Sign in to follow this  
Militant Canary

EDL march.

Just heard that the EDL are marching in our beloved city. An act that may well muddy the good reputation that Norwich and Norfolk currently enjoys.

I thank God that there is to be a counter march, but hope that it doesn''t result in violence (which the EDL are obviously trying to stir up).

I hope that, as one, this board rejects their hideous organisation and everything they stand for.

What they are, what they represent, what they believe- and would have us all believe- does not represent this country that I love.

Shame. It''s a long time since I lived in the fine city, but sad to hear that this lot are polluting the place again..I remember the NF/BNP boneheads hanging round selling their papers in the 80s; despite Norwich having a very small non-white population and absolutely no racial tensions to speak of at the time.

They are intitled to an opinion the same as everyone else in this country...wether you agree or disagree is your right, but is an EDL march in norwich anything to do with "OUR" beloved football club? or even football related?.......just my opinion of course militant!

The far right have always attached themselves to football clubs and crowds Divs, so I think it does have some relevance, yes. I''m sure lots of people on this board remember the poisonous atmosphere at some grounds when black players were on the pitch.
Opinions are one thing, but I think the EDL and their mates are prone to translating their opinions into physical action. But that''s just my opinion, of course...

Firstly, I wasn''t aware they are marching so thanks for letting me know.  I won''t be joining them.Their stance against fundamentalist Islamic ideology is not, however, something I disagree with.  I have admittedly skimmed their propaganda site (link below) and suspect this might be a "thin end of the wedge" kind of deal where they start with "extremists" and then gradually move the boundary a bit more and a bit more until it includes all Muslims.  On that basis I would be very wary of what they really stand for.http://englishdefenceleague.org/about-usHowever, at the risk of being tarred and feathered - although they are not an organisation I would join or stand up for, they have the right to march and to make their feelings known, and I do agree that some of the extremist Muslim activity they have targeted (picketing Wooton Bassett, for example) is offensive - as are many extremist Catholic/Protestant views and activities (bombing abortion clinics - wtf is that all about?)Generally, with the broadest of sweeping statements, I find religion to be a barrier to civilisation and enlightened thinking.  Slightly off topic for a football forum, but there we are.

[quote user="Mister Chops"]Firstly, I wasn''t aware they are marching so thanks for letting me know.  I won''t be joining them.Their stance against fundamentalist Islamic ideology is not, however, something I disagree with.  I have admittedly skimmed their propaganda site (link below) and suspect this might be a "thin end of the wedge" kind of deal where they start with "extremists" and then gradually move the boundary a bit more and a bit more until it includes all Muslims.  On that basis I would be very wary of what they really stand for.http://englishdefenceleague.org/about-usHowever, at the risk of being tarred and feathered - although they are not an organisation I would join or stand up for, they have the right to march and to make their feelings known, and I do agree that some of the extremist Muslim activity they have targeted (picketing Wooton Bassett, for example) is offensive - as are many extremist Catholic/Protestant views and activities (bombing abortion clinics - wtf is that all about?)Generally, with the broadest of sweeping statements, I find religion to be a barrier to civilisation and enlightened thinking.  Slightly off topic for a football forum, but there we are.[/quote]Sums up my opinion perfectly, and i didn''t have to write any of it. Ta [Y]

[quote user="nutty nigel"]

God bless you Mister and Hoggy[A]

[/quote]God bless you too.  I still celebrate Christmas, and mine''s a pint of Taddy.

Fundamentalism exists in all religions and those that believe their interpretation of their religion''s tenets alone is ''correct'' has led to fanatical extremism throughout the ages.

The Christian crusades of the Holy Land and massacre of the Muslim populations is one example, Catholic inquisitions another, Jewish terrorism in Palestine before the creation of Israel yet another.

It''s not the religion that''s the problem it''s the people who cannot tolerate an alternative viewpoint to their own (and there''s a few of those on this forum).

When people get on their soapboxes about Muslim extremists I''m reminded of Suladdhin (sp?) who, on re-taking Jerusalem from the crusaders spared them to demonstrate the mercy of Allah and the greatness of Islam.

[quote user="hogesar"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[:d]

[/quote]

Was just a little tip from me to guide you through life''s pitfalls. Thanks to our faith we shall always know how to line up the baulk colours on a snooker table.

Religion should be about how we lead our own lives and not how we interfere in others[Y]

As long as they don''t do any harm there is no reason why they shouldn''t be able to march, free speech and all that.

Like any extreme group they will always have a bad rep. Some of what they stand for might be right/sensible/logical but because they arguably go over the top with it no one wants to listen.

