Sign in to follow this  
Redders Right Foot

O/T CAR INSURANCE!!

Leaving the US to move back to England today, can''t believe how much it would cost to insure a car! 2000 quid a year for third party fire and theft. apparently no claims bonus doesn''t apply when you accumulated it in another country.

mini-rant over.

Kepp looking and you will find somehwere cheaper, unless your under 25 or are planning on isuring a Super Car.

Davo

You''re young, by UK standards you''ve been driving for a year (if you passed on your 17th birthday), unfortunately everyone has to deal with this!How big the engine is (a Punto could still be a 1.6 or more which insurance companies would be scared of for an 18 year old), where you live, where the vehicle is kept, and how often you''re driving will also have a massive effect on the insurance premium.

[quote user="twinkle toes silvester"]Try getting a quote for fully comp..sometimes works out cheaper than third party fire and theft..put a named driver on,that is older than you,and shop around...[/quote]

Shes right you know

This is not advice.

add a female driver (mother) just incase they need to pull it out of your drive.

Take pass plus exam ask for a quote with and without this.

Fully comp and 3rd party prices can vary a lot. Get quotes for both.

Ask to move the excess around when getting a quote this can help.

I was always the main driver on my insurance from 17, but had my mum and dad down as named drivers as it brought the premium down a lot.  Now I''ve got my wife on the insurance as it does the same! 

[quote user="marvin the martian"]Although slightly illegal as if you''re the main driver you would be lying slightly which would potentially void the policy if you hve an accident ( I think )[/quote]It''s not "slightly illegal" at all, the option to add additional named drivers is fairly universal and it will bring down premiums if they are experienced drivers.  There was no suggestion of making the older person the main driver.http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/insurance/compare-cheap-car-insurance

[quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Leaving the US to move back to England today, can''t believe how much it would cost to insure a car! 2000 quid a year for third party fire and theft. apparently no claims bonus doesn''t apply when you accumulated it in another country. mini-rant over.[/quote]

Are you sure about that? It may be the case with the UK not recognising no-claims bonuses from abroad, but when I moved overseas from the UK I was able to take my no claims with me. It was a long-winded process, to be sure, but it did work.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]I was always the main driver on my insurance from 17, but had my mum and dad down as named drivers as it brought the premium down a lot.  Now I''ve got my wife on the insurance as it does the same! 
[/quote]

Exactly what MJ said ^

I''ve always had my wife on as 2nd driver and she makes my quote cheaper. It doesn''t work with every company, but there''s a bunch of them that actually make it cheaper to have additional drivers that are experienced and/or female.

Also it''s worth checking more than one comparison website. I''ve just renewed my car insurance and first tried money supermarket which came up with a saving of £100 on my renewal, but confused.com found a quote with a major insurer that saved another £180 on top and was 60% of my renewal quote.

Also I think Martin Lewis''s website has a discussion of tips for young drivers - one of the few compensations for being in your 40s is cheap car insurance I guess

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Leaving the US to move back to England today, can''t believe how much it would cost to insure a car! 2000 quid a year for third party fire and theft. apparently no claims bonus doesn''t apply when you accumulated it in another country. mini-rant over.[/quote]

Are you sure about that? It may be the case with the UK not recognising no-claims bonuses from abroad, but when I moved overseas from the UK I was able to take my no claims with me. It was a long-winded process, to be sure, but it did work.[/quote]

So, not only are you evading British taxes, you take advantage of the goodwill of our insurance companies too. Is there nothing you wouldn''t stoop to? [8o|]

You sound just the type of person many wanted to buy our football club! [:@]

[:O] [;)]

Boll*cks to that - sign the car over to your dad, insure in his name, put yourself as the named driver. Then try not to use it too much! Best if you''re living with the parents too!

Ha ha, only joking. But at what point exactly does that become illegal, particularly if you are living with parents and don''t use the car every day? My Mrs is named on mine but we moved recently and now i use the train to commute and she uses the car for her part time job 3 days a week. Is that illegal?

[quote user="lappinitup"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="Javiers Deaf Translator"]Leaving the US to move back to England today, can''t believe how much it would cost to insure a car! 2000 quid a year for third party fire and theft. apparently no claims bonus doesn''t apply when you accumulated it in another country. mini-rant over.[/quote]

Are you sure about that? It may be the case with the UK not recognising no-claims bonuses from abroad, but when I moved overseas from the UK I was able to take my no claims with me. It was a long-winded process, to be sure, but it did work.[/quote]

So, not only are you evading British taxes, you take advantage of the goodwill of our insurance companies too. Is there nothing you wouldn''t stoop to? [8o|]

You sound just the type of person many wanted to buy our football club! [:@]

[:O] [;)]

[/quote]

Oh surely you have realised by now, lapps, I tried to! Cullum was just my cuddly, genial UK-based frontman. How do you think I knew so much about it all?

