Sign in to follow this  
Warren Hill

Maggie: What would be an apt tribute?

With the Iron Lady passing, there is bound to be some sort of acknowledgement at football grounds around the country. How would you mark the occasion? Silence? Applause? Free milk to season ticket holders? Ban ourselves from European Football for a year?

I reckon that silence will be the general call. Any thoughts?

I think we should have a minutes sil..........

Joking!

Perhaps we should put the fences back up and treat all fans like animals for a weekend. I think that would be fitting. Especially if some of the innocents die..

I don''t think they could do a silence as it wouldn''t be observed. I certainly wouldn''t observe a silence for her. By doing the applause you give someone the option of whether they partake in a less offensive manner. Would be funny if they opted for an applause and it was met with a resounding silence.

Ding dong...

Ok, just kidding. But as you can tell, as a ordinary man and a football fan, I wasn''t her biggest fan. No silence for me.

Two great events for me deserve respect. Her leadership during the Falklands war and sticking it big style to the NUM during the miners strike. Hills borough wasn''t her finest hour

[quote user="Waveney Canary"]Two great events for me deserve respect. Her leadership during the Falklands war and sticking it big style to the NUM during the miners strike. Hills borough wasn''t her finest hour[/quote]

Totally agree. And it is sickening me how many people on social networks are spouting bile, and not having the first clue what they are on about.

I would be respectful in tribute, the only people you are hurting is grieving relatives.

Why would football clubs have a minute silence/applause for a politician? Leave the applause for club heroes not for politics/anything non-football related.

A truly great PM whatever your individual political feelings. Saved this nation from the looney left and reminded Scargill and co just who runs the country - the elected government of the day. Did she make mistakes? Of course she did however when this country was in crisis she was just what was needed. Once the crisis was over her footing was less sure just as Churchill was a much better wartime PM than he was in peacetime.

Eternal rest grant unto her O Lord,

let perpetual light shine upon her.

may she rest in peace, Amen.

I don''t remember there being any kind of acknowledgement at football grounds in October 1967 after the death of Clement Attlee, Britan''s greatest prime minister of the 20th century.

[quote user="Dr Crafty Canary"]Ah, a good old Scargill attitude. She did for him brilliantly thank God.[/quote]

Brilliant! She did for Scargill!

But what about the miners and their families? What about the dockers and their families? What about all the innocents at Hillsborough and their families? I''m sure they can all get great comfort because "she did for Scargill". What harm came to him Crafty?

Don''t forget the soldiers who lost their lives oh so pointlessly at the Falklands nutty, if it wasn''t for her giving a lease-back option to the Argentinians it may never have happened.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I don''t remember there being any kind of acknowledgement at football grounds in October 1967 after the death of Clement Attlee, Britan''s greatest prime minister of the 20th century.[/quote]Wasn''t the done thing then, PC, but today there''s hardly anything that doesn''t qualify.

Just one example of the miss-truths out there about her reign are regarding pit closures under the Tories.  Of course even hard facts of say, the number of pit closures under the Tories and the number of pit closures under Labour governments, wouldn''t be enough for those that wage their campaign against her.  Well of course they wouldn''t want to know the hard facts because it goes against everything they ''believe'' in.

Maggie haters when she was alive and still Maggie haters now that she is dead, no doubt some will have cracked open a bottle of bubbly upon hearing the news.

Having posted the above I know that some will be unable to accept the fact that I am NOT a champion of Margaret Thatcher.

No.. I understand and agree with what you have posted ''slim. The pit closures were never the issue for me.

Blame the Union leaders holding this country to ransom not Maggie for having the strength of character to deal with it.

Neither was she responsible for the Hillsborough disaster. The police mishandling of the crowd trying to gain entry and their subsequent attempts to blame the Liverpool fans is now generally accepted as the cause.

As for pointless deaths of our glorious troops in the Falklands, thank God you weren''t running the country BW''s cat when Hitler was about. No doubt you''d have put your hands up straightaway. Reflect on the fact that Lady Thatcher never played on the success of the Falklands conflict as a vote catcher in the subsequent election. She had great respect for those troops and as others have testified was moved to tears by the deaths that followed and wrote individually in her own hand to each family involved to express her regret.

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]

Just one example of the miss-truths out there about her reign are regarding pit closures under the Tories.  Of course even hard facts of say, the number of pit closures under the Tories and the number of pit closures under Labour governments, wouldn''t be enough for those that wage their campaign against her.  Well of course they wouldn''t want to know the hard facts because it goes against everything they ''believe'' in.

Maggie haters when she was alive and still Maggie haters now that she is dead, no doubt some will have cracked open a bottle of bubbly upon hearing the news.

Having posted the above I know that some will be unable to accept the fact that I am NOT a champion of Margaret Thatcher.

[/quote]
There''s no "Mis-truth" in the fact she supported Pinochet whilst he committed genocide. Nor that she engaged with Apartheid regime when the world was trying to enforce sanctions against them. Nor in the fact she had Fincucane murdered. Nor in the fact that she enforced the illegal shoot-to-kill policy to quell the Republicans in Ireland. Nor in the fact she used police brutality to quash any protests about anything.
And in addition to ALL OF THAT... She cost Norwich City a place in Europe, and covered up Hillsborough.
The odd mis-truth does not sanctify her when the facts about her are widely available. Despicable woman.

[quote user="BWs Cat "]Burning at the stake kick it off?[/quote]
If it were up to me, I''d have her chopped into steak and fed to the dogs.

She was a divisive PM governing in difficult times, she is always going to be hated by some, championed by others. I would have thought the majority of the British public cares neither way nowadays.

But anyway why would there be marks of respects at grounds, where''s the link with football? There will be some sort of state ceremony presumably.

"Don''t forget the soldiers who lost their lives oh so pointlessly at the Falklands nutty"

Firstly half the casualties were Sailors and Marines (and one RAF Officer), secondly I don''t think you''ll find the majority of opinion of those who served at the time or have served in the area since consider the sacrifice pointless.