Sign in to follow this  
Canary Boy

Is Craig Fleming playing at right back in preference of Jurgan Colin?

yes he was.... and he didnt do very well unfortunately!

Flemmo used to play there for Oldham nigh on a decade ago when the legs were younger but now hes best suited to the middle... Colin came off the bench and i thought did ok when he came on... why didnt we start with him after 1 bad game vs QPR

jas

Fleming must be shipped out immediately and, if Colin performs as badly under a new manager as he has done up until now, he can go as well.

I have backed worthington, but now i have lost faith.

I was at the game, and i was clear to see fleming lacks the pace top play full-back. Eagles and another lad were too good for him

On the other hand, i have been Very impressed with Colin and feel the desicion to drop him sums up Mr Worthington at the moment. He is as good as Eddy was, with more pace.

I have backed worthington, but now i have lost faith.

I was at the game, and i was clear to see fleming lacks the pace top play full-back. Eagles and another lad were too good for him

On the other hand, i have been Very impressed with Colin and feel the desicion to drop him sums up Mr Worthington at the moment. He is as good as Eddy was, with more pace.

just another example of worthingtons crazy team selections.it was painfully obvious from early on today that effing flem was going to struggle when he was skinned and left.you should all know by now that he cant do any wrong in the managers mind.by the way,that was a disjointed,lethargic display today.every player looked like they would have rather been somewhere else .i am seriously concerned we will end up like forest have.

Our Right backs have gradually declined over the years IMO.

Kents - Solid, loved the player personally, at the club at the wrong time

Steeno - Not a great fan of his, but played well consistantly for Norwich

Eddy - Top notch going forward, not the best defender. Should never have got rid of

Helveg - Good on paper, a f$$king liability on the pitch

Colin - I like the guy, but he appears to be a confidence player. Hence recent dip

Fleming - Not quick enough. suffered from critiscism

Louis-Jean - Unlikely to see him in a city shirt again

Does it nt sum up nigel''s poor signings, he buys louis-jean and colin in the summer and is playing fleming at rite bak ahead of them, another example he buys jason jarrett (who is almost as bad as clint easton) and was playing Simon ''left back'' charlton in centre mid ahead of him. i could go on and on. 

I like super jurg y drop him?!? Fleming is a god wot his done for the club cn nt b underestimated bit like nigel bt this yr and lst season he hasnt bin at his bst at all and its cost us.

P.S Did ne1 notice deano lack of effort and he''s constant moaning or was it just us...........yes he''s the bst player at the club for years...yes ur service sometimes is disgraceful....yes he''s our only scorer (nxt is huck with 2).....bt please engourage and act like you want it.

NEVER MIND THE DANGER 

I think you''ll probably find that NW is just giving Colin a breather.

Apparently he had a shocker at QPR and was not much better against Luton.Worthy has spoken before about the fact that Colin isn''t used to playing so many games - the Dutch league only play 34 a season - so he''s just trying to protect him from burnout.Louis-Jean is still carrying some sort of injury and as someone else stated,Flem came to the club as a right back so he knows the position.

I didn''t think he did too bad - probably a 5 1/2 out of 10.He got skinned a couple of times on the flank but he did make a couple of good saving tackles and clearances when he had to move inside to cover.He''s not the answer though and I think you''ll find Colin will start on Tuesday...

Lets be fair about this... Colin had a poor game at QPR and has often this season seemed to struggle positionally

He looks to have a lot of potential though...a shame he isnt currently understudy to Edworthy for a season

having witnessed the last 4 defeats first-hand I''m going to buck the trend and say i actually think NW has actually got this decision right.

Yes, I would rather we had kept Eddy but Fleming''s performances i  the last 2 matches were far better than Colin''s who looks vulnerable defensively and clueless going forward.

I nearly p*ssed myself when NW made that last substitution (CJ for CF) and I bet Sheff Wed did too! All it achieved was to waste our own time.

The game was not lost because we had Flem starting instead of Colin (although as FTFW says why we made the last sub is anyones guess - no benefit in it at all - fresh legs at the back to protect a 1-0 deficit anyone???)

However it does highlight many of Worthys problems. 

1.  Lack of trust in youth.  First sign of problems the player is dropped. Does wonders for a youngsters confidence that.    Sure Colin has had a couple of weaker games but overall he looks like a decent purchase who will progress throughout the season.  Like Helveg he will not pick up the pace of the game sitting on the bench...

2. Preference to ''fave'' players.  We bought 2 full backs in the summer yet tried another out of position player instead of swapping MLJ in.  Another happy squad player there then isnt it!

3.  Inconsistency of approach.  Flem had 12 months+ of poor performances before he was dropped Where is the faith being shown in one of the few (albeit dull) bright sparks of this awful season?    Jurgen had just two poor games, on the back of improving performances, where the basic situation was 10 players were sh!te in those 2 games too.  Only he and WLY have paid the price which brings us to number

4. ongoing blame culture attached to some players (WLY dropped after two poor performances in midfield after several sparkling games as a striker - WHY CHANGE HIS POSITION??? 

5.  my first line in brackets - ability to make useful tactical changes through subs.

