Sign in to follow this  
SHRIMPER

PHOTOGRAPHY

Crikey Herman ,I know a couple of tinnies shrink the Percy,Strewth mate I never knew they made them that small.Never seen a memorial like those. I think a lot of ANZACs and others would be glad if you posted,on the sites mentioned. They may be there already. But it takes a long time tofilm a cemetary.It is a hobby and some people travel the world.I only visited Runnymede about 10 years ago. As usual a good gastropub in the village!  hex

Nice to have a craig murray free zone still.Shrimper ,thanks for those trawler reposts some time ago elsewhere.Older bro was always indifferent to my attempts at keeping family history alive.(I videod everything first and then when Gates invented Colossus I stuck everthing on CDs)He''s got hooked so to speak. He has a favourite fismonger south of London..On the spur of the moment he asked about the fish, he is taking the snaps into the shop.I said it was a Ling on the phone last night. As you mentioned.He is now in contact with a forum, something which he kept away from in the past, about the boat itself.Mostly about the RNIPS. The trawler survived. I have yet to find out more!.Hex

I guess Benny was right to offer advice. I have just looked on Amazon for "Harry Tate''s Navy",And there is my whole list of recent youtube views and more suggestions that I had never heard of.We really are being watched. So Ronnie Lane,Syd,Steve Marriot you live on in my computer.I never minded the old cookies but this is being ridiculous. I was looking for a book.....hex

Old Bill is still LINGering around Hex.

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

I wonder who took the photographs. Brownie Box camera. I suppose. About 1933/4.I still have no idea how he ended up in Persia. In 1938.There is so much in old cupboards to reveal the pastEven his time in Tunisia is a bit of a Bletchley mystery to me.hex.

Too young for for "Allelinine and Karla."1927 is not possible. Mother trying to help us out in years later. Nice looking young lad.The family were well known as film star boys in that area.I had to use old bank statements and calenders to re organise old photos into order.

Need to get a decent camera,only got a crappy phone.This could have been a much better photo,

[IMG]http://i1123.photobucket.com/albums/l547/stefanjohn/DSC00034.jpg[/IMG]

Photography threads do not come to an end unless SDP wipes.

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

Jessops are doing a really good deal on the new Nikon 3001 fantastic spec and a fantastic deal  £425 with lens. Get down there and grab one before they all go.  It is not a bridge camera but the real deal.

Any tips on a decent camera that will fit in the pocket.Camera-phones are handy,but the quality isn''t there.Too much stuff going on in one gadget.

The Cannon Powershot SX 210 is a great little compact. 14 times optical zoom + other features. My Mrs uses one because it do not take up any room in her bag. Don''t know why she worries about space as the kitchen sink is already in there. £140 at Jessops but look around. 

Haha,chilies are just a sideline.But i have far too many now and having to dry a couple of pounds worth.Bit weak unfortunately,but make a good alternative to capsicum.

Cheers for the camera tip Shrimper,will price shop[Y]

At last an on "ish" topic from Nevermind.I saw the advert for the neat Canon. I have not the patience with things too clever.I have had a Powershot Cannon since about 1998 and it''s going a bit odd.In case anyone is bothered the above typo was a non political gag.My first attempts with a videocam resulted in lots of footage of feet or the camera bag.You have to turn the b...... thing off!. Didn''t Michael Caine say something similar?Looks like Santa has an idea about a replacement ...From Lacock Abbey,to Box Brownies in the AtlanticTo phones and Chilly factories.. hex.

Must dash. Pumpkin and toad soup for the doorstep.Actually a few younger neighbours have asked by e-mail if they could call. Which was nice.I know I am rambling slightly but one has a daughter called Aurelia. I have to admit to googling that!. Once the younger lot have gone there is a dispersal order in place for about 2 sq miles.So the shutters come down. Happy Halloweeeeen. Bah Humbug.hex

All went off incredibly well between 18.30 19.15. timewise.A lot of children from abouut 3 to 9 ,all well governed by friendly parents.They were some incredible outfits that had to have been handmade.I asked daughter if she could help and in the end she was in hysterical giggles.Some of the children were so pleased and polite that it was a fun evening.Once I blew out the candles in the pumpkin we were not bothered again.Pumpkin soup went down well ,2nds all round....I left out the toad. Hex.

