Sign in to follow this  
Wings of a Sparrow

Films of 2013

Deserved a new thread...

Well I thoroughly enjoyed Oz the great and powerful (3d), kept true to the spirit of the original, probably won''t win any Oscars but 2 hours of pure escapism, no dull moments plenty of visual feasts and 3d treats and the witches are HOT!

Hopefully going to see Robot and Frank next week.

BTW never got to see Jack Reacher it was advertised heavily at release date and then never to be seen again. I guess that tells you all you need to know.

Looking forward to ST: Into Darkness, Oblivion, After Earth and the two dozen or so Marvel Comic movies they are bound to trot out.

ARGO.

I watched this last night. Now the trouble I have is that I can''t say too much as it will spoil it. As I found out to my cost, the more you know about it the lesser a film it becomes. :-)

Needless to say it is a brilliant film still.It has a few Hollywood clichés, which take off a bit of its sheen, but other than that a film worth spending a couple of hours on.

Hope that made sense.

There is a bit of that but it''s not as bad as Hurt Locker, which after re watching, made me avoid Zero Dark Thirty for those precise reasons.

Good Vibrations.

A film for the musos. A true story about a guy that set up a record store/label in the centre of war torn Belfast, discovering bands like the Undertones etc. Good soundtrack if nothing else.

Trance.

Go and see it, it''s just wonderful! Danny Boyle is a genius, he really is. Can''t really say too much about the film without spoiling it, but you''ll have a hard time trying to work out all the plot twists, even once you''ve seen the whole film it''s still easy to be confused (well so it would seem as nearly every conversation I heard walking pit the cinema indicated, I got it, wasn''t a simple plot, but wasn''t rocket science.). Not necessarily a ''cinema'' film per se, by that I mean it doesn''t benefit greatly by being on a huge screen etc like some films do (still haven''t bothered watching Avatar at home, just don''t see the point in watching it on the small screen) but its just so good I don''t recommend waiting for the DVD!

"Wings of a Sparrow"

BTW never got to see Jack Reacher it was advertised heavily at release date and then never to be seen again. I guess that tells you all you need to know.

It''s watchable mate. It follows the book very closely and,although I wouldn''t have cast him, Tom is good as Reacher.

A couple of problems;

Some average acting by some of the cast and the cameraman having a pervy time focusing on the lead actresses boobs.

There is an intelligent car chase which is a joy to watch and doesn''t go on like some can.

Overall it is good but not something to go out of your way for.

What''s the new Trek film like? As a non-Trekky I enjoyed the last one and presume this is more of the same.

Couple more worthy of a mention.

World War Z with Brad Pitt (yeah I know but have warmed to him very much of late esp. since Inglorious Basterds).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

Kick-Ass 2. Can it be as good as the first one, who knows? If the trailer is anything to go by, then yes, maybe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qc6tL8cd9KQ

Seen a few films since coming back to Norwich.

Hangover 3, was really good in my opinion. I love Zach Galifiankakis so focusing on him more was a good move. And while I would have been happy to see another film with the same wake up not remembering what happened plot, because thats what Hangover is, I think they dealt with the change in plot style quite well.

Much Ado About Nothing. Perfect. Joss Whedon just knows how to make a film/TV show. A tad slow/not natural to get into the flow of the film to start with, always off putting having ''modern'' people talking in Shakespearian language in film, but doesn''t take too long to get up to speed. Tom Lenk and Nathan Fillion''s characters are perfect, although I suppose Shakespear should take some credit for that? (i''ve never read Much Ado About Nothing though...)

The Internship. Was good enough, you can probably predict whats going to happen, its Owen Wilson and Vince Vaughan, they are the same in most films, and if you like them it works. Interesting setting in the Google HQ (I don''t know if it was the actual Google HQ, or if it wasn''t if it was anything like it, but it was cool)

Beware of Mr Baker. My Grandad wanted to see this, and had two tickets because whoever was supposed to go with him couldn''t, so I went. Didn''t really know much about Ginger Baker, but the film was fantastic. I now want to make a documentary about someone (probably a musician, because the use of their music really helps) because of this film.

After Earth. Was ok, certainly not as bad as many of the reviews (by reviewers and general people) that i''ve seen. Jaden Smith is a fairly decent actor, and its good that WIll Smith is helping him out. No reason why Jaden should have to do it alone, the film industry is of course about ''who you know'' not ''what you know'' which unfortunately is extremely true. All my degree really does is get me in a slightly better position for work experience and a 1 in 1000 chance at getting an internship because of the amount of Uni grads (and non-grads) applying.

Going to see Now You See Me, probably today. Trailer looked great, decent cast, the premise seems very interesting, hoping it lives up to my expectations. But as you can see form the above short summaries, I tend to like everything...

The Worlds End.

5 men embark on a mission to recreate a pub crawl they set out on in 1990, but failed to finish, with the final twelfth pub being The Worlds End.

Without giving anything away, there are plenty of lol moments as you would expect from writing team of Simon Pegg and Nick Frost (Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz) it is funny as I said, poignant in places and an ending I was not expecting.

You will not be disappointed if you''re a fan of the other two films in the "Cornetto Trilogy".

Worth watching also because Herman''s local is featured.

[quote user="Gingerpele"]Now You See Me was great. Go see it.[/quote]

I enjoyed that film alot, didn''t see that ending coming (seems so obvious now).

However there were huge plot holes that i realised during the film, unlike after when you have time to reflect on the whole movie.

Watchable. If you like your Die Hard type OTT action film you should get into this. Less humour and more violence, the body count is into it''s hundreds, but Butler is a good lead.

Spoilt a bit by a cheese-fest, USA ending.

Switch your brain off for a few hours and don''t think too closely about the holes.

Good Vibrations.

Thoroughly, bloody, damned good film.

Belfast''s top DJ and record shop owner Terri Hooley champions the Ulster punk movement and brings the Undertones to the attention of John Peel.

Beware Mr Baker.

Brilliant documentary about Ginger. Fantastic drummer but what an awful human being.

Hi Herman. Ginger Baker.I read the reviews this morning in TimeOut. Not a chap that makes lifelong friends.Baker''s 4 wives, and 3 grown

children all have something to say about him: "He''s a force of nature,"

"he''s the greatest drummer any of us had ever heard," "he''s mad," and

"he''s fairly consistently horrible" are just a few of them
.I don''t bother with films much even though Screen on the Green is 3 minutes away. They have comfy sofas now..whatever next?I only caught up with Tinker Tailer this week as it was on TV.I took a spell of sick leave over most of this year. After a leg injury I ended up with septicaemia,now called sepsis, its easier to spell for a start. The cure was high octane antibiotics, one would have killed in a day the other could cause internal organ damage.It has left some weaknesses. But I have still kept a watchful eye on the Pink''un.  I know all about Syria, the Satan US, and other world issues. such as best sangwidges.hex.