Sign in to follow this  
nik wyer

Worthy`s biggest mistake since last season?

Of all the comings and goings since last summer, what in your opinion has been worthy`s biggest mistake?

I have to say i agreed with letting Helveg go, i know he showed touches of class, but for me never seemed fully committed to the canaries,

Svensson? i was not overly happy or sad with Svensson going,

Holt, great heart, but left maybe a year too late,

I know there are others, but for me, it has to be Marc Edgeworthy leaving, i reckon our first two goals conceded were both mistakes, from the right back position, Louis Jean, seems shaky to me and fairly lightweight, Collins impressed me in his first match, but since then has been very unconvincing!!

It seems he upset worthy, by not signing the contract extension last year, and worthy has held it against him!!!!

Agreed, It was disappointing to see Eddy go. But we dont know what he was demanding/what the club were offering etc etc

I think our biggest mistake this season is that we stil have no idea what our best team is (Like last season when it took til around February). Granted, injuries havent helped him.

Not investing in a centre back for this season. Last season we lost Mackay and Roberts. These two players were commanding presences on and off the pitch. We still do not have a defender who bosses the defence like Malky.

Not investing in a centre back for this season. Last season we lost Mackay and Roberts. These two players were commanding presences on and off the pitch. We still do not have a defender who bosses the defence like Malky.

Biggets mistake is that team loose too many players(even is not all first team)and now we is too light weight team without confidence + we have smallest squad ever.

With Internationals like Helveg,Svenson,Jonson + some of Edworthy,Francis team now shuld be much different much confident and also oposision will have more respect.

Worthy understimate this levell + lost too many squad members and add nothing special.........this is for team that need to back same season to top is too much.

Still I think is too earlie  realisticly manager to be released from board that belive  too much on him.

We now have time(12 days to next game) + need at least 2 new players till end of market + must win against 4th from bottom Plymouth.

If not this sure will be crisis

p.s.

Sorry for my English Im from Bulgaria

[quote]Of all the comings and goings since last summer, what in your opinion has been worthy`s biggest mistake? I have to say i agreed with letting Helveg go, i know he showed touches of class, but for me n...[/quote]

Not learning from past performances and coaching changesinto the team during the summer...

OTBC

Going out with all guns blazing against Fulham!!

Ten men behind the ball and eak out a nil nil and we would be bottom of the prem today instead!!

Still hindsight is a wonderful thing

And I STILL back Worthy to turn it around....for 6 more games anyway

Letting Eddy was not that big of a mistake, look at his age, and the youth we have brung in, both eddy and helveg being old and now we have a young right-back and a more experianced championship right back.

sounds good to me, not a mistake at all 

Well his biggest ever mistake was not signing Peter Crounch when he had the chance 1.2 million the official word was we could not afford him - but we found 1m for Jonson and 750000 for Doherty after that then 4m for Ashton if we signed Crounch then we would still be in the Premiership.

Since last season - Resting on our laurels - thinking that this league would be a stroll - a relegation battle against teams who have nothing to play for - Birmingham, Charlton , Newcastle, Man Utd etc.. is a lot different to the start of a new campaign against a set of teams eager to get one over on you.

I think you''ll find it was his wages. Players on £5m transfer fees tend to have commiserate wages.

The cost of Harper, Crouch and Huckerby was £500,000 for 3 months so their combined annual wages would have been at minimum £2m. Given that we were probably not paying the full amount it is most likely that a higher figure was the total.

We were stretched in taking on Huckerby. There was no budget for a player at that wage level given that we had to plan for remaining in the same division the following season.

A lot of guff is talked about transfer fees and the affordability of players. It is the wages and contract that cost.

Look at our dimwittted neighbours who bragged about luring ''flapper ''Marshall away from us without having to pay us a fee. He cost them in excess of £3m.

Biggest mistake? Not replacing the players he let go during the summer break with quality. Particularly in midfield and defence.

We effectively we lost two tiers of players in a very short space of time, and this has had a hugely negative impact on the squad. Francis and his understudies Holt and Mulryne. Bentley and his understudy Jonson. Helveg and his understudy Edworthy. Their replacements, Hughes, Jarrett, Marney, and Louis-Jean etc are all ordinary lower division players. It''s no surprise that their inclusion in the side drags the team down to their level, and look where that is.

Also, the age old defensive problem that wasn''t solved a year ago. Doherty and Charlton have lingered in the reserves as a constant reminder of what bad buys they truly were.