Sign in to follow this  
ron obvious

Match Reports anyone?

Can''t find any post match analysis on here (player ratings etc.) by people attending the match.

First half commentary sounded reasonable, if patchy. Marney seemed to be doing well until injured - now bad is it?. Sunday Times seemed to think Norwich were a bit unlucky.

How did it compare to the QPR game?

[quote]Can''t find any post match analysis on here (player ratings etc.) by people attending the match. First half commentary sounded reasonable, if patchy. Marney seemed to be doing well until injured - now...[/quote]

Much better than QPR.  Another game we could have won easily.

Ratings:

Green 7 Drury 7 Dav 6 Doc 6 Flem 7 Brennan 3 Hucks 5 Saf 9 Marney 4 Hughes 6 Ash 8

Andrew - I was at the game yesterday but can''t compare with QPR as I was not at that game. Overall, I thought the two sides were pretty even and it could have gone either way.

I thought defensively the players seemed to each do OK individually with Doherty (6) and Davenport (6) looking particularly solid in the air - not so good when forwards have pace and the ball on the ground. Even Fleming (6) did OK as a right back, apart from a couple of times where he was skinned for pace. I don''t think we looked that solid as a unit with Wednesday cutting through us too often. For completeness, I would give Drury a 6 too!

In midfield, I thought Brennan (5) was fairly anonymous and I thought he might have been taken off at half-time as both Thorne and Henderson seemed not to come out for the half-time kick about with other subs. I thought Marney (7) looked sharp and it was a shame when he was injured. Safri (8) was awesome - he breaks up play, almost never gives the ball away and comes up with some excellent passes. I like Hughes commitment and acknowledgement of the fans and he worked hard and won the ball several times but his distribution was awful (5). He almost always gave the ball away. I remember once in particular when he got the ball on the right wing in the second half and crossed the ball into the stand!!

The Huckerby/Ashton combination did not seem to work. Huckerby (6) looked sharp in patches. Ashton (5) was overall disappointing. I felt he should have converted at least one chance he had. He seemed extremely angry and frustrated about something. Early in the second half he chased down an overhit pass only to have it run out of play and he slammed it into the advertising hoarding.

Henderson came on for the injured Marney at half-time but was pushed up front with Huckerby out right. Henderson (6) looked sharp and seem to link up better with Ashton for flicked on headers, although I am not sure Ashton likes being used in that role. Henderson looked as if he would either score or be sent off. He was certainly ''up for it'' and was screaming in the assistant''s face at one point. Thorne came on for Brennan and was played out right with Huckerby out left. I thought Thorne (5) was poor but he was out of position - but not sure what else Worthington could have done apart from move Henderson right. Colin came on a bit late to say much.

Overall, I thought it was an average performance and a very poor result. Were we unlucky? Probably yes, but you could also argue that we looked like a dis-spirited team used to losing!

Yeh coudnt have been much worse than QPR really, I''d go with:

Green 6

Flem 5

Doc 7

Davenport 6

Drury 6

Safri 6

Hughes 6

Marney 5

Brennan 5

Hucks 6

Ashton 8 MOTM

dicky - you are joking right....another game we could have won easily....you seem to be forgetting the fact that yet AGAIN, WE DIDNT! against very poor opposition who we should be hammering. we didnt even manage to cling on for a point for gods sake.

[quote]dicky - you are joking right....another game we could have won easily....you seem to be forgetting the fact that yet AGAIN , WE DIDNT! against very poor opposition who we should be hammering. we...[/quote]

Did you go?  Talking to a lot of people after the game, this was the feeling.  What''s your point by the way.

Green 6 (what''s happened to his kicking?)

Fleming 7 (I know everyone likes to slag off Fleming but I think he''s better than the 2 right-backs we acquired over the summer)

Davenport 7

Doherty 7

Drury 7 (the defence as a whole played ok)

Brennan 6 (even Dicky has his whipping boy!!)

Safri 7

Hughes 5 (good at winning the ball...and giving it back)

Huckerby 6 (a shadow of his former self. He''s obviously under instruction to be less selfish but more than once yesterday he should have gone for goal himself. Can''t take a corner for toffee.)

Ashton 6 - a few pot shots here and there but never tested the keeper.

[quote]Green 6 (what''s happened to his kicking?) Fleming 7 (I know everyone likes to slag off Fleming but I think he''s better than the 2 right-backs we acquired over the summer) Davenport 7 Doherty 7 Dru...[/quote]

Don''t know about whipping boy - what annoys me about Brennan is his habit of avoiding any sort of tackling, I would even go as far as to say worse than Hucks on the tackling front (ummmmm).  I would have thought that now is his chance to stake a claim for a place in the first team, but doesn''t really seem up for it. 

It is not just him, but we really need "up for it" players just now.

FTFW - I would be laughing at your Hughes comment if it was not so true - I can see your boy has been working on you!

Dicky - we do need players who are up for it - but who can also play football rather than just work hard.  By all accounts Hughes and Hendo worked hard and were euphamistically ''up for it'' but were actually detrimental to the team overall...  Isnt all this criticism of Brennan a tad unloyal and unbecoming of a true fan ?   

Thorne on the right, Colin up front - Hux on the right (again??!!?!?) I cant think of worse possible changes. 

