Sign in to follow this  
Alejandra

Can someone recommend me a good book?

Nothing crazy that would take forever to read, and not a drama that I will nod off to, just something that is engrossing please [:)]

[quote user="Alejandra"]Nothing crazy that would take forever to read, and not a drama that I will nod off to, just something that is engrossing please [:)][/quote]Sure thing. In no particular of importance or subject:PG Wodehouse -           Any of the Jeeves and Wooster books (some of the best comedy writing ever I reckon) CS Lewis -                    Prince Caspian (although any of the Narnia books are wonderful)Peter Hitchens -            The Abolition of Liberty (Although you won''t get any left wing brownie points)Neil Gaiman -               Coroline (or Neverwhere / American Gods for something slighlty more adult)Terry Pratchet -             Nightwatch (There is too many to choose from but this is my favourite)Jeremy Paxman -          The English (a left wing brownie point perhaps)Richard Adams -           Watership Down (even better than the cartoon)Tom Stoppard -             ArcadiaJane Austin -                 Pride and Prejudice (my favourite novel)Artur Colin Doyle-        The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes Shakespere -                   Much Ado About Nothing (Beatrice as the snarling voice of early feminism)Philip Pullman -            Northern Lights Have fun and say if you read any!

Conn Iggulden - Emperor series. Four fantastically writen novels on the life of Julius Caesar and Marcus Brutus. Also his Conqueror series about the life of Genghis Khan all the way to Kublai Khan. Fantastically written books, reaaly keeps you engrossed throughout every book.Also check out The Internet Is A Playground and I''ll Go Home Then, It''s Warm And Has Chairs by David Thorne. Read both of these in less than two days due to just how hilarious they are. For anyone who hasn''t heard of him check out his website, absolutely brilliant. www.27bslash6.com

"The Kite Runner," by Khaled Husseini. Brilliant and shows the the whole Afganistan mess in a different light.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]"The Kite Runner," by Khaled Husseini. Brilliant and shows the the whole Afganistan mess in a different light.[/quote]''A thousand splendid suns'' also by Khaled HosseiniAnd the best basic reasoning behind the US hegemonial drive and why 911 was so crucial to the ''war on terror'' to follow, from Zbigniew Brzezinski, its called ''The Grand Chessboard'' should you be the one in a million interested in whats going on today.

[quote user="nevermind"][quote user="BroadstairsR"]"The Kite Runner," by Khaled Husseini. Brilliant and shows the the whole Afganistan mess in a different light.[/quote]

''A thousand splendid suns'' also by Khaled Hosseini
And the best basic reasoning behind the US hegemonial drive and why 911 was so crucial to the ''war on terror'' to follow, from Zbigniew Brzezinski, its called ''The Grand Chessboard'' should you be the one in a million interested in whats going on today.

[/quote]

Most of us are intensly interested, Homs included (and you can add horrified and sleepless to that.) Have you any practical suggestions as to our course of action, apart from writing out regular cheques to the appropriate charitable organisations that is?

the Face - Dean KoontzPet Sematary (SIC) - stephen Kingboth of these are pretty goodPet sematary is worth it for the last 2 chapters alone!

I Am Ozzy (hilarious and interesting too)

Life, Keith Richard''s autobiography (ditto the above)

Anything by John Steinbeck. I have read: Of Mice and Men, Cannery Row, The Pearl and Travels with Charley - all very good and easy to read. I shall have to try East of Eden, and The Grapes of Wrath next.

The Railway Man by Eric Lomax is pretty good too.

Well travelling Trucker. (Sorry I jest). Glad you threw in some new ideas.Cannery Row and " Old Tennis shoes"rings a bell in the addled brain. On the same subject Orwell and "Down and Out in Paris and London" was an easy read.I am afraid Alejandra some of us cuddle up with a cat...sorry Rico.But Arnold Bennett( not the homlette) wrote some popular fairly easy to read stuff.Riceyman Steps. (A warning google it first) But guess you are old enough. hexAnd "The |Grand Babylon Hotel" is  fun. The pages have turned grey since I first read them.Jack Reacher is getting towards the end of towns that need getting rid of bad guys.Charlie Parker is always an interesting read,and you do have to do it from the start as mentioned above..hex

Hexem mentioned Jack Reacher (the hero in Lee Child novels). I read Worth Dying For and thought is was good. I won''t read another Jack Reacher just yet as there is so much more out there, and I really have not read very much at all I''m ashamed to say.

One author I just don''t get is Agatha Christie - her stuff is t-t-terrible t-t-tripe as one of Evelyn Waugh''s characters would have put it. There is very little flesh on the bones of the great lady''s characters.

Agatha and the thousand murders!Considering her writing style she had a strange life.Apart from heading off to the sea  for a bit.of a breakHer husband and she discovered Nineveh..Funny old thing in those times The spooks were on the hillside in tents & shorts. hex

Currently reading the new non-Rebus,Ian Rankin book.The change of direction has done his writing the world of good.

I mentioned on a long ago thread which was endorsed by another.The books of Alan Furst. Espionage in Europe during the 1930s.Anti Fascist but quite easy reading. I bought them for MrsHex who was not well.Sadly there was no time for her to read them. I had a bit of spare time so I did .Then I passed them to my brother who has since read themand passed them on to his best mate he loved them and his wife is now reading them.That is a book club for you.hex

Try Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks - way better than the recent TV dramatisationhttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Birdsong-Sebastian-Faulks/dp/0099387913/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344016101&sr=1-1The last 2 books by William Boyd have also been excellenthttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Restless-William-Boyd/dp/0747586209/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344016293&sr=1-1http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ordinary-Thunderstorms-William-Boyd/dp/1408802856/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1344016293&sr=1-6