Sign in to follow this  
Wings of a Sparrow

Films of 2013

I saw the Ginger Baker doc at Cinema City a couple months ago wi my Grandad. Thiught it was a brilliantly made piece about a very interesting guy, but yeah not a nice person at all...

And good too see you back Hex!

I bet the drumming sounded awesome in a proper cinema. My crappy laptop couldn''t do it the justice it deserved.

Welcome back hexem. Hope you''re much better. Same old on here:-)

Screen on the Green.Thanks Wings of a Sparrow, and thanks for the history lesson.Things I didn''t know!. I moved to the present spot in October 76 from a flat in now uber trendy Clerkenwell.Punk passed me by. Although I worked on many distinctly odd shows at the Victoria Palace most were middle of the road.My only punk connection would have been through my daughter who might have had Bruce Foxton as an Uncle (in-law).She stayed at his villa in the Algarve a couple of times. We met at a Christmas drink at the home of Richard Caring.Foxton''s wife died in the same year as minehex 

[quote user="Gingerpele"]I saw the Ginger Baker doc at Cinema City a couple months ago wi my Grandad. Thiught it was a brilliantly made piece about a very interesting guy, but yeah not a nice person at all... And good too see you back Hex![/quote]

I missed that film. I very much wish I had seen it as it must have been v interesting and entertaining.

"Wings of a Sparrow"I have now fallen asleep twice while trying to watch Star Trek Into Darkness.

Not a ringing endorsement.

Some great action and the effects are top notch but I just couldn''t get into the characters. Maybe it''s because I have never been a Trekky so have never had an emotional attachment to them, but that was my major problem with the film.

Cumberbatch was brilliant as the baddie. (Why is it always an Englishman playing bad guys? )

It''s good but I wasn''t blown away.

I don''t often go to the pics (hardly ever) but saw About Time tonight and it was great-funny, sad, well written and greàt acting. An ideal film to take your partner with.

Got World War Z lined up.

A film about the end of the world starring millions of  the violent and angry undead.A bit like the main forum[:D]

Elysium.

By the same people that brought you District 9 (great film if you haven''t seen it, check it out.)

Those that can afford it live on a man-made space station paradise, those that can''t are forced to eke out an existence on a devastated, polluted over-crowded earth.

Special effects are good and with a particularly good baddie.

You could pick holes in it if you tried but it is a good film, with good acting and the CGI, especially on Elysium draw you in.

Pacific Rim. A couple of hours of daft fan. Switch your brain off and enjoy. Like a non-shit version of Transformers. Some really dodgy accents though, but spot the English actors.

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]The Worlds End. 5 men embark on a mission to recreate a pub crawl they set out on in 1990, but failed to finish, with the final twelfth pub being The Worlds End. Without giving anything away, there are plenty of lol moments as you would expect from writing team of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) it is funny as I said, poignant in places and an ending I was not expecting. You will not be disappointed if you''re a fan of the other two films in the "Cornetto Trilogy". Worth watching also because Herman''s local is featured.[/quote]

After bigging it up i finally got to see it. It''s like a big,daft Doctor Who episode. Probably the weakest of the trilogy but still good.The fact i like all of the actors is a big plus. I recognised loads of places.My home town is the first half,Letchworth second and my local is where they first meet the blanks.

Just back from seeing The Family. Wanted to see it because I absolutely adore Dianna Agron. She is pretty much perfection.

The film is pretty good, the four playing the family all do a great job. Kind of wanted to know a bit more about Di Nero''s characters backstory. But it worked anyway. Not an award winner or anything, but thoroughly enjoyable and well made with a very good cast.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (3D).

If the over-long dinner party and brown wizard scenes of the first film were putting you off going to see the second instalment of the Hobbit trilogy, then don''t let it.

This is a much better effort and the film fairly gallops along at blistering pace.

There are some new characters, notably the hot she-elf and Bard the Bowman. Following the plot of the book it doesn''t but it keeps you enthralled for all 2.1/2+

hours.

If the 3rd film delivers as well then we''re in for a heck of a finish to the trilogy.

Worthy mention again to the beautiful New Zealand scenery.

Last night, at the popular time of 00:55 I watched ''Waltz with Bashir'', an animation remembering the occurences surrounding the Sabra and Shatila massaker in 1982. Ariel Sharon, who ordered this massaker and never stood trial for it, is in a coma and said to die soon.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifRsUvR7JCc#t=1521

Watched Drive (2011) for the first time last night.

Very interesting and gritty movie. Not really sure what to make of it at times, but at others I was in love with it. Very cold acting from a lot of characters, with a great performance from lead Ryan Gosling, and a nice guest appearance from Bryan Cranston. Soundtrack is an interesting one too. Worth a watch if you have time whilst it''s on iPlayer

[quote user="nevermind"]Last night, at the popular time of 00:55 I watched ''Waltz with Bashir'', an animation remembering the occurences surrounding the Sabra and Shatila massaker in 1982. Ariel Sharon, who ordered this massaker and never stood trial for it, is in a coma and said to die soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifRsUvR7JCc#t=1521

[/quote]

The film and brilliant composer, Max Richter, will be appearing at this years Meltdown Festival.

http://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whatson/max-richter-waltz-with-bashir-83475

[quote user="Alejandra"]I know it''s 2014 now but I got to say i liked Captain Phillips, very engrossing film![/quote]

agree with, you fantastic performance by tom hanks. The first few scenes was like, oh no he''s putting on a weird accent that he can''t do, like in ''the terminal.'' But he quickly stole the performance. The scene at the end was as good as when Jenny died in F. Gump and he made the speech by her grave. Would be my pick as well

[quote user="Wings of a Sparrow"]The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (3D). If the over-long dinner party and brown wizard scenes of the first film were putting you off going to see the second instalment of the Hobbit trilogy, then don''t let it. This is a much better effort and the film fairly gallops along at blistering pace. There are some new characters, notably the hot she-elf and Bard the Bowman. Following the plot of the book it doesn''t but it keeps you enthralled for all 2.1/2+ hours. If the 3rd film delivers as well then we''re in for a heck of a finish to the trilogy. Worthy mention again to the beautiful New Zealand scenery.[/quote]

Finally caught it and yes, a much better film. It took me a little while to remember what was happening but other than that it was fast, action packed and finished leaving me excited about the final one. Very good.

''71.A brilliant British film about the troubles in Northern Ireland. As authentic as possible for us to imagine what it was like in those times. The basic synopsis is that a British squaddie gets left behind in a Catholic area of Belfast during a riot, and his struggle to get back out to safety. Everyone is after him but not everyone is keen to get him back in one piece. Jack O''Connell is in top form as the lead.Please go and see this if you can. Give your hard-earned to these film makers rather than to the sewage workers in Hollywood[:D]

Dawn Of The Planet Of The Apes.Good, but not as good as the first one. Quite a few cliches crammed in which weakened the plot. All in all, another blockbuster which failed to deliver much new but watchable nonetheless.

Saw ''71 a few weeks ago, its the sort of film that small British filmmakers do best, gritty and realistic and making slightly uncomfortable viewing.

A surprisingly good and unexpected film I saw recently was Salmon fishing in the Yemen. with the added bonus of the lovely Emily Blunt.

Blimey, it was a 2011 film, talk about moving with the times.