Sign in to follow this  
Benny

Gardening (politic free zone)

I''m dying to join in with this thread! Can someone please explain in simple terms how to upload my own photos to include in a post.I can use Firefox or IE if that makes a difference. Pictures are in My Pictures on my PC.Thanks in advance.WoaS.

Herman asked the question in the photography thread I started. Just follow those instructions its simple wings.

[img]http://livingfield.scri.ac.uk/files/images/Garden/IMG_4469_bulrush_210.jpg[/img]

Being naturists, the wife & I were naked doing the gardening at the tail-end of Summer when she stumbled over a watering-can and that above went right up her pineapple fritter.

Got too many of the bloody things in the end.Got loads drying,thrown quite a few and eaten just as many.Going to grow less next year and a smaller variety.These turned out to be enormous,about the length of a hand,and too mild.

[quote user="Shyster"][img]http://livingfield.scri.ac.uk/files/images/Garden/IMG_4469_bulrush_210.jpg[/img]

Being naturists, the wife & I were naked doing the gardening at the tail-end of Summer when she stumbled over a watering-can and that above went right up her pineapple fritter.[/quote]

[:D]

Tell her it''s good for insulation.Keep her warm if nothing else[:S]

[quote user="Shyster"][img]http://livingfield.scri.ac.uk/files/images/Garden/IMG_4469_bulrush_210.jpg[/img]

Being naturists, the wife & I were naked doing the gardening at the tail-end of Summer when she stumbled over a watering-can and that above went right up her pineapple fritter.[/quote]

Was that picture taken before or after her accident?

Just a tip, I am back from the Sunday Market Boot sale and have picked up about 10 Gardening Magazines, some still in the polythene covers for the fantastic price of £1.75. As they are priced at £3.45 each and I also was given them in an organic carrying bag, I am very pleased and know what I will be reading for the next few months. I find reading about gardening matters online is OK but printing out the pages and taking them to the greenhouse becomes a bind after a while but taking a mag is preferable. They are last years mags but gardening is not something which changes much over the years and the info is still relevant.

[quote user="Benny"]Just a tip, I am back from the Sunday Market Boot sale and have picked up about 10 Gardening Magazines, some still in the polythene covers for the fantastic price of £1.75. As they are priced at £3.45 each and I also was given them in an organic carrying bag, I am very pleased and know what I will be reading for the next few months. I find reading about gardening matters online is OK but printing out the pages and taking them to the greenhouse becomes a bind after a while but taking a mag is preferable. They are last years mags but gardening is not something which changes much over the years and the info is still relevant.[/quote]

Fantastic, nay, riveting information there, Benny.Your life must be very full.

[quote user="Benny"]Should we start a Joke of the day thread

Thank goodness it wasnt A RED HOT POKER""""[/quote]

I had a lovely chicken tarka earlier - it''s like chicken tikka only a little bit otter.

Many thanks for all your help on what lives in our back garden. Will be tackling the bamboo in pic 2 next week as it is starting to take over.

[quote user="Herman "]Got too many of the bloody things in the end.Got loads drying,thrown quite a few and eaten just as many.Going to grow less next year and a smaller variety.These turned out to be enormous,about the length of a hand,and too mild.[/quote]

Herman, on a serious note, I''ve got a couple of chilli plants growing indoors but I''m sure they''re making too slow a progress - they''re of the Jalapeno variety and the plants seem to be stuck at 5 inches or so in height with the stems extremely thin - they''ve been growing, or rather not growing, for over three months, ffs!

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Herman "]Got too many of the bloody things in the end.Got loads drying,thrown quite a few and eaten just as many.Going to grow less next year and a smaller variety.These turned out to be enormous,about the length of a hand,and too mild.[/quote]

Herman, on a serious note, I''ve got a couple of chilli plants growing indoors but I''m sure they''re making too slow a progress - they''re of the Jalapeno variety and the plants seem to be stuck at 5 inches or so in height with the stems extremely thin - they''ve been growing, or rather not growing, for over three months, ffs!
[/quote]

It could be just one of those years.My sister-in-laws failed this year and she normally gets a great crop.Mine grew alright but took ages to ripen.