Anti march sounds a bit odd, surely that''s just asking for a potentially violent confrontation?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhq-yO1KN8[8]Imagine there''s no IpswichIt''s easy if you tryThe biggest town in SuffolkWould be a place called EyeImagine all the houses, built on Portman Road...Imagine Mick McCarthyIt isn''t hard to doA dour Irish muppetWho''ll take them to League TwoImagine all the Binners, playing Grimsby Town...You may say I''m a dreamerBut I''m not the only oneI hope some day they''re bankruptAnd the world is free of Scum[8]

[quote user="nutty nigel"][quote user="hogesar"][quote user="nutty nigel"]

[/quote]

[:d]

[/quote]

Was just a little tip from me to guide you through life''s pitfalls. Thanks to our faith we shall always know how to line up the baulk colours on a snooker table.

[/quote]

Yogi Bear''s Grandad?I agree with you.  Each to their own, and don''t tell me what to do.

I absolutely agree on most of that, Crafty. I''d add that extremism in any form (the EDL, if you believe that there is nothing religious in their warped ideology) are just as extremist as the fundamentalist muslims they claim to stand against.

The thing is, I stand against fundamentalist Muslims and Islamic terrorism- I fought in Iraq and Afghanistan for crying out load. The EDL and BNP are just a mirror images of what they allegedly oppose (I say allegedly because they are clearly just brain dead racist misogynists who want rid of anybody who can''t prove their British lineage for something like 4 or 5 generations... well, that''s me in the concentration camp, then).

It is time that people realise that what they stand for is in no way logical and in no way reasonable. These are vile human beings whose beliefs are fundamentally hypocritical (as they are definitely not democratic).

Oh, and Suladdhin Josef (Saladin), or specifically his troops, did massacre a large part of the populous of Jerusalem- I don''t think he would have if it was entirely up to him. However, he did show leniency to those who defended the city, those who surrendered and those who could pay. I could be wrong, of course. Been a while since University.

I know the leader of the EDL, hes a regular guy but is constantly hounded

I have to agree with mr chops sentiments

"hes a regular guy but is constantly hounded"

And there is the problem.

Most of these fascists, racists, homophobes, bigots and what have you are just ordinary people. You expect to go into their house seeing swastikas and mein kampf hanging proudly above their fireplace.

It isn''t like that though.

These people are very good at deception and do their very best to seem as likable and ordinary as possible. Remember that german guy who was a real "peoples man"?

Didn''t think I would agree with nexus but he right. A fascist (or whatever brand they deserve) is still a fascist no matter how "normal" they are.

Don''t fall into the trap

They are horrible people and should be known as such.

[quote user="BWs Cat"]"hes a regular guy but is constantly hounded"

And there is the problem.

Most of these fascists, racists, homophobes, bigots and what have you are just ordinary people. You expect to go into their house seeing swastikas and mein kampf hanging proudly above their fireplace.

It isn''t like that though.

These people are very good at deception and do their very best to seem as likable and ordinary as possible. Remember that german guy who was a real "peoples man"?

Didn''t think I would agree with nexus but he right. A fascist (or whatever brand they deserve) is still a fascist no matter how "normal" they are.

Don''t fall into the trap

They are horrible people and should be known as such.
[/quote]Spot on mate

By the way, does anybody know when and where the march is? I want to try and avoid them whilst i''m in the city.

My dear BW''s Cat, it was on the local news at 6:30 this evening. The EDL are leaving from the castle and marching towards City Hall and the other group are leaving from Chapelfield Gardens. Again towards City Hall. One leaves at 12:30pm and the other at 1:00pm. I can''t remember which way round I''m afraid. The misfortune of old age. You should be safe shopping in the city as a very nice Policeman said it would be safe when interviewed.

Where do you watch Norwich matches in tynemouth ? Was up there a few weeks back and watched the Norwich game in copperfields bar (grand hotel ) nice place you love in !!

Thanks for that Miss Marple. Quite the detective you are.

To be honest I wanted to avoid them to avoid the temptation of my letting them have a piece of my mind! Ha ha.

[quote user="snakepit ric"]Where do you watch Norwich matches in tynemouth ? Was up there a few weeks back and watched the Norwich game in copperfields bar (grand hotel ) nice place you love in !![/quote]
Often in Copperfields Ric. It''s a fine bar. Also the Turk''s Head on Front Street is worth a look.

[quote user="BWs Cat"]Thanks for that Miss Marple. Quite the detective you are.

To be honest I wanted to avoid them to avoid the temptation of my letting them have a piece of my mind! Ha ha.[/quote]I''m sure there are computer keyboards in the city centre if you change your mind.

I actually dont understand any of this. EDL are protesting about some twat being banned from spouting racism. Freedom of speech no matter how abhorrent, is fundamental to our way of life. Millions died fighting the Nazi''s to protect our rights. The modern Nazis would ban fundamentalists of different race & creed from spouting racist creed. The modern liberals seek to ban freedom of speech because it is racist. So both sides really want to ban freedom of speech, maybe they have something in common? Perhaps the only thing we should ban is the term "Racist" If someone then wants to rant on about Racist views in a public place, we should call them what they really are, a fekin twat!