Sign in to follow this  
Shaun Tilly Lace

Best saxophone on a pop/rock song?

The first song that got me hooked on a Sax was Gerry Rafferty''s ''Baker Street'', always gets the emotions running when I hear that, even now.

Also Men At Work''s Who Can It Be Now'', Boy Meets Girl''s ''Waiting for a Star to Fall'', and Take That''s ''A Million Love Songs'', finished off by Tears For Fears''s '' The Working Hour''!!

Awesome!

Night boat to Cairo.....

Reminds me of a story....and an actual LOL moment.

It was a Sunday night a few years ago and me and the missus were driving back from somewhere after holiday.

It was that time of evening when Radio Norfolk joins forces with other obscure local BBC Radio stations and the phone in was about misheard lyrics.

This woman phones in and proceeds to say how she always thought "floats off down the River Nile" was blow jobs down the River Nile.

No pre-recording and too late by then the deed was already done.

There's lots of recognisable old poster names. I wonder what happened to them all??

• Like 1

I have been learning the saxophone. My favourite bands from the 60s and 70s were BS&T and Chicago.

I could no longer play bass decently so now the Chinese are making the sax cheaper I got one.

Trouble is my dog doesn't like my playing. And after hearing Branford Marsalis say it takes about 4 years to just blow and breathe properly and consistently, I realised I have left it a bit left to think about virtuosity. Stick to a bit of soul backing and hope for the best.

• Like 1

Brown sugar is my favourite. That dirty sounding tone really fits the song.

Careless Whisper, walk on the wild side, embarrassment are up there too.

Not the best but Raphael Ravenscroft got a one off fee of £80 for Baker Street. Gerry Rafferty was still earning £60k a year from it when he died not so long ago. 

Best Sax ever is anything by Clarence 🎷

Perhaps a little more recent than other posts, but anything by Melt Yourself Down. Crocodile probably the go-to track as a starter.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2021 at 06:31, dylanisabaddog said:

Not the best but Raphael Ravenscroft got a one off fee of £80 for Baker Street. Gerry Rafferty was still earning £60k a year from it when he died not so long ago. 

Best Sax ever is anything by Clarence 🎷

Baker Street has got to be one of the best although evidently it is slightly flat. 

Difficult question Sonny Rollins on the Stones' Waiting on a Friend, Candy Dulfer on Lily Was Here, David Sanborn on Young Americans, but I think my fave is Michael Brecker on Paul Simon's Still Crazy After All These Years. 

So, in order of coolness:

1 Take Five Dave Brubeck - Paul Desmond

2.Baker Street Gerry Raferty - Rafael Ravenscroft

3. Big Girl Body Robert Glasper Experiment- Bilal