PS. That is the first time I have seen "goodwill" and "insurance companies" in the same sentence.

PPS. As my libel lawyers will be explaining to you very shortly there is a fine but important distinction between avoiding taxation, which is perfectly legitimate, and evading it...

I have found that when using comparison websites, you can get cheaper quotes if you log on later in the day. It seems that Insurance companies have a quota to meet everyday and will drop the prices if business has been quiet.

problem is, it''s my grandparents car and I''m pretty sure it''s staying in their name. they''re just a bit too old to drive no so I''m having it to get to work and back and help them out, both my parents are staying behind in the US. but thanks for all the tips so far, will certainly be following them up, but for now, off to the airport I go!

see you all soon (perhaps the wigan game. personally can''t wait for it.)

Adios!

[quote user="a1canary"]Boll*cks to that - sign the car over to your dad, insure in his name, put yourself as the named driver. Then try not to use it too much! Best if you''re living with the parents too!

Ha ha, only joking. But at what point exactly does that become illegal, particularly if you are living with parents and don''t use the car every day? My Mrs is named on mine but we moved recently and now i use the train to commute and she uses the car for her part time job 3 days a week. Is that illegal?[/quote]It''s not illegal but it does mean she won''t have a no claims bonus if she ever wants a policy of her own.  Still, good reason not to divorce you :-)

Ha, well I better stick with the train or she''ll have to get her own motor and I''ll start to lose my "marriage insurance policy" lol!

The problem is is that any experience in driving in the States counts for nothing as over here we have hazards you will not have encountered.

Like corners.

Right. As I work in insurance (Boooooooo!!!) albeit not on the motor side here is some advice.1. Naming your wife/mother/father on your insurance is not illegal. Taking out a policy in your parents name for a car that you own and noting yourself as a named driver is. It is called ''fronting''. However any insurer that is doing their job properly (which is evaluating risk just in case you weren''t aware of this) is going to ask you why your Mother is being named on a policy covering her Son''s banger when she is also named on a policy that covers a family car. In terms of risk the fact that your Mother might occasionally drive your car does nothing to prevent you from crashing it. You will get away with some companies it but there are downsides to their casual attitudes which leads me to.....2. ........As difficult as it is to stomach don''t just choose the cheapest insurer. Although the insurance industry is regulated by the government (just like the banks were [:D]) there are still plenty of providers who will stitch you up. Make sure you compare cover as well as price as saving £25 now might cost you in the long run in terms of cover gaps or a higher excess. Check the service charges as some will add these for all manner of things including paying by installments or making mid-term changes such as a change in vehicle or driver. There are many providers who will ''buy in'' customers one year only to whack their prices up the year after and make it difficult for you to change because they leave it so late to invite renewal. Make sure you know your rights and how far in advance you should be presented with renewal documents. Try looking at industry awards as well as price and check out consumer awards for motor insurance by the likes of Which?3. Suck it up. You are a young driver and as such you are more likely to have an accident. I had to pay higher premiums when I was your age and the only claim I have ever made (for an accident which was my fault) was in my first couple of years of driving. Explore any legal ways you can reduce your premiums such as mileage limits, advanced courses etc. Build up your NCD and when you get to 25 you should see a decent reduction.

That''s a bit harsh on the op shack to just say ''suck it up''. If you are over 30 and i''m guessing you are (although I''ve no idea or evidence as to why!) you will not have had to pay anywhere near what young new drivers today have to pay today, even accounting for inflation. I passed in 93, got my first car two years later, and always paid less than 400 in my first years and less after that. The sums these days are extraordinary. God only knows what my son will have to pay when he starts, and he''s 4!

Also, my not really serious suggestion was that the op could register the car in his mum or dads name, then insure it with him as named driver. Then the car is technically not his. I know all this is a bit like tax avoidance and blurs the line between avoidance and evasion but when you are dealing with these sorts of premiums it is hardly surprising that people look for ways round them.

o man i have my driving lessons starting second week of June, i hope a simple newish Fiesta once i pass isnt going to cost a small fortune insurance wise