Sign in to follow this  
Northern Canary

First game of the season

Does anyone else feel that if Andy Johnson had not levelled it for Palace at the start of last season, and Adebola had not got a equaliser at the start of this season, that things could be quite a bit different. For example, if we had won at the start of the prem campaign we would not have faced that stupid "first win" and we may have gone at teams with more confidence. Something that we soon ran short of. Same with this season, i feel that if we had of beaten Coventry it would have built on the confidence we had going into the season. In this league particularly i think confidence is the key. The longer we go on without a win the less we have and that has happened twice. I am beginning to think that for Norwich, the first game of the season is a very important one.

[quote]Does anyone else feel that if Andy Johnson had not levelled it for Palace at the start of last season, and Adebola had not got a equaliser at the start of this season, that things could be quite a bit...[/quote]

Yes, I totally agree.

If our opponents didn''t keep equalising, if we had scored more goals than them, if we won all our games and then we''d be top of the league.

So simple it''s a shame no one else has realised this - many thanks for your enlightening post.

Oh and yes, the first game of next season will be very important as we strive to get out of League 1.

Thats the joy of football - with a few ifs and buts thrown in we could be chelsea - or cheltenham...!

OTBC  

[quote]Yes, I totally agree. If our opponents didn''t keep equalising, if we had scored more goals than them, if we won all our games and then we''d be top of the league. So simple it''s a shame no one else ...[/quote]

that isnt what i was saying

Northern - at the risk of being ridiculed too, I think you make an important point. It may be more than the first game only but making a good start undoubtedly builds confidence and that leads to improved performance. I think Wigan are a good example of this. Everton illustrate both the good and bad of this from last season and this.

The key issue for me is what can be done to bring that confidence, short of waiting for next season. Other boosts for confidence seem to be:

1. Inspirational signings - e.g. Huckerby for us in promotion season, Owen for Newcastle etc.
  2. Inspiring Board takeovers with lots of money - e.g. Chelsea
  3. Management changes - e.g. Dowie at Palace, arguably Worthington for us post-Hamilton

As 1 and 2 seem impossible, it seems that we are left with 3. Until the QPR game I thought Worthington should be given time to turn things round but that result changed my mind. I was willing to be convinced by Delia but losing to Sheffield Wednesday was too much. My worry is that on past record if Worthington goes, he will be replaced by someone already at the club. Would that be just as bad?!?!

I have seen what Youssef Safri has to say and really hope he is right and that things turn around from tomorrow but it is more in hope than conviction. Frankly, I think that the Board will need to act soon otherwise the blame will turn to them rather than to Worthington.

I definitly agree re last season. I feel if AJ hadn''t of scored we''d have got that vital first win, and would have had a much better chance of staying up.

I''m getting a bit worried about the players saying they will turn it around. Its been said after the Luton, and Qpr games, and i haven''t noticed much turnaround

I too agree.  It does boost confidence to start well and City have usually tended to be an autumn and spring team and not play so well in the winter.  Don''t now why but it always seems that our game goes better on drier pitches.  Just like we always do poorly against Coventry and Manchester City whatever the league position.

More tellingly, these were both games which we were winning well and should have wrapped up.  Instead we allowed poorer opponents to nick a draw.  It must raise tiny niggles in the players'' minds which may grow if not rectified quickly.... and they weren''t rectified  last season or this.  We know the outcome last year....what about this year?  The loser mindset does seem to be growing apace.

United in our love for City