nsa-leakers-global-flight-appears-stalled-nowbut then there are those who claim that he would land in Norway on his way to Iceland...... ehem, last night.http://www.tnp.no/norway/panorama/3802-pirate-party-norway-snowden-passed-through-norway-to-iceland

I have been thinking about all this Big Brother malarky and have come to the conclusion that it''s a good thing.

I believe that everyone should be micro-chipped as it has huge advantages;

If you are in an accident and have no ID on you the paramedics just need to scan your microchip to retrieve your medical details from the NHS database.

If the microchips are linked into Satellite trackers crime would be reduced overnight and all those illegal immigrants would not be able to move without being rounded up and deported.

I don''t know why the Government does not push ahead with this technology, as a law-abiding citizen I''m all for it.

Ecuador to offer the USA $23 million in aid to help with human rights training. Brilliant!

I am just wondering ,if this was the second world war nad Snowden had been working for the OSS and decided to leak secrets out ,do you think there would have been this much fuss ? imagine if he had let the plans of operation overlord out because he was concerned of the human rights issues involving the shelling of French beaches .