[quote user="hexem"] At last an on "ish" topic from Nevermind.[/quote]

Followed by...

[quote user="hexem"] All went off incredibly well between 18.30 19.15. timewise.
A lot of children from abouut 3 to 9 ,all well governed by friendly parents.
They were some incredible outfits that had to have been handmade.
I asked daughter if she could help and in the end she was in hysterical giggles.
Some of the children were so pleased and polite that it was a fun evening.
Once I blew out the candles in the pumpkin we were not bothered again.
Pumpkin soup went down well ,2nds all round....I left out the toad. Hex.
[/quote]

...in the Photography thread. You do make me chuckle sometimes.

I would have liked to have taken some photographs.But I think it was best not to!."Hows about that then.?"Back on topic in a trice....hex

"Carry on hex"......Now you are enticing me into the unknown. And a telling off I expect.The fact that I had to fit Barbara Windsor with a radio mike on her bum and the other bit on her bosom.is I think certainly a memory best kept to myself. I only did it once to show the dresser what to do. Miss Winsor certainly had a sense of humour.No .jpegs are available!hex.

A few pictures I took in China and Vietnam. It never ceased to amaze what people can carry on a bike.

Edited by SHRIMPER
Corrupted files

Interesting snaps of travel (non political of course). Liked the girl in flip flops hanging onto the back of a moped.This might be provocative. In the Telegraph today an eminent person said England should no longer becalled the foundation of the language as it has evolved throughout the world in different waysAnd should no longer be considered "the Queen''s English"....... Pidgin excepted.Your last snap shows "Post Office" in 2 places. The French seem pretty paranoid about Engerlish.I know the French were involved and the Japanese for a while and then the Americans for a bit.Post Office seems pretty English to me. "Art Gallery" anyone?. It wasn''t Quai D''Orsay.Hex. (My Christmas list also includes "1000 years of annoying the French").

I know you know your F1s from your F8s, so I hope your G/Ma didn''t suck eggs!Sean Flynn was an interesting topic. Photojournalists.I spent an interesting time tracing such chaps back to the Crimea and USA Civil War.Previously some poor dutch bloke had to spend months turning out a portrait of a valiant victor leading his troops into brave conflict. I Like the story of morphing The Coronation painting of Ed with his younger bro.Back to Flynn. Considering the conflict he sounds to have been a brave young man.I looked at WW2 more and the cameras they carried with them onto Normandy with the first US landings were pretty basic. I quote from Wiki. " I used a GI''s helmet and some chemicals I found in a bombedshop and developed the first rolls."  The art flourished for a while as magazines such as Time, Life, Picture Post,used new printing methods to heighten the quality of the pictures over newsprint. As some papers folded the image archives were taken on by Image libraries. For a fee now. Getty Images.I have a fond memory of Lindsay Duncan and Timothy Spall running a photo archiveabout to be shut down by a new owner.They found his past life.  Like "Who do you think you are?" But about 15-20 years ago.hex

Some very nice shots in the OP there Shrimper, I used to think I was a good photographer, but after doing my A Level, and then not really doing much photography for a couple of years, I have started to think i''m not all that good. I''ve probably got a few good images stored away, but since i''ve taken a few thousand, thats probably to be expected....

I''ll pick a few out tomorrow evening perhaps and post them on here, see what you think.

Good stuff Charlie.I like the NY photos.For some reason i prefer b/w photography.

Off up t''smoke for a day of photography tomorrow, mainly around the St Katherines dock area and then Greenwich (boats) If I take anything remotely half decent I will post a few.

If you get a chance have a look around the new Kings Cross station.They''ve done a good job on it,although you get a bit disorientated if you are a regular user of the station.