I can see the headlines now - strikers to blame for failing to kill game off.  Holloway is right - we have lost the art of winning.  If only our manager was as perceptive...

OTBC  

Thanks for your insights chaps (especially No Mad). Much appreciated. Does seem to be a fair bit of variation in individual assessments though!

Green 6 - did well between the sticks as usual, fumbled two things, and what in the world happened in the 6th minutes. unlucky about not having a clean sheet

Flem 3 - my granddad could have skinned fleming, luckily they didn''t take advantage of this much, was useless going forward, by the time he had done the overlap, he was just starting his run back as sheffield took their corner.....
colin to start next game

Doc 7 - good as usual, won everything in the air

Davenport 7 - as above, another good game from the centre pair

Drury 6 - looked solid, didn''t get to come forward much, wasn''t brought into the game as a wing back, Norwich looked so flat across the back four, and had nothing on the wings going forward

Safri 8 MOTM - easily player of the season already, this guy is amazing. makes such a difference to the side, he just needs an attacking partner to go with him....

Hughes 6 - had 2 of norwich''s goalscoring chances, and got niether on target, didn''t even make the goalkeeper work, just fired it over the bar. Im liking the lad, but im not sure he is the one, does well to motivate the team, but really should have scored on both those occasions.

Marney 5 - who? was he actually playing?
although i did notice the difference when he went off (or maybe that was just because we finished with 10 players as worthy wouldn''t bring on a sub, what in the world was he playing at?)

Brennan 5 - poor, needs to be dropped, did nothing brilliant, but then again did nothing wrong either. Huckerby should be on the  left with Hendo upfront

Hucks 6 - had nothing to go on, has to cross in quicker, but looked sharp and good, had a couple of our very few shots on target.

Ashton 8 - looked a threat all the time, again should have scored was unlucky, i feel sorry for him must be very frustrating. First half Huckerby and him just couldn''t work well, once Huckerby had dropped back to his more preferred left wing role and Hendo was upfront things started to happen, linked up well with Hendo and i for one would like to see more of this happening

Hendo 8 - my runner up for MOTM, was the something else Norwich needed, never really had a clear chance thou, played a good game, looked very sharp and worked well with ashton. He is a totally different player upfront, and just goes to show that playing players out of position affects their game.
Would definitely like to see more of Hendo, and he should definitely start next game.

Dicky, please would you recommend a decent optician to me, because what I saw yesterday, especially in the second half, bears no resemblance to what you saw. We were a disorganised shambles beaten by one of the worst teams ever to visit Carrow Road.

This has become a bit of a crusade for you now, hasn''t it, supporting Worthington no matter how badly he is managing the team. No wonder that so many people give you "special attention", as you call it.

"Unitam logica falsa tuam philosophiam totam suffodiant", to use a Latin phrase.

Taking 6 as an average performance how can we have so many players above par when the result performance was so poor? 

It takes more than just Brennan or just Flem or just Hughes or just [fill blank] to have a poor team performance - I guess thats why my scores tend to be lower than most.

OTBC

Andrew - it seems we are scoring differently. I guess I was following the CM system where 5 would be poor, 6 average, 7 good and 8 outstanding. Scores below 5 and above 8 are rare. Using this system, any 3s and 4s for the game against Wednesday would be hard to justify IMO.

Generally, there seems to be consensus over the defence apart from Fleming. Those who thought he played badly may be being influenced by the fact that they see him as a centre back and are influenced by past performances this season. On the evidence of Saturday, he was pretty much on a par with the other defenders IMO. Yes, he struggled for pace on at least one or two occasions but so did both Davenport and Doherty. All defenders made important last ditch challenges but I am a bit concerned as to why so many were needed against a team like Wednesday.

For the midfield, I think all agree Brennan was poor - although IMO 3 is unduly harsh. We all like Hughes attitude and commitment, but his performance was poor - ''winning it and then giving it away'' is a fair comment. Most seem to agree that Safri was our best player. I really can''t see that anyone thought Ashton outshone him but each to their own view I guess. Most seem to think Marney was poor so I have been thinking again about him. I still think he did well and is IMO our best player in that position (accepting that we don''t have many options but I think he has played better out right than in centre midfield which is I think his preferred position). He is attack minded and crosses the ball well. I don''t think he attacks the box enough when play is coming in from our left.

Up front, the main differences in opinion seem to relate to Ashton. I agree that he looks class at times but I feel he should have scored at least once with the opportunities he had. I agree that Henderson/Ashton combination looked more threatening than Ashton/Huckerby.

So what does that mean for tomorrow''s starting line. I guess it might be

Green

Fleming (or Colin or MLJ)

Davenport

Doherty

Drury

Marney (if fit - if not, I would like to see Colin or MLJ there - but guess we might see Thorne)

Hughes (although I would like to see him gamble with Rossi Jarvis)

Safri

Huckerby

Ashton

Henderson

[quote]Taking 6 as an average performance how can we have so many players above par when the result & performance was so poor? It takes more than just Brennan or just Flem or just Hughes or just [fi...[/quote]

well to be fair some players had a good game, safri was a big impact on the midfield, hendo did good when he came on and ashton was always a threat.

I think its more indeviduals than team work, hence the problem we are having, if you base it on a team effort out of ten i would give them a 5, they made some good moves but once again, the finishing was poor which is down to the indevidual......