Sign in to follow this  
Wings of a Sparrow

Films of 2013

Nice to see you on here again Wings.

On the subject of films, Spectre has got some extremely good reviews. I also like Chistoph Waltz (Bond villain) who was great in both Django Unchained and Inglorious B@stards.

Thanks guys, I''ve been lurking, but damn, there''s some idiocy on the Main Discussion board these days and have tended to steer clear.

Inglorious Basterds is a great film. Not seen Django Unchained as yet.

Has anyone booked for the Star Wars The Force Awakens in December?

If the trailers are anything to go by then I am optimistic for the new Star Wars. They can''t be any worse than the last batch surely?!

Django''s great, much better than Inglorious (which personally I thought was a bit patchy even with Waltz''s performance).

He plays ''the good guy'' in this which is a nice change as well. Great acting from Di Caprio and Jamie Fox as well. Very entertaining film.

I''ve also seen trailers for Black Mass as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CE3e3hGF2jc

Johnny Depp''s first attempt in a proper acting role for a long time (instead of being Tim Burton''s sidekick) and is being heavily praised for his performance. Don''t know if the films and good mind.

Saw spectre last week and must say I was a little disappointed given the good reviews. Lots of action and potential, but the script was woeful.

Q was good in it I thought.

Anyone else seen it?

Who''s the first to see Star Wars then?  (Getting rightfully fed up with all the advertising etc.)

I''ve gotta say in all the build up I wasn''t really bothered about it, but now it has been released I really want to see it! Sadly my other half hates anything Sci-Fi!

I was the same as AJ, couldn''t care less and thought it was going to be like the prequels e.g Phantom Menace but with more of a Tim Burton edge to it. However, having seen the reviews and the trailers I''m getting all nostalgic and am excited to see it.

The Big Short.Excellent, funny and equally depressing film about the subprime banking crisis. It made it easier to understand what went on and the levels of fraud, stupidity and greed that were displayed by the people in charge of the US (and worlds economy). It''s not preachy either, so both sides of the political fence can, and should see it.The scariest thing is that non of the top people saw it coming and that they have started selling the same shitty ''products'' that started it all.A must see.

Spotlight was my other choice to see but being very lazy the Big Short was at my nearest (and nicest) cinema. It''s a heavy subject but I''ve heard nothing but good about it, so it''s definitely one up next.

Son of Saul. Fantastically bleak, one-person view of life in Auschwitz. Neither bloody or gory but with every bad thing happening out of focus and leaving it to your imagination. Brilliant film making and story telling.

Anyone still watching films?

The Shape of Water was good.

Enjoying the new Star Wars and spin offs, although there are parts of the last one I’d rather forget!

I didn’t expect to enjoy the Last Showman as much as I did.

The last film I saw was the new Star Wars one. Yes it was good with likeable characters, but as you say there were a couple of dreadful, cringey moments. Leia floating in space??? The plotlines are the same as the originals though and there is going to be a bombshell moment in the last one, which is obvious. Although it may be a red herring.A good oldie I watched over the Christmas break was Gone Girl. I was expecting a basic murder mystery but it turned out to be far more complex and twisted than that. Worth watching if it comes on TV again.

Yes the Leia moment was cringeworthy.

Gone Girl was not what I expected either.

City of Valerian - I liked the original planet, but I just couldnt warm to the main characters.

A real gem I found was Tucker and Dale Vs Evil.

A comedy horror film with a twist, don’t read up about it, just enjoy it!

Haha, spot on. It just needed an umbrella and a chirpy song. The bit with Chewy and the birds was pure Disney schmaltz as well.

The Death of Stalin has some of the funniest and bleakest moments in cinema. Well worth a watch[Y]

[quote user="ricardo"]Spotlight is the best I''ve seen this year. The Revenant was good but half an hour too long.
[/quote]
A bit late but I finally got around to watching this last night. What a brilliant and absorbing film. The premise of four journalists investigating paedophile priests isn''t something that sounds watchable but I can highly recommend it.

[quote user="KiwiScot"]The Crimson Pirate![/quote]
Not sure if that''s a film recommendation or a euphemistic accusation.... [;)]

[quote user="kick it off"][quote user="KiwiScot"]The Crimson Pirate![/quote]
Not sure if that''s a film recommendation or a euphemistic accusation.... [;)]
[/quote]
You''ll likely be interested in Michael moore''s latest offering, KiO.