A few suggestions.They need loads of sun and warmth,which this summer hasn''t helped.Also you may have started them too late,mid spring is a good time.Check the soil as well,there might be a bug chomping at the roots,which slows them and eventually kills them.

Chillies are far too expensive to grow yourself. Just stick this in the freezer;

[URL=http://www.imagebam.com/image/e1936d159474408][IMG]http://thumbnails39.imagebam.com/15948/e1936d159474408.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

[quote user="Herman "]

[quote user="Shyster"][quote user="Herman "]Got too many of the bloody things in the end.Got loads drying,thrown quite a few and eaten just as many.Going to grow less next year and a smaller variety.These turned out to be enormous,about the length of a hand,and too mild.[/quote]

Herman, on a serious note, I''ve got a couple of chilli plants growing indoors but I''m sure they''re making too slow a progress - they''re of the Jalapeno variety and the plants seem to be stuck at 5 inches or so in height with the stems extremely thin - they''ve been growing, or rather not growing, for over three months, ffs![/quote]

It could be just one of those years.My sister-in-laws failed this year and she normally gets a great crop.Mine grew alright but took ages to ripen.

A few suggestions.They need loads of sun and warmth,which this summer hasn''t helped.Also you may have started them too late,mid spring is a good time.Check the soil as well,there might be a bug chomping at the roots,which slows them and eventually kills them.

[/quote]

I was told not to put them in direct sunlight and also did notice these tiny black ''storm-fly'' type of creatures often flying up from the soil whenever I watered - ''reckon they''re buggered now, but I don''t have the heart to destroy them -- I''ll just let ''em die a natural death [:(]

[quote user="SHRIMPER"]

[quote user="Shyster"]

I''ll just let ''em die a natural death [:(]
[/quote]

Bit like this forum then?

[/quote]

Star your chillies of early next year, indoors of greenhouse ca. end of march, make sure they got a good soil and do not feed them at all, just water every second day, nut not too much. By end of August you should have loads of chillies. Good luck.

yes shrimper, off to other fishing grounds it seems. Been really busy these last few days, not that anything happened at all...... honest.:) absolutely nothing.

Benny - it depends what kind of gardening you want to do as to your choice of plants.Personally because of lack of time I like gardens that require minimal maintenance. No lawn just weeding and pruning but lots of colour all year round. I''m not a great gardener more of a dabbler.A good way to get plants you like is to take cuttings from friends'' gardens and that also gives a link for remembering and making a plant special. Also packets of mixed seeds are great value. I love cottage garden selections as many of those self-seed so become a good investment for colour and cut flowers. White Nigella for meAlso like plants that cut be rooted from cutting easily. Fuschia, hebe, rosemary, euonymus to name a few.

Thanks IF for the advice, will keep it in mind as my elderly neighbour has a garden full of well established plants and we have a good relationship in helping each other out, gardening wise, that is. It is a long flat plot both front and back so am having to build a rockery just to give it some interest.

Got a bargain at B&Q yesterday they were selling off their garden arbours and arches before the new stock somes in, got £25 quid off, quite pleased about that and worth taking a look if it is something you are looking for. I will have a go at the seeds next year for a start and pick up shrubs where I can, as IF advises and in about ten years should have a bit of a show (hopefully)

I have grown them every year for many many years now. First, one planted for each of my children and a bit of a competition to see who''s grew tallest. and now one for each grandchild (11) for the same reason. It is a good way to get kids interested in gardening as they can see the results very quickly. Get the right seed and you can get some spectacular results. Grow them in full sun and against a wall or fence, somewhere where you can support them.

OK . I have tried to stop posting .... Hasn''t worked.First of all take care what you pinch from another garden. I have made 3 mistakes.A tiny Euphorbia from a Pub garden. Looked nice, but is an absolute weed.Sunflowers are a bit of a one stop flower unless you want the seeds to eat or for birds.Pink Hollyhocks would be nice if you want a tall plant.Mine were trimmed after the summer and are 5ft high again. Full of flowers.Don''t tell anyone about climate change (ooops ).....    (No Politics hex).And they self seed,They go everywhere but are easy to uproot. Unlike elder. hex

So it seems we are 50/50 on the sunflowers.I do a bit and chuck seeds in a newly dug bag of compost which I spread.Sad to say the cat gets there first,hex