Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Please help save UEA Music School

Hey guys,

As a long time member and poster, I know The Pink''un has been renowned in the past at helping out with charities and petitions, and for a change it''s myself who is asking for your help.

I am a student at the UEA, and you may well have heard on the news that there are planned closures of the UEA Music School, which would devastate the arts and humanities across campus. The UEA Music School is 8th best in the country (according to the guardian), and has a very high success rate. It is also 3rd for student satisfaction. Documents from an inquiry into the success of the department back in 2002 have been ''misused'' to drive the closure of the school.

If I could please ask for just 30 seconds of your time to fill out this petition, all you need to include is your name and location. It would be a great help to a strong protest which already includes the backing of celebrities such as Zane Lowe, Coldplay, Jools Holland and Brian Eno amongst others.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dHQyd2xkd0I2aDlsTWJGemExb0NpRUE6MQ

I''m afraid I can''t add links as I''m using chrome, so if someone could do so that''d be magical.

If you''d like more information on the protests etc., please visit: http://saveueamusic.org/

Thank you very, very much for your time.

OTBC.

Because we need more Lawyers don''t we, what with about 80 people chasing each Training Contract......

The Music School is more than just delivering Music Degree''s Jas.

What about all the bands on campus that need to practice? Or people who play for fun etc.

It''s all about culture, and leisure.

Besides, the actual issue is the manner in which the matter has been dealt, by the misuse of information etc.

AndyJR - "Because we need more Lawyers don''t we, what with about 80 people chasing each Training Contract.."

Precisely - youngsters need to be learning trades which lead to ''ordinary'' jobs - it''s why the Tories rightly put up university fees as a way of encouraging youth to actually work for a living - you can''t have every tw@t getting a Degree when it mostly proves unproductive.

I like Brian Eno and his work with Bowie, but if he and other millionaires feel so strongly about keeping music schools, by all means stump up the readies from their own pockets.

Don''t hold your breath.

Shyster, I presume you are from Norfolk. Until I went to University, I had no idea how much culture can be explored and learnt. Norfolk is probably the least culturally diverse county, and music is a fantastic way to share and exchange culture. The music school offers many cultural diversities, and the fact it is world renown speaks for itself - aside of this it has a lot of affiliations with local colleges, school and music venues, as well as extra curricular activities.

If you don''t want to sign the petition, then don''t, but many thanks to those of you that have.

Given that the country is deep in debt and assuming we don''t want to end up like another Italy or Greece then we have no choice but to cut back on soft subjects such as the arts. And why is this posted in the NCFC forum anyway, AJ?

Duly signed AJ.  Unlike Shyster I can see the value of the UEA and its Music Department to the wider community.  Not only for old codgers like me but also for my daughter who has benefited greatly from the facilities avilable at the UEA and is now studying at York.  I''ve posted the link to her to circulate.  Good luck! [8]

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Given that the country is deep in debt and assuming we don''t want to end up like another Italy or Greece then we have no choice but to cut back on soft subjects such as the arts. And why is this posted in the NCFC forum anyway, AJ?[/quote]

Believe it or not ''soft'' subjects like music and the arts add not only to the culture of this country,but also a fat chunk to our GDP.Britain punches well above it''s weight in these subjects and we should be careful not to get rid just because it''s an easy target.

re: rock the boat

The closure of the music school is not because it hasn''t got successful potential financially, it''s because of poor management.

Why is it posted here? Check the start of my first post.

I''ve posted here for a long, long time. Way back when the pink''un forums were born. It disgusts me that people on here now try and turn an innocent ask for help into some kind of slagging and abusive merit.

If you don''t want to sign, then don''t, but there''s no need to blight something that others may really care about.

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Rock The Boat"]Given that the country is deep in debt and assuming we don''t want to end up like another Italy or Greece then we have no choice but to cut back on soft subjects such as the arts. And why is this posted in the NCFC forum anyway, AJ?[/quote]

Believe it or not ''soft'' subjects like music and the arts add not only to the culture of this country,but also a fat chunk to our GDP.Britain punches well above it''s weight in these subjects and we should be careful not to get rid just because it''s an easy target.

[/quote]

You can''t possibly believe the revenue from such organisations exceeds the cost to the taxpayer. Nay, Herman, we no longer reside in the land of subsidy that the previous government created - and with the current economy things like this have to go.

[img]http://i53.tinypic.com/11jazc1.jpg[/img][img]http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/emoticons/emotion-29.gif[/img]Do the tw@t....let''s do the tw@t...[img]http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/emoticons/emotion-29.gif[/img]

[img]http://services.pinkun.com/FORUMS/PINKUN/CS/emoticons/emotion-2.gif[/img]

Liking the picture Shyster,and i agree that funding is a big problem,(aren''t the new tuition fees supposed to help?) But to me it seems that the arts are always the first to go,like they are worthless subjects,when they are actually quite important. 

[quote user="Herman "]Liking the picture Shyster,and i agree that funding is a big problem,(aren''t the new tuition fees supposed to help?) But to me it seems that the arts are always the first to go,like they are worthless subjects,when they are actually quite important. [/quote]

Hey, don''t get me wrong, Herman, I''d love for such schools to remain if it wasn''t for the lack of funds, and we could all suggest many more things that should be knocked on the head instead - such as getting out of the Euro and easing of Foreign Aid for starters.