6. Developing a player.  As we seen year in year out with proven internationals it takes time to adapt to the absurd pace of the English game.  Henry, Pires, Reyes, Drogba have all had difficult first seasons adapting to it - look at them this season.  Even our own imports (Helveg and Jonson) struggled.  Even know I fail to comprehend why people fail to appreciate the defencive skill Helveg brought to our side in those last 7/8 games.  It was he and Safri that transformed our team, not Ashton nor Worthy.  Like Helveg, Colin will NOT learn the pace of the game or develop as a full back by warming his ar$e on the bench.  

Colin has potential -  but once again our coaching staff looks like blowing it in the same way they fail to improve any footballer that signs for this club.  That is the crime of Flem starting, not the quality of his performance, which was fine.

OTBC

The game was not lost because we had Flem starting instead of Colin (although as FTFW says why we made the last sub is anyones guess - no benefit in it at all - fresh legs at the back to protect a 1-0 deficit anyone???)

However it does highlight many of Worthys problems. 

1.  Lack of trust in youth.  First sign of problems the player is dropped. Does wonders for a youngsters confidence that.    Sure Colin has had a couple of weaker games but overall he looks like a decent purchase who will progress throughout the season.  Like Helveg he will not pick up the pace of the game sitting on the bench...

2. Preference to ''fave'' players.  We bought 2 full backs in the summer yet tried another out of position player instead of swapping MLJ in.  Another happy squad player there then isnt it!

3.  Inconsistency of approach.  Flem had 12 months+ of poor performances before he was dropped Where is the faith being shown in one of the few (albeit dull) bright sparks of this awful season?    Jurgen had just two poor games, on the back of improving performances, where the basic situation was 10 players were sh!te in those 2 games too.  Only he and WLY have paid the price which brings us to number

4. ongoing blame culture attached to some players (WLY dropped after two poor performances in midfield after several sparkling games as a striker - WHY CHANGE HIS POSITION??? 

5.  my first line in brackets - ability to make useful tactical changes through subs.

6. Developing a player.  As we seen year in year out with proven internationals it takes time to adapt to the absurd pace of the English game.  Henry, Pires, Reyes, Drogba have all had difficult first seasons adapting to it - look at them this season.  Even our own imports (Helveg and Jonson) struggled.  Even know I fail to comprehend why people fail to appreciate the defencive skill Helveg brought to our side in those last 7/8 games.  It was he and Safri that transformed our team, not Ashton nor Worthy.  Like Helveg, Colin will NOT learn the pace of the game or develop as a full back by warming his ar$e on the bench.  

Colin has potential -  but once again our coaching staff looks like blowing it in the same way they fail to improve any footballer that signs for this club.  That is the crime of Flem starting, not the quality of his performance, which was fine.

OTBC

ZLF - I would like to see us develop young players too but given our current plight we need to play our best XI every match. Colin was appalling (in my opinion) in both luton and qpr matches and average at best beforehand and we''re not a charity. Fleming is now 4th choice centre-back (behind the current incumbents and Shackell when fit) but has right-back experience and looks the best choice avaliable from what i''ve witnessed.

[quote]ZLF - I would like to see us develop young players too but given our current plight we need to play our best XI every match. Colin was appalling (in my opinion) in both luton and qpr matches and avera...[/quote]

As I said my gripe is with Worthy it is indicative of a reactionary manager who reverts to his comfort playes first before finally being pushed into the tough decisions.  It is this type of decision that has lead to us being where we are currently, not this actual decision.

I didnt have a problem with Flem playing yesterday- he was not the reason we lost. he did not let us down but he only did OK,  no better than Colin pre luton but better than Colin in the last two games.  With a ''full strength'' midfield I am sure Colin would have benefited as much as Flem did yesterday! 

We do need our full strength side week in week out (and that was it yesterday I think) but I think Colin should have been persevered with for a couple more games.  Hughes, Charlie, Brennan, McVeigh, Jarrett, Green, Hux & even Doc have all been poor for the last couple of games too but the majority have been spared being dropped.

OTBC 

Zipper, characteristically you hit the point at issue as accurately as Helvg hit Ashton''s head.  Once again, I fully agree.

What is sad about this weekend''s postings is taht the anger seems to have subsided and been repalced with weary resignation....the fans'' not Worthy''s regretably....it is dire but it ain''t going to change until results pick up as they must given the quality of the squad.  The Board will do nothing and in our hearts we know that.

God, I feel low about this mess.  We are in for a long and hard winter.

United in our love for City

Playing fleming at right back on sat annoyed me before the game started. I  could not believe my eyes when i realised what was going on with louis jean and colin available both who have pace. worthy please explain this one to me.Fleming looked totally exposed and at times completely confused on what to do at times he looked like our right winger with no pace it was to me under the circumstances and our position a stupid bloody decision.I have been behind you from the start of our problems and still am but many more foolish decisions like that is just not acceptable.fleming has been a good servant but its time to let go he has nothing more to offer his age has caught up with him he looked like a sunday morning pub player.at least when he played centre back he could hide his lack of pace at right back he was well and truly skinned.