In AJ''s defence I bring your attention to the fact that there is no appropriate forum for such subjects - there use to be the ''it''s not just about football'' forum, or whatever it was named, but that went when Sportsdesk Pete decided to completely balls the site up a few months back.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Herman "]Liking the picture Shyster,and i agree that funding is a big problem,(aren''t the new tuition fees supposed to help?) But to me it seems that the arts are always the first to go,like they are worthless subjects,when they are actually quite important. [/quote]

Hey, don''t get me wrong, Herman, I''d love for such schools to remain if it wasn''t for the lack of funds, and we could all suggest many more things that should be knocked on the head instead - such as getting out of the Euro and easing of Foreign Aid for starters.
[/quote]

Damned right. Absolutely. Nail on the head. If we ever get into the euro the very first thing we should do is get the hell out of the euro...

The arts are one of the first things to be controlled and censored within totalitarian states when democratic governments fall. Dictators know the importance and value of art - music included.

Ars Gratia Artis.

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]Given that the country is deep in debt and assuming we don''t want to end up like another Italy or Greece then we have no choice but to cut back on soft subjects such as the arts. And why is this posted in the NCFC forum anyway, AJ?[/quote]

In AJ''s defence I bring your attention to the fact that there is no appropriate forum for such subjects - there use to be the ''it''s not just about football'' forum, or whatever it was named, but that went when Sportsdesk Pete decided to completely balls the site up a few months back.[/quote]And there we finally have something i can wholeheartedly agree with you on.About as complimentary to the function of discussion as a vasectomy is to the producing of children.

P.S signed it.

And agree with you completely AJ.

When people call Music, Film, Drama etc worthless or however else they want to describe it, they seem to forget that they (probably) will quite happily enjoy music, films, tv theatre etc. And certainly, to get into the film or TV industry now, you really need to know what your doing and also need to know the critical/theoretical side to it. If you won the lottery and fancied making a film, you couldn''t just go ahead and do it, you need to know how and believe me its not all that straight forward.

So while you think it may be a waste of money funding degrees in such subject, but people doing these degrees are just as likely to do something worthwhile as people who did any kind of traditional degree. (In fact, the boyfriend of one of my house mates this year got a 2:1 Law degree at Kent University, and is currently working at a nightclub.....)

Shyster maybe has a point, there probably are too many people doing degrees. Maybe the increased fees will put people off (probably what the government are hoping for). I remember this Aim Higher Bus coming to my high school, when I was in Year 9 or 10, think it was year 9. And they were saying how wonderful it is to go to Sixth form and university it will lead to a better job etc. And while, they or other sources may have also given advice on getting jobs, the emphasis at schools is clearly to stay in education for as long as possible. But now, so many people doing degrees its just as hard to get a job as it is if you leave school at 16. In my year doing FRTV, there is probably about 60-80 people. In one year, at one University. There will be hundreds, maybe even thousands of people graduating from Film/Media degrees in the year i graduate across the UK, and the year before that a similar number, and the year after a similar number. And there aren''t nearly enough jobs to cover it all. To be honest, being a not overly confidant person I''ve kind of given up on the idea of actually working in the film industry before i''ve even tried (and that attitude won''t get me anywhere either :P) because i''m nothing special in my year group, which in itself is probably nothing special either, now if I really try and push it i''m sure i''d get somewhere at some point, but still.

Anyway, i''ve been going on for far too long about nothing important :P

After the introduction of the English B it is obvious that the creative subjects are going to come under pressure from schools chasing league table results, to parents trying to give their children the best chance to get into one of the top universities. This then follows on to higher education as principals look for ways of securing maximum funding.

The problem is, the new range of subjects will (according to M.Gove) give our students the best chance of entering the workplace in the 21st century. The students will all know how to sit and pass exams, however the one thing that will be missing will be that creative spark that makes the difference.

No other country in the world can boast the depth and breadth of musical and creative talent that is available in this country.

If we allow intitutions such as the UEA to close down their creative departments we will all be culturally poorer.

Music as a subject instills discipline and dedication, both of which are qualities that are transferable to any line of work.

In terms of the financial impact on the government coffers, the arts generates £2 for every £1 that it is given.

Please sign the petition. The arts need our help!

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Rock The Boat"]Given that the country is deep in debt and assuming we don''t want to end up like another Italy or Greece then we have no choice but to cut back on soft subjects such as the arts. And why is this posted in the NCFC forum anyway, AJ?[/quote]

In AJ''s defence I bring your attention to the fact that there is no appropriate forum for such subjects - there use to be the ''it''s not just about football'' forum, or whatever it was named, but that went when Sportsdesk Pete decided to completely balls the site up a few months back.[/quote]

Like the inconsistent application of the site code resulting in many posters not bothering to post on this site anymore.

Very important to look after the Arts and cultural interests.I bet all those MPs wanting to get rid of them studied them during their education.The Arts are important to making well-rounded people who make informed decisions and can lead a balanced life. This clearly by-passed Gove.The Tories have no industries left to privatise so are attacking our education and NHS by privatising it through the back door. If UEA''s Music School is allowed to close it will be a catastrophe and could well be the beginning of the end for Arts in this country.Once lost, the country will suffer.Imagine the world without the creative arts - what a dull place it would be.

A music student, hmmmm?So that would be someone who lounges around in bed until the middle of the afternoon, at the tax payers expense, AND can play a tamborine.Get a hair cut, hippy!Students out!Mungo

Not really sure why this has been moved to Music where nobody will ever see it...